Author Topic: BSOD. Windows 10 wouldn't boot. Now my internet is painfully SLOW...  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Rob Y.

• View Profile
I've had the same laptop for the last four years and never once had any major issues until now. It has Windows 10 and 3 weeks ago the internet slowed down. When I turned the laptop on the next day, I got the BSOD. The ASUS (laptop) logo would appear, then suddenly, it would quit. After 3 tries the automatic repair started, but it would still stop and not boot to Windows. From the advanced options, I tried the startup repair. It did it's thing for a while and finally booted to Windows. I ran SFC and it said it repaired corrupt system files. CHKDSK ran next. It took a long time, but finally, it finished.
Next, I ran Tweaking.com repair (I have version 3) and chose all repairs. Everything seems fine... except the internet is even slower. It takes forever to get to websites, and the download speed at it's slowest was 1.0 KB/sec. The download speed before wasn't blazing fast, but it was decent. I don't get what the problem is:
1. Ran Tweaking repair again.
2. Reset the network.
3. Reinstalled Fire Fox. Microsoft Edge is the same deal, it's slow, too.
4. Switched to Google's DNS.
5. Turned off most of the background apps. No programs that I can see are running behind the scenes.
6. Found out how to get back the 20% internet bandwidth Windows holds back, so, I have all 100% bandwidth.
7. Internet is STILL SLOW.
* Forgot to mention when Windows wouldn't boot, I tried to reset the laptop. It did the BSOD again and rolled back the changes, then tried the startup repair.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BSOD. Windows 10 wouldn't boot. Now my internet is painfully SLOW...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:53:04 am »
You should only use the latest version of the repair program on Win 10 because of the Permissions changes MS has made to it through the various versions.

It could be the driver.

Open Device Manager, click on View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters.

Right click on the wireless one and select Update driver/Browse my computer/Let me pick...

That may take you straight to the drivers or you may need to scroll down a list to select Network.

If you have more than one driver listed, click on each one then on Next and do a speed test with each.

I use Realtek on my laptops and MS installed its own driver dated 31/3/2016 when I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 and that reduces my speed down from about 30 to about 2Mbps so I reinstall a Win 7 one dated 19/4/2013 which works fine.

When you first right click on the wireless adapter, select Properties and click on the Driver tab to check the date of the driver that is installed and then you can compare with what others you may have.

Offline Rob Y.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 07:02:14 am »
Ok, what I meant was I used Tweaking repair v.4.5.3 (Pro License v3)
I can't download v.4.5.4 because the download aborts with Error code 1 [Unknown error]
The wireless adapter is Realtek
Driver date is 12/4/18 and is the only driver listed. Version 2024.0.4.105
On the advanced tab there are a bunch of properties listed and the value is disabled. First property is 802.11d
I'm learning about all of this out of sheer desperation because I can't afford anything else. I had the money at the time and that's how I got this laptop; I threw the other one out and just started new. This time around- not so lucky. I read somewhere that the average lifespan of a computer/laptop is about 4 years, and that's how old this one is.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 08:44:26 am »
I can't find anything on that Error Code 1 - it must have been okay at one time for you to have been able to install the repair program.

Did you update through the program or from www.tweaking.com ?

Try the update in Safe Mode with Networking should it be your antivirus blocking it.

That's okay - my 8011.d is also showing as Disabled.

Go Start - type ncpa.cpl and press enter when it comes up then right click on the wireless one and select Properties.

You should see something like the pic I have attached below.

While (TCP/IPv6) can cause connectivity problems, I don't know of it causing speed problems but uncheck its box - OK and then check your speed.

I assume you are getting your full speed when you Ethernet connect ?

Did you try reinstalling your wireless driver from the store by clicking on it and then on Next ?

I think it's the luck of the draw with machines - the one I'm using now was bought in 2011 as a Win 7 laptop.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:48:21 am by Boggin »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:58:22 am »
This is the website for ASUS US Support - see if they have any updates for your wireless driver. https://icr-am.asus.com/webchat/icr.html?rootTreeId=AM.US.EN-US&treeId=AM.US.EN-US.Notebook&tenantId=EN-US&_ga=2.63761519.1562214008.1566575650-599784111.1566575650

See if you can download Blue Screen View which may be able to ID what was the cause of the BSOD, https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:00:20 am by Boggin »

Offline Rob Y.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 10:17:57 am »
I updated through the program, but this was before any problems started.
Laptop will not download anything now.
I tried customer support and they suggested that I uninstall the driver. It shows uninstall device, not uninstall driver. Wouldn't that terminate the connection I have now? I didn't do anything because I have doubts. It's a minor miracle that I'm able to post this with my laptop.
By the way, I'm getting the internet through my cell phone with a mobile hot spot. I can't afford cable. Also, I don't have an ethernet cable. :thinking:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 02:27:33 pm »
If you uninstall the driver it will only reinstall the driver you already have.

Are you able to install anything in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Do you know anyone you can borrow an Ethernet cable from as you need to know if you are getting your full speed down the line.