Author Topic: Safe Mode inaccessible in most new repair jobs  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Kosayn

• View Profile
Safe Mode inaccessible in most new repair jobs
« on: January 16, 2019, 04:10:26 am »
Hi,  in the last couple weeks I find that most of the systems I have in for repairs in are unable to effectively reboot to safe mode from the Tweaking.com Windows Repair Tool.  Well, they DO reboot, but there's no way to log in once you get there - no password box, user, just a blank splash screen with accessibility, x'ed out network, and power.  No way to keyboard or mouse the splash screen away.

It's a strange trend, and I don't know whether to attribute it to a recent Windows 10 patch, a threat they have in common, the reboot instruction rather than setting it using MSCONFIG, or what.  Would appreciate any general insights, not looking for a step by step or help, but curious if anyone else is seeing this. 

I think the number of times I've seen this are getting to be more than anecdotal.  What I should do is try it out safe mode on a healthy system or two, I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:12:11 am by Kosayn »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Safe Mode inaccessible in most new repair jobs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:50:50 am »
This has been reported before and I've passed it on to Shane.

I think the only work around for the moment is to use Windows to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and then run the program.

What sort of problems have the machines had that required running Windows Repair on them ?

For the moment when running the program on Win 10 machines, I would advise creating a system image first.

Offline Kosayn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:51 am »
Hey, thanks for the heads up.  Yeah, good old shift and restart works fine still, I just got so used to using the WRT for it to save time!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:17:09 pm »
I don't use passwords on my laptops but WR has never failed to boot me into Safe Mode with Networking.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 02:56:13 pm »
I've had a reply back from Shane, but he's unable to replicate the error, so it may have to be assumed that it is an anomaly for some machines.

Are all the machines you've had this on are Win 10 ?

This OS has caused Shane more problems and headaches than he's ever had with others.

A recent problem has been where WR hasn't been fully releasing from Safe Mode which has stopped Windows Defender from working for a few.

It's never done it for me when I've test run the latest versions of the repair program, although they have caused another problem which was resolved by running the program a second time.