Author Topic: Advertised shortcuts  (Read 4373 times)

Offline LarianBretto

• View Profile
Advertised shortcuts
« on: September 27, 2019, 01:21:20 pm »
Hello everyone,,
Issue: Clicking on any Office shortcut in the Start Menu will result in the Windows Installer coming up and attempting to repair/reinstall an Office component before erroring out with a bad path.

The latest instance of this that I've come across was Windows 7 SP1 with Office 2007.

- Launching any Office document/sheet will result in the same dialog Window coming up (same for Outlook).
- Repair from appwiz unsuccessful, flashes an error and then disappears (no eventvwr error)
- This customer did not have the installation media to attempt a repair with
- System restore was turned off so no restore points

No malicious software was found on the machine (TDSS, Roguekiller, Hitman, MBAR, aswMBR)

I've seen a similar issue to this relating to ddexec so I modified the HKCR\Word.Document8 and 12, Excel.Sheet8 and 12\shell\open by removing the ddexec key and modifying the default value to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" (program depending) from /n. I can now open any document/sheet without issue. However, the Start Menu shortcuts will still result in the Windows Installer coming up.

Some files were missing from the Office entries in Windows\installer ({91120000-00CA-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}) so I copied those over from another machine with Office12 (2007) with no change.

I've used shellexview to disable any 3rd party Context Menu items and the same issue occurs.

Normally created Office-shortcuts work without a problem. I'd really like to determine what is causing the issue with the Advertised shortcuts and how to fix it rather than modifying the above registry entries as a workaround.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advertised shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:08:11 am »
Probably better to post this on the Microsoft Community forum with it being a specific MS program.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us