Author Topic: Problems after Windows update 1809  (Read 4064 times)

Offline Rumpleforskinne

• View Profile
Problems after Windows update 1809
« on: December 21, 2018, 08:36:08 pm »
After installing windows update 1809. Some problems I cannot fix with v4.4. It erased all my restore points. I tried uninstalling updates, reinstaling updates. Problems remain. I have multiple problems. I have run the latest edition of tweaking windows repair v4.4 multiple times in a row in safe mode with antivirus off. (Bitdefender)The version4.4 latest version at the time of writing this. Ater 1809 update. I thought I lost a bunch of programs but I l only lost half my icons from the home screen which I was able to regenerate icons 1 by 1. The programs were all still there. I cannot change default email or web browser to google. Windows Setting simply closes screen when I try. When I go back again Microsoft edge has not been changed. I can change some other default programs but NOT default email or web browser. Strange also even though I don't use Microsoft edge. It refuses to open. I cannot use Microsoft edge at all.  Nothing happens when clicked. I tried the settings Microsoft edge repair, reset at setting also nothing works. I have used the SFC file checker, Dism online cleanup multiple times in a row. I have run all repair options for V4.4 in order multiple times in a row  All the small problems remain. During the v4.4 repair process problems registering 340 files. Some Files could not be found. Other problems Access to some files was denied.  I really don't want to reset my PC. If anyone has any similar issues that were fixed without going nuclear with reset. I could use some help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problems after Windows update 1809
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 10:01:20 am »
When you update Win 10 with a feature update, it does remove your restore points.

If it's less than 10 days since you updated to 1809 you can revert to the previous build.

You do that by pressing and holding SHIFT throughout a Restart.

That will take you to the recovery environment - click on Troubleshoot - Advanced options - where you will see the option to go back to the previous version.

If it's still active then it will be the same colour as the other options, but faded if not.

That's the only way to go back to before a feature update as it won't let you uninstall it through the normal method.

The other of cause is to create regular system images you can restore with.