Author Topic: Windows (10) Defender Disabled  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Bucky Brown

• View Profile
Windows (10) Defender Disabled
« on: January 15, 2019, 01:15:33 pm »
Windows Defender Threat & Virus Protection disabled when run Tweaking.com Windows Repair Pro V4 (see attachment).  Other parts of Windows Defender (firewall, etc.) seem to be working OK.   Please advise as to how I can (1) re-enable Windows Defender Threat & Virus Protection and (2) configure Tweaking.com (or perhaps Windows 10 or Defender) so it doesn't create this problem in the future.  Many thanks,
[email protected]

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows (10) Defender Disabled
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 02:15:00 pm »
What is happening is that the repair program is no longer releasing from Safe Mode so some services are prevented from starting, which includes Windows Defender.

Shane produced v4.4.0 which was supposed to resolve this but for some reason it didn't and he is aware of it.

Restore points have been known to revert from this condition but in other cases, a Reset was needed.

There is a Reset option that preserves personal stuff but will delete any programs you may have installed, so if you need to go that route, then you will need the product keys for any paid for programs for when you reinstall them.

I can only apologise on behalf of Shane while he is working for a solution to this bug in his program.

Offline Bucky Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »
Boggin,
Thanks for the explanation.  Any idea as to how long it might take Shane to come up with the (hopeful) solution?
Regards,
Bucky

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 01:10:26 am »
I don't know - I've asked him but he's going to have to find out why it started doing it in the first place.

At a guess it may have been a side effect of having to keep the program up to date to make it compatible with the changes that are made to Win 10 by MS.

He did think he had found the solution which he incorporated in 4.4.0 but that hasn't worked.

Offline center311

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 06:47:14 am »
I don't know - I've asked him but he's going to have to find out why it started doing it in the first place.

At a guess it may have been a side effect of having to keep the program up to date to make it compatible with the changes that are made to Win 10 by MS.

He did think he had found the solution which he incorporated in 4.4.0 but that hasn't worked.

Any news on this yet? I'm having the same issue where I can't download new virus definition updates.  Do you know which settings should be avoided in Windows Repair Pro which were responsible for breaking this.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:20:14 am »
It's the actual program itself that isn't fully releasing the machine from Safe Mode where some services including Windows Defender are stopped from running.

Shane is still working on this and has asked me to ask if those affected have these registry keys, although he hasn't said what to do with them if they are present.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SafeBoot\Option
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Option

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\SessionManager\Environment
"SAFEBOOT_OPTION"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment
"SAFEBOOT_OPTION"

I haven't booted any of my machines into that mode yet to see if I have them and if they have any values.

To get into the registry, go Start - type regedit and press enter when it comes up and accept the UAC.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 08:48:54 am »
Do you have any restore points back to before you ran the program you could try to see if that gets you back to normal ?

Offline avx19877

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 10:00:41 am »
I think it is very important for users to run repair software in Safe Mode to avoid unnecessary errors.

Maybe run the repair program again in Safe Mode could fix it. I ran it twice in Safe Mode via Administrator account, then enable almost all settings in repair software (see attactment pictures, yes it took a very long time to fix the error). It can fix error on my Windows 10.

But I don't know it works or not with this kind of error in Windows Defender. Just try it if you want.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:06:42 am by avx19877 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 02:05:55 pm »
I ran the program twice to resolve another type of error it put onto my machine which then resolved it.

Are you saying that booting into Safe Mode with Networking and running the program a second time resolved the problem with WD ?

I cannot test that because I don't get a problem with my Norton Security after running the repair program so am unable to replicate it.

When I test run the program, I leave the App and Component repairs off.

When you use the program to boot into Safe Mode with Networking, rebooting after the repairs should return it to normal mode, but for some reason to be determined, it isn't doing that which results in the WD service not being able to start as it is isolated in Safe Mode.

It has nothing to do with what repairs are selected as far as I know.