Author Topic: Windows won't start  (Read 4986 times)

Offline applepckr

• View Profile
Windows won't start
« on: December 04, 2019, 03:42:28 pm »
I ran the tweaking tool and it found a number of problems that were fixed. After restarting Windows won't start no matter what I do. I'm running windows 10 on a HP laptop. Not sure of the version but it was prior to 1903.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows won't start
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 04:18:57 pm »
The repair program is backward compatible so it will work on all versions of Windows, although it has given problems on Vista x64 bit I believe.

Do you have Win 10 install media or access to another Windows machine to create Win 10 media ?

You can create Win 10 install media after reading the instructions at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If you are using a machine that uses an UEFI BIOS then you will need to go into that to disable Secure Boot if you are using an USB for the install media.

If you are able to create the Win 10 install media, tap F12 as you switch on the affected machine (insert the USB first if using an USB) - use the cursor keys to select the mode for the media you are using, insert the DVD if using one of those and press enter.

If using a DVD then press any key when prompted to boot from CD/DVD where you may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter.

Change/confirm the keyboard and currency then click on Repair your computer on the Install screen.

You only get two options to get started again, Start-up Repair or System Restore.

I'd try the System Restore to use your restore points which will be prior to you running the repair program.

I've emailed Shane about this as yours is the second recent report about a machine not starting after running WR.

Do you know what was wrong with the machine prior to running the repair program ?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 01:30:14 am »
Prior to running the repair program did you perform the pre-steps of a chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow ?

Offline applepckr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 03:52:39 am »
No, I didn't.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:54:04 am »
Have you been able to create Win 10 install media and do what I've asked ?

Offline applepckr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:01:41 am »
Not yet. That's my today project. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Pat

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 04:25:53 am »
Perhaps it may be best to run those cmds first after you have booted up with the install media.

Select Command Prompt after you have clicked on Troubleshoot and enter this cmd -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Then enter chkdsk x: /r using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled.

You'll be able to see the full report on screen and you are looking for any KBs in bad sectors or any other error message relating to HDD failure.

If that comes back clean then enter this cmd, again using your partition letter instead of my x

dism /image :x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If that cmd runs then you can ignore the message about the Scratch directory - I've never had that cmd fail to run on my machines.

Follow that cmd with this one, using your partition letter instead of my x

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=x:\ /offwindir=x\Windows

exit (to close the cmd prompt)

Let me know if either of those cmds report anything untoward.

Remove the install media and select shut the machine down and reboot.

If it still fails to boot then reboot with the install media and try your restore points.

Offline applepckr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 04:01:56 pm »
I can get to the troubleshoot but can't do anything because I can't remember the password needed. I tried every one I've used and none work.

I tried using a boot disk, didn't work.

Used the Windows update DVD, it wouldn't start.

It all depends on the password which I apparently don't have. It comes up with my name that is used  for my laptop but none of the passwords I tried work.

I would reset the laptop but I can't do that.

Guess I'm really stuck!

Pat

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 12:29:49 am »
See if Method 5 in this article will help with that - https://www.top-password.com/knowledge/reset-windows-10-password.html

A Reset isn't an option when you boot up with install media.

I've removed your duplicate post.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:56:06 am by Boggin »