Author Topic: Safe mode  (Read 8207 times)

Offline BarbaraWhynot

• View Profile
Re: Safe mode
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2019, 04:04:27 am »
Probably a stupid question, but is windows repair part of my computer or part of the program I downloaded from tweaking?  Where do I find it?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2019, 04:15:45 am »
It's the Windows Repair program you downloaded from www.teaking.com

I've been looking around to see if you can still get a Win 10 1803 ISO to perform a repair install and came across this website - https://pureinfotech.com/download-windows-10-1803-iso-file-after-1809-releases/

I haven't tried this myself yet but disregard the bit about the driver download in step 1 - it's just an advert.

Offline BarbaraWhynot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2019, 04:27:09 am »
Currently running and fixing all kinds of things. I will let you know when it is done. What would be the next step?  B

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2019, 04:42:36 am »
That depends upon the outcome of the Permissions repairs and what the dism and sfc /scannow cmds report to see if they sort those Access Denied problems on those cmds or the update problem.

If that 1803 ISO is downloadable, you can use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create install media of your choice and perform a repair install, which would be my preferred method of resolving most Win 10 problems.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485

The repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs is done from within Windows by opening Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

If you were using 1903 then a repair install wouldn't be an option as that is a bug in 1903 where it snags the install media as hardware incompatible with that version of Win 10 which MS are aware of.

The only option then would be to perform a Reset which keeps your personal stuff but removes all of your installed programs.

I've had to do this recently on one of my Win 10 machines after updating to 1903 because I was getting a MMC error when trying to access Event Viewer.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2019, 04:56:47 am »
I've just tried that download for 1803 and just get the MCT page for 1903.

I have a Win 10 1809 Home x64 version install DVD I can send you which you can use to update to 1809 by the same method as you would the repair install.

If none of the previous suggestions work to fix updates etc. and you want to give that a try, just PM me your address and I'll send it off to you.

Offline BarbaraWhynot

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 11:05:13 am »
Hi Tom,
So, it took almost 2 hrs to run those 3 things, and then the computer asked to do a restart. After that, it appears to be back to normal.  There is no longer a message saying it needs to do a windows update and it seems to be working better.  I'm going to monitor things from this point and will send another msg if it acts up again.  I really appreciate all your guidance! 

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 01:13:29 pm »
Well that's great news and it looks like those cmds fixed things.

Can you do a Check for updates as you are well behind.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:25:08 pm by Boggin »