Author Topic: Register more system files  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
Register more system files
« on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:13 AM »
- This year MS issued a new "Servicing Stack Update" (SSU) for Windows 7 (KB 4516655). As a result Windows Repair needs to increase the amount of files it registers (think: REGSVR32 .............. ). The 2 files that need to be added to that list ("Register System Files") are:

Apss.dll
     Apircl.dll

Both files are in the "system32" and "syswow64" folder(s).

- I have another question. Windows 7 has a folder called "....\system32\advancedinstallers". Do the *.dll files in that folder also need to registered ?

Source for the information/question provided above:

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4516655/compatibility-update-for-installing-windows-7-sp1-and-server-2008-r2

The webpage above contains a list with all the file that are updated/installed in this "SSU update" (KB 4516655).

- There are other files is this repair ("Register System files") that are registered but the registration fails because WR targets the wrong folder. But I will reporrt that later, in a second post.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 10:15:49 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Register more system files
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:43 AM »
Thanks, Willy - I'll pass this onto Shane.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »
- Correction: the weblink for the english (US !!!) version of the webpage (with info on KB 4516655) is. The link contains a list which (new) files are included:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516655/compatibility-update-for-installing-windows-7-sp1-and-server-2008-r2

- The weblink below provides the details of what the latest SSU update is that is available (think: KB numbers) for the different Windows versions (Win 7, Win 8 & Win 10) and the file names that are involved:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV990001

(Recommendation: check this link every say 6 months for changes in the extra files needed to be added to WR).

E.g. the latest SSU for Windows 8 is called KB 4512938:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4512938/compatibility-update-for-installing-windows-8-1-rt-and-server-2012-r2

- Articles on the SSU say that these updates are needed for Windows Update. Then the question becomes: Should these extra files be included (think: registered) in the "Windows Update" repair as well ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
I included a link to your thread in my email to Shane so he should see your update.

He may not get back to me on this and just modify WR for a new release if required.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
Shane is going to check for any side effects and if okay, will add to the program.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 03:49:01 PM »
- Please wait a little bit with issueing a new WR version. I am still busy working on another Update (KB 4474419 for Win 7) that Windows Update needs. It introduces the SHA-2 algorithm to Windows Update and this update seems to come with a bunch of new files (to be registered ??) as well.

- More info:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4472027/2019-sha-2-code-signing-support-requirement-for-windows-and-wsus

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4474419/sha-2-code-signing-support-update

The second link provides info on what (new ??) files are being used/installed/re-installed to make SHA-2 possible. Only a small number of those files don't respond with an error when I try to register those files with the REGSVR32 command in MSDOS.

- Does Win 8 also need to register those updated files ? Or does one of the DISM commands take care of that ?
- I am also still busy with some other bugs in WR where the program targets the wrong folder(s).(See my 1st post in this thread).
- To be continued !!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 12:34:19 AM »
I'll pass this update on to Shane.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:46:48 AM »
- One problem I came across is that in the repair "Register System Files", WR currently only targets the folders "System32" and/or "Syswow64" (depending whether one has a 32 or a 64 bit system). Then the registering of some files simply will fail. Because some of those files are located in a different folder.

- One example is "VGX.dll". It is located in the "%commonprogramfiles%\VGX" subfolders (plural) and NOT in the "system32" and/or "Syswow64" folder(s). I came across - at least - 2 other examples of this kind.

- A solution for this problem could be to split the existing list with files into 2 lists with 2 sets of files. One list with files that only targets the "system32" and/or "syswow64" folders and its subfolders. A second list could contain the files (+full paths) that are located in outside the "system32" and/or "syswow64" folders. (think: e.g. VGX.dll, see above). That would enable this one repair ("Register system files") to (dramatically) increase the amount of files to be registered.

- A second way to solve this problem is to restucture the list that's being used in "Register System Files". Change that structure to what's being used in e.g. "Repair MDAC" and/or "Repair Internet Explorer". Shane knows what I am talking about. We have been working on this in the past.

- Making good progress with the "SHA-2 thing" but still not finished/satisfied. Keep in mind: I DO NOT have "oceans of spare time".

- More thoughts & info will be posted soon. To be continued.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 01:00:29 AM »
- Somehow I pulled up this link below:

https://appuals.com/what-is-datastore-edb-and-why-does-it-slows-down-my-pc/

In it there is a description on how to reduce the size of the "datastore.edb" file in the "C:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore" folder, with the "esentutl.exe" program/utility. Could this be a useful addition to the WR program ?

- I have been fiddling with this "Datastore.edb" file. I know that in "Repair Window Update" this file (with many other files) is deleted. Windows will re-create this file when needed. But when one deletes this file then the update history is deleted and then one is no longer able to remove updates.

To avoid the Update information from being destroyed in this repair, WR could do the following:
    - Copy the content of "......\Datastore\" (sub-)folder to another temporary folder.
    - Instead of removing/killing the entire "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\..... " folder and sub-folders, just delete all the files in it.
    - Execute the usual commands.
    - At the end of this repair move the files that were copied to a temporary folder, back to the "..........\datastore\" (sub-folder).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 02:25:40 AM »
While I don't know about that .edb file, the program deletes the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder which removes the update history.

One of the cmds in resetting the update components is to rename that folder to SoftwareDistribution.old which then could be restored, but if the update history isn't removed, then would that reset the update components ?
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 04:15:07 AM »
- WR also removes A LOT OF other information in this "Windows Update" repair. So, I would assume that Windows 7, 8 or 10 is smart enough to detect that the information is not "up to date" and would act accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:49:23 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
- With a special tool ("KB_extractor") I was able to extract all the files that are included/updated/installed in the upudate called KB 4474419. I assume one can also use e.g. 7-zip or WinRar. But this tool has one extra feature I really like.
- The result of extracting those files was A LOT OF new subfolders with each a bunch of new files. The names of those folders give a decent (not perfect) description of what the function is of those files in Win 7.
- The following files are in that KB 4474419 package (SHA-2) for Windows 7 and are updated/installed  with this update. These files also can be registered with the REGSVR32 command. And that's why - IMO - these files need to be added to the repair "Register system Files". The following files are located in the "system32" and "Syswow64" folders:

audioeng.dll
audiokse.dll
blackbox.dll
certcli.dll
cryptnet.dll
cryptui.dll
drmmgrtn.dll
mfps.dll
msnetobj.dll
msscp.dll
mssign32.dll
wmdrmsdk.dll

- This KB 4474419 update also puts (or updates) the following files in the "system32\DISM" subfolder and these files also can be registered with the REGSVR32 command.

dism\cbsprovider.dll
dism\compatprovider.dll
dism\dmiprovider.dll
dism\intlprovider.dll
dism\smiprovider.dll
dism\unattendprovider.dll

- I tested all files with the REGSVR32 command and it seems that there were no negative/adverse effects on my Win 7 system. All programs seem to be working fine afterwards.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:00:08 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 12:10:24 AM »
- KB 4516655 updates the "Servicing Stack Update" for Windows 7. This updates (/installs for the 1st time ??) the following files that can be registered with the REGSVR32 command:

- Located in the system32/syswow64 folders:

apds.dll
apircl.dll
apss.dll

- Located in the "..\system32\wbem" and "...\syswow64\wbem" folders:

esscli.dll
fastprox.dll
mofd.dll
repdrvfs.dll
smiengine.dll
wbemcore.dll
wbemprox.dll
wmiutils.dll

(These files are registered in the "Repair WMI" repair as well).

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
- I want to re-write a part of reply #11:

- The update called KB 4474419 updates (or installs ??) the following files in the "system32\dism\" subfolder and can registered with the REGSVR32 command:

cbsprovider.dll
compatprovider.dll
dmiprovider.dll
intlprovider.dll
smiprovider.dll
unattendprovider.dll

(I haven't got the faintest clue what the function is of these files)

- The full path for e.g. "cbsprovider.dll" (see above) is:

c:\windows\system32\dism\cbsprovider.dll   and
c:\windows\syswow64\dism\cbsprovider.dll

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 12:30:18 PM »
One of the cmds in resetting the update components is to rename that folder to SoftwareDistribution.old

- No, WR doesn't rename the "SoftwareDistribution" folder, it simply removes the entire folder.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
I don't know how WR repairs Windows Update but the cmds I was talking about are manual to reset the update components -

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 03:31:25 PM »
- Nope. "Repair Windows Update" DOES NOT rename that one folder, it simply DELETES that folder.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2019, 03:18:24 PM »
- Add the following lines (in bold) to "Repair Firewall":

%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\System32\firewallapi.dll" /s
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\System32\firewallControlPanel.dll" /s

IF EXIST C:\Windows\syswow64(
%SystemRoot%\sysWOW64\regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\firewallapi.dll" /s
%SystemRoot%\sysWOW64\regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\firewallControlPanel.dll" /s
)

The last 3 lines are only executed on a 64 bit system thanks to the "IF EXIST" line.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2019, 04:03:38 PM »
- Reply #15 raises an interesting question. Some of the Updates are packaged in (a) *.MSI or *.MSP file or files (plural). E.g. in the latest .NET Framework v4.8 version. Should commands that are used for "Repair MSI" be included in "Repair Windows Update" as well ?

- With .NET version v4.7 one had to install the file "d3dcompiler_47.dll" (KB 4019990, Windows 7) as well. But this file doesn't only show up in the folders for "Internet Explorer" but also in "system32" and "syswow64". To be added to "Register System Files" !!!
- I also came across the files "d3dcompiler_41.dll" and "d3dcompiler_43.dll" (in system32 & sysywow64) as well. To be added to "Register System Files" as well ???
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 07:47:49 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2019, 04:09:22 PM »
- "msihnd.dll" seems to be related to MSI.
https://www.win7dll.info/msihnd_dll.html

Therefore I think it must be registered in "Repair MSI" as well.