Author Topic: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Not Completing  (Read 6263 times)

Offline grfried

• View Profile
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Not Completing
« on: December 26, 2017, 01:19:08 pm »
My computer failed to boot for the 2nd time in 10 days (Boot Drive wasn't found), so after recovering using Windows Restore, I ran your Windows Repair in Windows 10 Safe Mode. I ran the pre-scan and discovered that there were a number of "Reparse points that needed to be restored". So I ran your tool to restore those parse points. Chkdsk also found errors, so I ran Chkdsk at the next reboot to fix those errors. My configuration is a Samsung SSD for the C drive. I also have my Documents, Pictures, and Download libraries directed to OneDrive. Windows Repair has been running for 6 and 1/2 hours and is on Job 8 of 43 "Repair MDA/MS Jet". I am running versiuon 4.0.11 of your software on a PC. Any thoughts on what to do now? Any thoughts on what happened? I will leave Windows Repair running until I, hopefully, hear back from you.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Not Completing
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 01:57:35 pm »
Did you go into Event Viewer to see what the chkdsk did/found ?

6½hrs is quite a long time for WR to be running.

If you haven't checked Event Viewer for the chkdsk log then I'd stop WR and check that.

Have you also ran a sfc /scannow ?

Do you have MS Office installed ?

Offline grfried

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 11:56:51 pm »
I did run SFC /SCANNOW and I do have Microsoft Office installed. INTERESTING. I just ran CHKDSK w/o fix as admin within Windows 10. This unstuck Windows Repair which now runs to completion. After the restart, the computer can't reboot. The message boot device inaccessible shows up. Any ideas on how to repair that problem?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 01:50:32 am »
Office uses MS Jet and if Office has become corrupt then that could have caused problems with that repair.

You can repair most MS programs in Programs and Features by right clicking on them - selecting Change which will give you the Repair option.

However, you seem to have a greater problem - I assume though that you don't have any external devices plugged in other than a mouse or keyboard if using a desktop PC.

If you have an ext. HDD plugged in, that can cause confusion.

If you don't have a Win 10 install disk but have access to another machine then you can create install media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 but read the instructions as the procedure differs depending upon whether you want to use a DVD or USB.

You can access the BIOS on the affected machine to change the Boot order by pressing and holding F2 as you switch on then use the cursor keys to move along to Boot but if you have an UEFI BIOS then you will need to disable Secure Boot to boot up with install media.

Under the Boot tab use the cursor keys to select the media you are using then press F5 or F6 to move that to the top - your SSD/HDD would normally be in the top spot to boot from.

Insert the install media and press F10 to Save and Exit then press enter to confirm.
If using a DVD, press any key when prompted to boot from CD/DVD and wait for it to load.

Use the dropdown to change/confirm the Time and currency - Next - then click on Repair your computer on the Install screen.

Click on Troubleshoot where you'll see a number of options.

I'd try the Startup Repair first to see what that reports - it's advocated running that up to 3 times if at first it doesn't succeed.

You can try System Restore but I'm always wary of restore points because if they fail, you could just be left with a black screen and white cursor but they may also work.

The next option would be to use the Command Prompt.

There are some bootrec cmds you could try -

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This one should return 0 for identified windows installations unless you have a Windows.old folder still on the computer and ask if you want to add this (from memory) - enter n for No.

exit (to close the cmd window)

Remove the install media and see if the machine will boot.

Back at the command prompt, perform another chkdsk /r

Enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" then use the partition letter instead of the x I've used and enter -

chkdsk x: /r

That is a Pipe symbol before find which is the uppercase of \ and you need to use the bcdedit cmd as it doesn't always see the volume as being in C:

This won't require a reboot to execute and you'll see what it reports in the cmd window.

At that cmd prompt you can also perform an offboot sfc /scannow, again using your partition letter instead of my X

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Note the space before each /

Hopefully that will repair any system files it finds corrupt.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:00:27 am by Boggin »