Author Topic: WR4.4.0  (Read 4243 times)

Offline dss56

• View Profile
WR4.4.0
« on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:04 pm »
Where can this program be downloaded from?

I have a friend who had to re install win 10. Now installing programs he has no firewall in services and windows defender is grayed out.

Maybe 1 of the programs he reinstalled has a virus and is not allowing the firewall to show or work.

thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WR4.4.0
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 03:10:19 am »
Before the repair program can be used, all infections need to be removed.

There's a couple of ways your friend could go about this.

You could create a free Kaspersky Rescue Disk for your friend which you boot up with and use that to disinfect the machine.

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18

If it reports that it has found and removed any infections then your friend should be good to go.

If all services still aren't working then the repair program can be downloaded from https://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html but first create a system image onto external media and the means to restore from it before the repairs are run.

Another way could be to perform a fresh clean install and check if everything is working before any programs are installed, should the install media be corrupt.

If things are okay then install one program at a time, checking the services after each install.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:53:55 am »
Was one of the programs a 3rd party security program ?

I have Kaspersky Total Security installed but the Windows Defender Firewall still shows as running and auto in my Win 10 Services.

Offline dss56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 04:01:35 am »
He had to do a clean install of win 10.

And firewall was installed.

Upon loading programs 1 must of had a virus and now no firewall shows in Services and windows defender is greyed out.

He tried to do a windows restore to earlier date and still now firewall for windows 10.

He is trying a few virus programs to scan computer .

I will skype him later today to see what the update is.

thanks for the suggestions and replies.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 04:10:23 am »
Perhaps after a clean install and checking that everything is fine would be to install a 3rd party antivirus program that may be more effective than Windows Defender, as that should have stopped any infection on a download.

Do those services start okay in Safe Mode ?

Offline dss56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 04:14:58 am »
It did not happen on a download.

It happened re installing programs that he already had.

He did have AVG installed.

Yes he mentioned if he cant get the firewall back another fresh install will happen.

That is why I keep telling him to keep a cloned HD handy so you can just swap drives.

I clone my extra drive once a month in case of problems like this.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 07:40:07 am »
If he'd done a clean install of Win 10 then no programs would have been installed and all 3rd party programs would need to be reinstalled.

Were these programs on install disks he'd bought ?

I use Macrium Reflect Free for my Win 10 system images which I create once a month after each month's updates.

Depending upon why he needed a clean install, a repair install can resolve most Windows problems.

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs as it's done from within Windows.

AVG may have this right click option to check any files before he installs them - https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18993/beginner-geek-scan-files-for-viruses-before-using-them/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 07:59:15 am by Boggin »