Author Topic: Only booting in safe mode  (Read 6091 times)

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
Only booting in safe mode
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:17:59 am »
I ran the full registered Windows Repair in safe mode and now when I reboot, my Windows 10 machine will only run in safe mode. I have tried changing options in msconfig, but still nothing but safe mode. Any insight would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Only booting in safe mode
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 01:52:03 am »
Is this after running the latest version of the repair program 4.5.0 ?

Do you have any restore points to before you ran the program you could try to undo this ?

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 06:23:51 pm »
I have only one restore point and have tried using it several times with no luck. I will DL 4.5.0 and see if that helps.

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 11:13:01 pm »
I dl'd the latest version, 4.5.5, ran it and am still not able to boot into anything but safe mode. I have tried msconfig, checked my bios settings, and rebooted numerous times, with the same result, just safe mode, no normal startup.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 12:41:49 am »
I've reported this to Shane as it shouldn't have happened.

Sometimes when you only have one restore point showing, checking the box for Show more restore points can produce a couple more - have you tried that ?

I'd gotten mixed up with the version numbers - it's 4.4.5

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 09:48:34 am »
I don't have the option for "show more restore points".

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 02:13:31 pm »
Prior to checking that box in mine I only had the first restore point.

Does yours not display as mine ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 03:07:01 pm »
Shane hasn't gotten back on this yet but there is one thing you could try.

The repair program incorporates a safe mode undo application which should run automatically but you can run it manually.

Open Windows/File Explorer and open the following by double clicking on them -

You may have to double click on This PC to access Windows C: - Program Files (x86) - Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All in One) - files - then scroll down to and right click on the appropriate TweakingRemoveSafeBoot Application and select Run as administrator.

You should see a quick black flash as it runs then Restart to see if it reboots into normal mode.

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:39:48 pm »
Tried what you suggested and still in safe mode.  :cry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 03:07:51 am »
All I can suggest is a Reset which will keep your personal stuff but remove all installed 3rd party programs, but I don't know if you will be able to access the advanced boot options from Safe Mode on your machine.

I have a machine on 1809 and another on 1803 and have found that the 1809 machine won't boot into those options from Safe Mode but the 1803 will.

Having created a Macrium system image, the 1809 machine is undergoing a Reset to see if it can then.

One other thing I've found which now doesn't work is a bcededit cmd which would have also cancelled Safe Mode - that is producing an error of Element not found on both machines and even after booting up with install media and selecting Repair your computer on the install screen which gives you the advanced boot options, although you don't get the option to reset from there.

From a Command Prompt (Admin) or Powershell (Admin) enter bcdedit and you are looking for what it gives as your Windows Boot Loader identifier.

It will be either {current} or {default}

Enter this cmd and if successful, reboot to see if it would boot normally.

I'm using {current} in the cmd but use whichever is for your identifier.

bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

I've seen on Google that others have also had the Element not found error but no solution to it.

This error must be specific to later versions of Win 10 as I'd previously successfully used the cmd after booting into Safe Mode using msconfig but was unable to access msconfig in that mode.

Not sure if that was just down to my machine or that version of Win 10 as you have been able to access msconfig in the version you are using.

If you are able to go the Reset route, create a system image onto external media first and you will need to make a note of any 3rd party program product keys for when you come to reinstall them.

Still_Game has posted this thread suggesting a program which may also help - https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,6053.0.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:31:13 am by Boggin »

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:00:47 am »
I dl'd Still_Game's recommendation for Safe Boot, selected boot in "Normal" mode and, wonder of wonders, my system now appears to be functioning normally. Yay! I created a current restore point and will certainly save Safe Boot, as clearly it is a useful and effective tool. I currently am running 1803. Would you recommend that I update my system to 1809 and create a new restore point then or wait on 1809 as it appears as if it may be buggy? Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you very much for your support and assistance in all of this!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 02:39:55 pm »
That's good news that Still_Game's thread helped and confirms the program works.

Unless you get 1809 through Windows Update then I'd leave it on 1803.

I had a problem with one of my 1803 laptops (can't remember now what it was) and updated to 1809 which fixed it but decided to leave this one on 1803.

I reset the 1809 one today and it made no difference to being unable to boot into the advanced boot options from Safe Mode which is one reason to remain on 1803.

I did once upgrade this one to 1809 but restored it with a system image created before the update.

I found that the revert to previous version option didn't take it back to 1803.

The bcdedit cmd still didn't work either.

I create regular Macrium system images onto external HDDs so I'm covered should anything untoward happen and I always create a Macrium image prior to test running any new Windows Repair program versions.

Offline rtc917

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 03:08:31 pm »
I found that bcdedit doesn't work on my 1803 either. Fortunately the Safe Boot program did work. I think I'll leave my current configuration in place, at least for now. I'm going to look into Macrium. Thanks again!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 03:23:04 pm »
You're welcome :)

I use Macrium Relect Free.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 12:32:13 am »
I dl'd Still_Game's recommendation for Safe Boot, selected boot in "Normal" mode and, wonder of wonders, my system now appears to be functioning normally. Yay! I created a current restore point and will certainly save Safe Boot, as clearly it is a useful and effective tool. I currently am running 1803. Would you recommend that I update my system to 1809 and create a new restore point then or wait on 1809 as it appears as if it may be buggy? Is there anything else I should do?

Thank you very much for your support and assistance in all of this!

Glad that Safe Boot worked for you. I've been aware of the utility for a while but never had occasion to use it as my Windows 7 laptop pops in and out of Safe Mode nicely when needed.

I'm not looking forward to my eventual move to Windows 10 - apart from the fact that neither my Samsung laser printer nor Canon scanner will work with it and I've no other reason to ditch a perfectly functioning Lenovo apart from Windows 7 reaching EOL next year, I'm not convinced about its reliability from one release to the all too frequent next. Linux? Doesn't handle the software I rely on. Apple? Too expensive and restrictive for me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:33:47 am by Still_Game »
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro