Author Topic: no mouse  (Read 8458 times)

Offline kdent

• View Profile
no mouse
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
Try to boot up in safe mode Windows 10 Pro would not do it. Ran an SFC scannow it passed ran an DISM /online/cleanup it pass try going to "run msconfig it booted in to safe mode but no mouse..Any ideas but this really no big deal Thanks.....Scott

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: no mouse
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 02:37:46 pm »
As you are in Safe Mode can you run the repair program as it has a repair for Safe Mode which may also fix the mouse.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 04:35:12 pm »
no I can not,no mouse key board arrows don't work pgup and pgdn work ctrl and alt work but I think that is about all

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 12:53:59 am »
I don't know what you are posting with but if you don't have Win 10 install media but have access to another machine, you can create Win 10 install media after reading the instructions at - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Power shut down the affected machine then tap F2 or F12 as you switch on to see if that will get you into the BIOS to change the boot order or the one off boot order change.

If you are using an USB then plug that in first before switching on.

It's possible that the cursor keys and mouse will work in that mode and after you have booted up with the install media.

Navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer - Troubleshoot - Advanced options and select Command Prompt.

Enter bcdedit then look for the identifier under Windows Boot Loader.

This can either be {current} or {default}

Enter bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot but use your identifier if different to {current}

Enter exit to close the cmd window then navigate to reboot and hopefully you should be back in normal mode with a working keyboard and mouse.

If that is successful and if this was my machine, I would perform a repair install which is done from within Windows and won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

Open Windows Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 02:51:51 pm »
ran bcdedit /deletevalue  {currrent}    got run bcdedit /? for command line assistance  Element not found      went ahead and re installed  windows 10 pro but still no mouse in safe mode

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 03:44:38 pm »
The full cmd line is bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot

If you left safeboot off the cmd then you would have gotten that Run "bcdedit /?" for command line assistance error message.

What method did you use to get the machine into Safe Mode after the clean install ?

My next suggestion had that cmd failed, would have been to perform a Reset which kept just your personal stuff but if a clean install hasn't resolved, then perhaps formatting the HDD and doing another clean install may be what it will take to resolve.

You'll be able to do this by booting up with the install media to navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt again and use diskpart as this article will walk you through.

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/format-hard-drive-using-command-prompt.html

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »
i ran bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot got this an error occurred while attempting to delete the sepecified data element.  To answer your question I with thur the windows recovery re boot up I think it is number 5 I will try the other thing that you sent First why can't I boot up off that drive?????Last time I went to F12 saw my usb thump drive hit it and said could not find an operating system something about disconnect all other drives......Just wonder why it will not boot off the thump drive  ??? Thanks  Ok I want to make sure I reading this right you want me to format my C drive ??? were I have windows?? I have sent you some pictures one is my disk manager the other is my C drive  and my D drive let me know what you think,thanks
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:57:08 pm by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 12:50:24 am »
It's difficult to view your pic because it is 90° out to the left.

How did you reinstall Win 10 ?

A clean install would have removed all of your personal files and installed programs which is what I understood you to have done so at this stage, a format of C: prior to a clean install wouldn't be so drastic.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 03:40:15 am »
off of the thump drive,but I think it re install it not a clean one..Here is a picture of my C drive

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 05:23:30 am »
Did you boot up with the install USB or run it from within Windows ?

When you run it from within Windows it performs a repair install which doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

As you seem to have all of your personal stuff, then I think you must have performed the latter.

If that is the case then I would suggest that you perform a Reset which keeps your personal stuff but you would have to reinstall all of your programs or any Apps you had downloaded from the MS Store.

The programs it removes will be listed in the icon it puts onto your desktop after the reset.

BTW - Your screenshot is still displaying on its left side.

You could have used PRTSC and pasted that into Paint and attached it in that format.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 06:08:48 am »
ok maybe later thanks   Could you answer my question in the last post about format my C drive thanks a lot.....Scott
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 07:29:55 am by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 07:58:00 am »
If you formatted C: it would clean out everything as would a clean install of an OS.

As you still have C: with your folders and I assume programs intact but still have the same problem, then as I've said, I would suggest a Reset which keeps just your personal stuff.

For me, the Recovery partition needs to be reinstalled.

However, before you go that route, you will need to make a note of any program product keys for any paid for programs.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 08:34:17 am »
o k now why can't I boot up of of the Media creation tool 1903 ?? Is not that they only way to get an real reset?? I got and E-Mail a few moments ago follow the link and nothing was their????
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 12:57:45 pm by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 02:52:19 pm »
What initiated the email and who was it from ?

When you are using an USB as the install media for Win 10, if your machine uses an UEFI BIOS then you need to go into that BIOS and disable Secure Boot, but you may also have to turn off fast start up in the power settings.

I and someone else found we had to uncheck the box for fast start up on our laptops for them to boot up from an USB.

You can access the option for a Reset from the advanced boot options from within Windows.

One is via The Windows key - Settings cog - Update & Security - Recovery where you will see the Reset option.

Another is by pressing and holding SHIFT throughout a Restart then in the advanced options click on Troubleshoot.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 05:46:55 pm »
Try to go Thur windows got all the way to click for account and no mouse or keyboard??? Now what?? Also try holding down shift thru restart it did not work
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:10:42 pm by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2019, 12:52:18 am »
So are you stuck in Safe Mode ?

If you are and unable to turn off fast start up, then you will have to use bootable media to access the reset option.

Can you go back to that MS ISO site and create a bootable DVD - you should be able to boot up with that.

When you boot up with an install disk, having already pressed any key to boot from CD/DVD after being prompted, you will be presented with an inverse screen with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter and wait for the files to load.

Click on Repair your computer on the Install screen and navigate to the advanced options, click on Troubleshoot and then Reset.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2019, 06:38:16 am »
If you are able to create a bootable DVD and can boot up with it, given how things seem to be getting worse, when you boot up to the advanced options, before you go for the Reset, select Command Prompt and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Using your partition letter if different to the c: I have used, enter chkdsk c: /r to check the status of your HDD.

Its full report will appear on screen but check to see if it reports any KBs in bad sectors.

If that comes back clean then enter exit to close the cmd window and use the back arrows to take you back to the Reset option.

If it reports KBs in bad sectors, then hopefully the chkdsk /r will have repaired things sufficiently for you create a system image onto external media in preparation for full HDD failure.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 07:34:25 am »
OK I can not boot up from the DVD I made or the thump drive.But I can boot up and run the thump drive thats windows 10 pro is on ??? here two pics from my BIOAS and F12  take a look get back with me thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2019, 08:01:02 am »
It must be an old machine that doesn't have the option to boot from an USB - my old Win 7 one is the same.

However, with the DVD drive being at the top should boot up with the DVD.

What happens when you try to boot with the DVD ?

While you will be able to perform a repair install with the USB, I don't think that would do anything with the Recovery partition.

Can you shut the machine down then start it up and power shutdown when the Win 10 logo comes up.

Do that another twice and leave it to continue to boot after the third start.

This will put it into Diagnostic mode which will eventually get you to the advanced boot options to select the Command Prompt to perform the chkdsk as I've described and then the Reset if that comes back clean.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2019, 09:39:20 am »
Finally got in to safe mode by shutting down 3 times and same thing no mouse or key board!!!!   can't boot up from my DVD I made ??  What do you think I go ahead and format my "C" drive I have an old windows 10 pro put it in and let it up date ??? PS>> you may need to help me with the formate ?? I got around an ran that chkdsk it took a while it went all the way up to stage 5 but repair it
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 12:36:17 pm by kdent »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 02:00:30 pm »
If you didn't have use of the keyboard, how did you manage to perform that chkdsk /r and what did it report ?

You won't need to format the HDD as a clean install will overwrite everything but you will lose all personal stuff and installed programs.

The reason I suggested a format earlier was because I thought you had already done a clean install.

If you can boot up with that older Win 10 Pro disk then you can use that to access the Reset option.

However, if it won't boot from the newer Win 10 disk then I can't see it booting from the older one.

I think it must be fast start up in the power options that is preventing it.

In the BIOS boot options can you select the System Setup Menu to see what that gives.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:04:02 pm by Boggin »

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 04:38:43 pm »
Yes got that chkdsk ran it found some problems but fix them I look in my BIOS it is set up default with the DVD at the top also my F12 is also set at the top??

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2019, 12:21:43 am »
Did the chkdsk just report it repaired some file structure or did it report any bad sectors ?

In the BIOS can you select System Setup Menu and post what is in there.

Offline kdent

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2019, 03:27:45 am »
no it did report any bad sectors   On the BIOS I can not get in to it now?? try three times it would not go in yo BIOS ??? Here some pics I took yesterday

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2019, 03:44:17 am »
I can't open your pic but it looks to be about the same as the one you posted before.

I've never formatted a HDD so would have to follow whatever steps I found on Google but as you can't get into your system, I would advise taking it to a reputable repair shop who'll be able to take your HDD out, recover and save your personal stuff and reinstall Win 10.