Author Topic: Windows Repair Pro on Vista x86 SP2  (Read 4829 times)

Offline front360

• View Profile
Windows Repair Pro on Vista x86 SP2
« on: February 14, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
When I open all repairs, I see that it shows that I'm using the Vista OS on the top of the repairs window.
My question is, I see lower down that window there are repairs selected(checked off) for Win 7 and Win 8, should I leave those selected, or unselect all the repairs that show a different OS then Vista?

Thanks in advance,
Don
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:28:20 pm by front360 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair Pro on Vista x86 SP2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:27 pm »
The program is designed to ignore repairs that don't apply to the OS such as those for Win 8/10 when they aren't the OS being used.

Which repairs do you see that are specific to Win 7 ?

What problems do you have that you need to run the repair program ?

Offline front360

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:54:54 pm »
So is this a bug, that it is offering me Win 8/10 repairs?
I definitely need to fix Sidebar.  DEP keeps closing and restarting the sidebar.

Here is a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:59:24 pm by front360 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 12:53:35 am »
No, it isn't a bug - they are the default repairs and would only apply if either Win 8.1 or Win 10 was the OS being used.

If you are worried about them then you can uncheck them prior to running the repairs.

Offline front360

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:10 pm »
I thought that the program would recognize my OS, and only offer repairs for it, no?  Are they fixes that also work for Vista, even though they only say Win 8/10?

Separate question about System Tweaks (Performance).  Would you recommend enabling all of them or do you have any advice on which ones I should be careful enabling?  How would I reset them back to Windows default if I needed to?(Not saying I would ever, but jic)

Thanks so much for the help.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 06:31:52 pm by front360 »

Offline front360

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 11:48:02 pm »
Also, I need to fix sidebar/gadgets, because sidebar crashes and restarts so frequently. Do I only choose that repair or should I do others that relate to sidebar somehow?  Which repair could fix Aero issues?

Thanks again.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:37:19 am »
I've found my Toshiba machines don't like being tweaked, so I've never tried these, but prior to test running each new version, I always create a system image should I need to go back.

As for selecting the repairs, I'd check the ones for Permissions and just the one for the sidebar/gadgets, but I've noticed that I get an error message for gadgets in Safe Mode with Networking - although they are something I've never used.

Where repairs are specific to an OS version such as for 8 and 10, those repairs will only be applied when they are the versions being used.

If you leave them checked, you will see the program skip over them when they aren't applicable, but you can uncheck those before running the program.

I don't know which repair deals specifically with Aero - you could run all of the repairs except those for 8 and 10 after creating a system image and then see if that resolves all of your problems.