Author Topic: Tweaking program taking a very long time  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Meri

• View Profile
Tweaking program taking a very long time
« on: October 10, 2019, 12:17:16 pm »
One of my Dell laptops crashed on Sunday when I was updating a driver.  I got a weird message stating windows couldn't load.
I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 1525, only used for streaming.  I did a system refresh or restart Windows came back  with a couple minor problems...no USB drivers. Error message: "The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary file."
I tested all the USB ports with the same results. Uninstalled, reinstalled, same result. The MS mouse works fine on the other laptops. I did reinstall security software and Tweaking without issue.
I decided to use Tweaking in an attempt to correct the problem and anything else that maybe lurking.  Tweaking has been running for 20 hours or so.   Is this considered normal under the circumstances?  I've run the program in the past with great success, but it has never taken this long.  Any insight you can provide is really appreciated.  Thanks much.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking program taking a very long time
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 02:46:08 pm »
You can stop the program, but for this I don't think a sfc /scannow would resolve but a chkdsk /f may be desirable to check the condition of your HDD.

After the chkdsk has completed and machine rebooted, open Event Viewer and when it has read the data, expand Windows Logs - click on Application/Action/Find and type chkdsk into the Find box and press enter.

Cancel the Find box and read the report in the scrollable pane below.

You are looking to see if it reports any KBs in Bad sectors.

If it does then I would advise immediately creating a system image and the means to recover from it in preparation for a full HDD failure.

If that comes back clean, I think I would go for a repair install for this but as your USB ports don't work, you will need to create a Win 10 install disk.

A repair install won't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

I would use one of your other machines to do this.

Follow the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, on the affected machine open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the DVD and double click on its drive.

This will start the process which could take a few hours - it took ~7¼hrs when I tried it on one of my Win 10 1903 laptops.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:04:32 pm by Boggin »

Offline Meri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 04:06:15 pm »
Thanks much for your help.  Chkdsk came back clear as did the Event Viewer.  No bad segments.  I will head out to the windows site you recommended.  It's funny, except for the USB ports, everything else is working fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 12:49:45 am »
Which driver were you updating and by refresh did you mean a reset where you keep your personal stuff but have to reinstall your programs ?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 02:29:20 am by Boggin »

Offline Meri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:47:17 am »
I was  updating a wifi driver when the crash happened.  No BSOD just an error message stating Windows couldn't/wouldn't load. So yes, I did a system reset, lost my third party programs but kept my personal files.  Last night I fiddled with the latest windows push and did a reinstall. I left the laptop downloading and updating last night.  I figured the worst that could happen is the system would crash again.  The reinstall seems to have done the trick, this morning when I booted it up, all the programs, WIFI connection and the USB ports now work.   Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 07:58:18 am »
That's great news and thanks for the update.

BTW - You're welcome :)