Author Topic: 4.4.7 installation issue  (Read 5543 times)

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
4.4.7 installation issue
« on: April 22, 2019, 03:47:48 pm »
I downloaded the full installer for v4.4.7 both here and from Major Geeks, but can't get it to install on either of my Win10Hx64 machines although it installed without issue on a Win7Ultx64 machine.  A post-launch popup window declares that "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."  That message box refers to "C:\\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\_ir_sf_temp0\irsetup.exe", but I've checked in Windows Explorer and the file exists at that location.  I've not only run the installer from right-clicking Start|Run and drilling down to choose the installer, but I've also right-clicked on that file in Explorer and selected the "Run as Administrator" option, but both produce the same error message.

Frustrating, and I'm wondering if this behavior might be related to the farkling which v4.4.1 gave the OS in both of those machines several months ago (there's a earlier thread in the forum on that set of issues).  On one machine, the SFC and DISM repairs then were able to recover its function, but on the other I was forced to reinstall the OS from the original image and then reload and rebuild everything to current status over the following week (so a PITA, in other words).

I never had any problems with the AIO tool before v4.4.1, and while I've installed newer version updates after the recovery on all of them, I have not run the newer tool(s) on any machine as I was hesitant to go through that repair/rebuild process again this quickly.  This latest AOI foible doesn't provide a lot of assurance that it won't occur again, but resetting all of the permissions manually isn't something I've got time to do just now.  Hopefully there's a simple (and safe) fix.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 4.4.7 installation issue
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:17:44 am »
I've successfully updated and reinstalled 4.4.7 on both a 1803 and 1809 machine so it must be something specific to your machine.

Have you tried the installation in Safe Mode with Networking as it could be a 3rd party program that is in conflict ?

It may not be your antivirus program as that would probably have given you an alert, but in Safe Mode with Networking all 3rd party programs are isolated.

An alternative is to try the installation in a clean boot where all start up programs and non-Microsoft services are disabled.

If a clean boot is successful then you can reinstate each start up item and non-MS service to see which is the cause.

I think I've mentioned this to you before but as an alternative to a clean install of Win 10, you can perform a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs and is done from within Windows.

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 03:04:48 pm »
Thanks -- I've never before needed to install an app in safe mode just for it to even launch (and I've been working with computers in various forms since the late 1960s), but that approach finally worked for both those Win10H machines, and I've since run the tool on each with no problems or hiccups.  I'll wait to see how the OS on each machine reacts to launch of the next version update, but for now all seems resolved.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 03:08:30 pm »
That's good news but if you have time, you could uninstall the program to see if it still baulks on the install and then try the reinstall in a clean boot and then you may find what is conflicting.

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 07:04:48 am »
I never followed up on your suggestions because of the stormy weather we've had in Central Texas the past couple of weeks, but when I checked this morning and found that v4.4.8 had been released I jumped that shark and decided to test if the problem would recur with the new release.  The good news is that whatever may have been the issue with v4.4.7, it did not occur with v4.4.8 -- it installed with no objections.

Now, if I can just figure out why I'm still getting a similar permissions block in my attempts to install Acronis True Image on that machine, I'd really be a happy camper.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 07:47:30 am »
There may be something recorded in Event Viewer but try that install in either Safe Mode with Networking or in a clean boot.

If it installs in a clean boot you will be able to find what is blocking it.

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:46:02 am »
I forgot to say before that when I successfully installed v4.4.8 earlier this morning, it was done in normal mode rather than the safe mode w/networking approach which the previous release had required.  I had first attempted to install Acronis True Image in normal mode several weeks ago after the TwAIO issue was resolved, and when I got the permissions block I thought I'd try it with the other boot option as well -- unfortunately, its installer process requires normal mode to establish and start its requisite services so the installation process aborts.  I'll dig into whatever its issues are over the next week or so when I get the time, but I put the blame squarely on the UAC function (which I detest but hate to screw with blindly because of the other issues that can produce).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:00:03 am »
Check Event Viewer and Reliability history to see if anything has been recorded.

EDIT - You could try asking for help on the Acronis forum - https://forum.acronis.com/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 09:01:56 am by Boggin »

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 11:41:29 am »
Thanks -- That's what I'm going to do more seriously, but after I logged in there and scanned over it last night to search threads for the term "permissions", none of the initial results were that relevant and I decided to back-burner the matter until I could explore it further and submit a coherent query to that forum.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 03:16:09 pm »
Do you get the same problem with Acronis on your other Win 10 machine ?

Offline jhvance

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:54:40 pm »
This thread has been superceded, and is resolved in a later posting here: https://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,6201.0.html