Author Topic: Error message running Tweaking.com Pro  (Read 5861 times)

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
Error message running Tweaking.com Pro
« on: August 04, 2019, 05:19:15 pm »
I have version 4.5.3. I ran a repair and the following error message showed up in the Reliability History report:  (The registry backup seems to be a critical step)

Source
Tweaking.com - Registry Backup

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎8/‎3/‎2019 6:11 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\registry_backup_tool\TweakingRegistryBackup.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   TweakingRegistryBackup.exe
Application Version:   3.5.0.3
Application Timestamp:   582f3b59
Fault Module Name:   MSVBVM60.DLL
Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.15
Fault Module Timestamp:   49b01fc3
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   000c9ba6
OS Version:   10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID:   1033
Additional Information 1:   d223
Additional Information 2:   d223a409b82f53277f102bd756a5720a
Additional Information 3:   00e4
Additional Information 4:   00e4a558407489b5d721c1893e383886

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   f1a2a50ac15611ec39ca111d8cb2ce12 (108571686681)

Please explain.

Thanks,
William Rice

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Error message running Tweaking.com Pro
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 01:06:27 am »
Yes, I've checked out 4.5.3 Pro on mine and am also getting that error report -

Description
Faulting Application Path:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\registry_backup_tool\TweakingRegistryBackup.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   TweakingRegistryBackup.exe
Application Version:   3.5.0.3
Application Timestamp:   582f3b59
Fault Module Name:   MSVBVM60.DLL
Fault Module Version:   6.0.98.15
Fault Module Timestamp:   49b01fc3
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   000c9ba6
OS Version:   10.0.18362.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:   2057
Additional Information 1:   0139
Additional Information 2:   0139c2bd0076026686cc2439bf0219f8
Additional Information 3:   0ec8
Additional Information 4:   0ec85a7f8fbb2eaa399adbb7a26731c9

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   f1a2a50ac15611ec39ca111d8cb2ce12 (108571686681)

I've passed this onto my Support to inform Shane of the problem.

I'm a bit distrustful of the registry backup and restore points should test running new versions of WR cause problems, that I create a system image onto an external HDD first.

Was there a reason why you ran the repair program ?

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:19 am »
No wish to hijack this thread but I've never had any joy with the System Restore component of WR and always run it manually via Windows own commands. Registry Backup run manually from within WR seems to work correctly - I always run it manually prior to carrying out any repairs rather than rely on it running automatically.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64x
Iain

ThinkPad T450s W10 Pro x64
Windows Defender, Malwarebytes Premium
Macrium Reflect 7 Home, Tweaking WRAIO Pro

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 04:06:16 am »
It did create a registry backup auto on opening the repairs.

What I didn't understand was that there were two reports in Reliability history with identical time stamps when the only back up done was the auto one.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 04:26:12 am »
Could it be that the option to only carry out one auto backup per day was selected in settings and WR tried to perform another before the repair and then cancelled it because of that setting?
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 04:30:42 am »
I don't have it perform any daily backups.

The last one prior to today's was on 14th July - probably when I updated to 4.5.2

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 04:39:22 am »
Well, that's me out of ideas!   :undecided:
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:32:18 am »
I've just checked reliability history again after opening repairs to activate the auto registry back up and no errors this time, so not sure what was going on there.

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:38:35 pm »
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I could not find anyway to reply! I just realized that I wasn't logged in.  Anyway, two issues. First multiple listings of the same error at the same time are quite common. Many programs will not proceed until they succeed in running the process and they retry up to the programmed limit on retries. In this case it probably succeeded on the third try and proceeded to completion. However, I just wanted the program engineers to know about this issue since it just happened the first time since upgrading to the 4.5.3 update and could be a bug.

As to why I was running the WR: I was not intending to run it and had not prepared to run it by backing up etc.  I was exploring it and decided to try to get into Safe mode as I have not been able to successfully do that before using any methods I found in PC advice columns nor MS FAQ type support. It worked. I was in Safe Mode and WR was open. While I was exploring I found the WR graphic to start running some repairs (As you can tell I am not a frequent user) and the last item was to check Windows Updates. Since this was not likely to do any damage I, for other reasons, decided to run just that. BIG PROBLEM: WR started to run a complete repair sequence! I was afraid to cancel it once it was running, especially after the warning not to.

So I was a little freaked out. No immediate backup, no system restore backup and now, no registry backup. Fortunately, other than a few default settings I had to restore no harm done. (Yes I did have my twice a day system backups if I needed to restore).

I don't think there is anything to do other than reporting these issues to engineering.

Thanks,
William

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 02:53:41 pm »
In Win 7 you would normally tap F8 as you switch on to give you a number of boot options.

You would then use your cursor keys to move down to the option you want and then press enter.

Some machines have a different key combo to get to those boot options.

A Google for how you access those options for your machine should produce the relevant info.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 11:20:42 pm »
Bootsafe https://www.d7xtech.com/free-software/bootsafe/ is worth looking at as a reliable way of entering and escaping from Safe Mode when other methods don't work as expected.
Iain

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 11:57:54 pm »
Hi guys,
Tom, I am using Win10 which has steadily locked down access to safe booting over the many revisions, making it hard for the non-technical user to find, or use even if found.
Iain, thanks for the reference to the bootsafe software. I will keep a copy of it handy.

I thank you both for your time and interest.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 01:10:47 am »
Apologies, William - I took Still_Game's OS as yours.

With Win 10 the easiest way to get into the advanced boot options to get into Safe Mode w/o Networking is to press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart then click on Troubleshoot/Advanced options where you will see the option for Startup Settings.

After the manual restart where you are presented with the list of boot options, you press the F key for whatever number corresponds to the boot option you want.

I'm not sure if you are aware but from Win 8/8.1 Windows disables wireless in that mode so you would normally Ethernet connect.

However, if it isn't practical to Ethernet connect, you can manually connect to your SSID.

When you have booted into Safe Mode with Networking and are at the desktop, press CTRL ALT DEL then click on the wireless icon then on your SSID and then on Connect.

When it has connected, left click away from that pane to clear it then click on Cancel where you will then see a full wireless icon.

That Bootsafe utility doesn't really appeal to me.

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 10:02:17 am »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the useful information. Fortunately I do run ethernet to my router. I recall that holding the SHIFT key did not work for me in the past. I would try it again except for the warning from the bootsafe website that has me concerned:  "Windows 10 introduces Microsoft (online) accounts as the default user creation type, which allow certain settings and files to be backed up online and/or transferred to other PCs that also sign-in with the same user accounts.  These accounts require a password which may NOT allow login from Safe Mode!

BootSafe v5.0 and above have introduced a feature to optionally create a temporary administrative user (named “BootSafe_TempAdmin“) when BootSafe detects that it is run from a Microsoft account.  This temporary user may be necessary for login to Safe Mode, and has no password assigned to it.  Upon return to Normal Mode and login to any other administrative user account, this temporary user will be automatically deleted.

If this user were NOT created, and your Microsoft account password did NOT work in Safe Mode, then you would be STUCK in Safe Mode; therefore if BootSafe prompts you to create this temporary user, it is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED to choose YES."

I know this is not the province of this forum, but if you would care to comment on that I would appreciate it as I do use a MS account to log on.

Thanks again,
Bill

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 10:14:31 am »
I just saw the messages with RochesterChuck about this issue. The warning from bootsafe seems to apply to him. However, I was able to safe boot into WR and get re-booted in normal boot so I guess I might be okay to try going into safe mode via the SHIFT key approach. However, I will wait to hear from you to be sure.

Bill

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 02:37:33 pm »
RochesterChuck's problem stemmed from running a pre-released version of Win 10 where he didn't have the normal desktop you would normally get in Safe Mode.

I don't use passwords or have a MS account so don't know if a password is required for that mode, but if you got stuck in Safe Mode, you can select Command Prompt(Admin) and enter bcdedit

This will produce a list of items where you would look for the Windows Boot Loader identifier.

This can either be {current} or {default} to use in this cmd which would release you from Safe Mode on a restart.

I had to use that cmd once when I'd used msconfig to boot into Safe Mode when I was unable to access msconfig in that mode to change the setting.

I'm using {current} as an example - bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

I use the SHIFT and Restart method all of the time when I want to get to the advanced boot options but there is another method which is accessed through the Settings cog/Update & Security/Recovery where you would use the second option.

I still don't fancy Bootsafe :)

Offline William Rice

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 07:58:52 pm »
This is getting a little to complicated for me. I will print out and file all this information to keep in case something happens.So far I have lived without Safe Boot mode in WIN10 and will just keep my fingers crossed that I don't need it.

Contrary to many peoples opinions I have found WIN10 to be extremely stable compared to the many versions I have used since Windows 3.

I think we can call this case solved. 

Thanks again for you sage advice.

Offline Still_Game

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:14:07 pm »
Re BootSafe: I can't speak for Windows 10 as I'm still using W 7, but I know it's helped at least one forum member to get out of Safe Mode. However, Boggin is much more knowledgeable in this area than me and I understand his wariness.
Iain

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17:09 am »
Yes, I remember that but I believe it was due to exceptional circumstances where there was a bug in the Windows Repair program that was locking some in Safe Mode, although I never experienced that.

The reason why I'm not keen on Bootsafe is because I shy away from programs that can do the same that is possible with Windows tools, although in that instance the bcdedit cmd didn't work.

That may have been because Safe Mode had been achieved through the repair program and not through Windows.