Author Topic: Feature Request: General File Systems and Registry Takeowner and Grant Access  (Read 157 times)

Offline deees

• View Profile
I recently was troubleshooting a failed Windows 10 1803 to 1903 upgrade. After going through the DISM and CBS logs, I could see that it was a failed update of an orphaned software package.

I initially resolved the failure on a cloned image manually by creating scripts to take ownership of the keys and files and grant myself access to delete them.

Once I repaired the cloned image, I focused on the original one. Not wanting to repeat the tedious process a second time, I searched for a solution that could automate it.

I purchased the Tweaking WR utility and used it to identify the orphaned packages and delete the registry entries  :cheesy: What I couldn't find was way to take ownership of the package files in the WINSXS folder and delete them. I dusted off my script and removed them the old fashioned way.

What I'd like to see is an option in the utility to search for arbitrary files or registry keys using REGEX and then take ownership and grant access to the user's or administrator's account.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You can add Take Ownership to the right click context menu with this hack - it isn't the one I've added to mine but looks to do the same job.

https://www.intowindows.com/add-take-ownership-to-right-click-menu-in-windows-10/
Tom.

Offline deees

• View Profile
Thanks. I do know about that method. I just thought that it could be a useful addition for users needing to perform deletions of privileged registry keys and files.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Usually when there is a 3rd party alternative available then there's no need for Shane to modify his programs.

He's busy enough keeping WR up to date whenever MS release their updates as well as running his computer repair business.
Tom.