Author Topic: Windows Repair gives "invalid picture" on Windows 7 Pro x64  (Read 4728 times)

Offline tsherr

• View Profile
When I run Windows Repair in either normal or safe mode, I get the "invalid picture" error.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64.  The February cumulative update won't install so that's why I'm running Windows Repair (I've already tried the other Windows Update fixes from MS and other places).

I'm wondering if doing a reinstall of Dot Net or Visual C++ redistributables might help (not sure if either are used in Windows Repair)

As a separate, but possibly related issue: If I try to do an inplace upgrade, it tells me I don't have enough space, when I have 136GB free.  I've already resized the EFI partition for that one with no change.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Repair gives "invalid picture" on Windows 7 Pro x64
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 08:17:52 am »
The invalid picture error is an indication of lack of space.

Firstly, go Start type disk cleanup and right click on it when it comes up and select Run as administrator

This will clean out obsolete Windows Updates and free up a few GB.

There is an extended version of Disk Cleanup which will give more options to clean and is described in this article - https://www.ghacks.net/2012/01/09/how-to-run-the-advanced-disk-cleanup-version-in-windows/

I'd then try a defrag (if using a HDD) and then a chkdsk /r to see what that reports.

To view the chkdsk log, open Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk or wininit into the Find box.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable window below.

Offline tsherr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 09:14:12 am »
Update on my problem.   As I mentioned in my first post, I have 136GB free, so it's not lack of space.  Chkdsk is clean.
I removed all the Visual C++ (2005 to 2017) redistributables and the error went away in Safe Mode.  The repairs are running, so I report back when done.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
That's interesting to know.

If the error went away then those may have also been the cause of the update failure.

I always run Disk Cleanup as an admin on my Win 7 after updates and the first time I ran it after the Dec. 2013 update which allowed it, it cleaned out about 3GB of obsolete updates, so it's something to keep in mind.

Turning off Hibernate also freed up about 6GB on my Win 7.