Author Topic: Windows 10 Start Menu File System Error (-2144926975) [SOLVED]  (Read 12806 times)

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
Windows 10 Start Menu File System Error (-2144926975) [SOLVED]
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:05:21 am »
Hello guys! FYI, this error happens after I used Windows Repair Software.
My Genuine OS Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 1803 has File system error (-2144926975) when I click these buttons in Start Menu:

Documents
Downloads
Pictures
Music
Videos

*Except: File Explorer button is functioning fine in Start Menu. Other buttons are working fine too.

This error happens ONLY in Start Menu options. I open those Folders (Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, Videos) in Windows Explorer, everything is fine, I can access the folders and all the files inside it.

I did all kind of these commands but nothing works:

CHKDSK
SFC
DISM

I also add a New User Account, but it still has a same error in New User Account.

What should I do? Should I reset my Windows 10? Please help...
Is there any script (regedit) to repair this error?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:18:28 am by avx19877, Reason: SOLVED »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Start Menu File System Error (-2144926975)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 03:00:18 pm »
This problem may have arisen because you are using an old version of the program.

The later versions have come about because of needing to update to mainly keep up with the changes to Permissions as Win 10 has been updated.

I would suggest that you try your restore points back to before you ran the repair program to see if that resolves.

What was the reason you ran the repair program ?

I always create a Macrium system image before test running the program should it have adverse effects on my system.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 03:06:52 pm by Boggin »

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:02:11 pm »
This problem may have arisen because you are using an old version of the program.

The later versions have come about because of needing to update to mainly keep up with the changes to Permissions as Win 10 has been updated.

I would suggest that you try your restore points back to before you ran the repair program to see if that resolves.

What was the reason you ran the repair program ?

I always create a Macrium system image before test running the program should it have adverse effects on my system.

Thanks Boggin for your advise. Unfortunately I did turn my System Restore off on my Windows 10. I don't create system image too.

I ran the repair program because I couldn't start Nox Player Android Emulator on my Windows 10. I thought my system had some errors so I ran the repair program.

So... Should I run the new version of repair program for better result?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 09:05:10 pm by avx19877 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 12:59:11 am »
I'd advise you to turn your System Protection on as you never know when you may need it and you should start creating system images as a further safeguard.

The later versions of the program auto create registry back ups prior to running the repairs but in your pic you didn't have that box checked, so it may not have created a registry back up for you to revert with.

The repair program creates an error on my system but I've found that running the repair program a second time resolved that error, so running the program again with the latest version may also resolve yours but create a manual restore point before running the program.

The program also has the option of creating a restore point but in a number of cases, while it says it has created one, it hasn't physically created it - so do that yourself.

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 05:58:23 am »
I'd advise you to turn your System Protection on as you never know when you may need it and you should start creating system images as a further safeguard.

The later versions of the program auto create registry back ups prior to running the repairs but in your pic you didn't have that box checked, so it may not have created a registry back up for you to revert with.

The repair program creates an error on my system but I've found that running the repair program a second time resolved that error, so running the program again with the latest version may also resolve yours but create a manual restore point before running the program.

The program also has the option of creating a restore point but in a number of cases, while it says it has created one, it hasn't physically created it - so do that yourself.

Wow, I rUN the newest version of this repair windows, voila my error is GONE now. everything works normal. Thanks. Wonderfull app. Even my Windows 10 goes faster  and smoother than before. Btw, I don't like to turn System Protection on because it will slow my system. Boggan, thanks a lot mate:smiley: :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:11:02 am »
I've never heard of system protection impacting on performance before.

What evidence to you have to support that claim ?

Windows only creates one when the machine is idle or sometimes after a non feature update.

Anyway, glad running the latest version resolved your problem.

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:32:30 am »
Never mind, maybe next time I will turn it on before I install new apps or make significant change to my system. I think that System Protection is always monitoring Explorer.exe and TrustedInstaller.exe, so I guess that I was wrong. But System Protection creates a big file in Drive C, right? My SSD's storage is small, so I turn it off.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 09:38:35 am »
You can set it to how much it uses, but if you are going to leave it off, then start creating system images onto an external HDD.

They've pulled me out of the mire on a few occasions.

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 10:02:50 am »
 :smiley: Yeah, thanks. I will create System Image after I buy new external HDD.  :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Start Menu File System Error (-2144926975) [SOLVED]
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 02:07:22 pm »
That's good :)