Author Topic: Network Connection Consistently Dropping  (Read 3698 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Network Connection Consistently Dropping
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:08:42 pm »
Hi. I am experiencing what is apparently a very common problem with Windows 7. After 2-3 hours, my internet and local network connection completely drops on 2 of my 3 desktops. After it drops, I lose the ability to connect to anything, even my router. I have to reboot to restore internet. My wifi works fine, so I know it's not a hardware issue. I have tried everything I can think of to troubleshoot this (disable IPv6, disable side scaling, temporarily disable my security suite, change the DNS settings, system restore, selectively disabling software, swapping out my router). Nothing works. The only thing I haven't tried is an in-place repair, however, since this seems to be a Windows 7 issue, I'm not too sure if that will work. Almost all of my equipment uses a wired connection. I only use my wifi for my phone and the occasional visitor. I am typing this on my phone, since that is currently one of the only devices I own that has a stable internet connection. I am the go-to tech guy for all of my family and friends, so this issue is really hindering my ability to provide technical assistance. Please help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Network Connection Consistently Dropping
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 01:08:49 am »
For it to affect two of the three computers but not the third would suggest it's down to something installed on those computers but not the third.

When the connection goes down, have you tried the troubleshooter to see what that reports - Event Viewer may also have something.

Generally with Internet problems, I would start with the drivers by going to Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices/Network adapters and right click on whichever adapter you are using and select Uninstall, but do not check the box to include software.

Either a reboot or clicking on Action/Scan for hardware changes will reinstate the driver.

When it does go down, it may be worth going into Device Manager to that extent anyway to see if there are any yellow alerts.

To determine if it is something installed on those computers, trial run both of them in Safe Mode with Networking.

If it doesn't occur in that mode then you will have to troubleshoot with a clean boot.

While overheating of a router can cause connectivity problems, I'm not sure if overheating of a computer would have the same effect, although I've read of it as a suggestion.

Can you check the temps on both of those machines, although a telltale for that is prolonged increased fan speed.

I use the free version of HDMonitor to check that sort of thing on my laptops.

The free download button is down on the left - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Re: Network Connection Consistently Dropping
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:59:37 am »
Thanks. I will try your suggestions when I get home and report back.