Author Topic: How to do a clean W 10 install for OEM Windows installations:  (Read 819 times)

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
How to do a clean W 10 install for OEM Windows installations:
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:17:48 AM »
How to do a clean W 10 install for OEM Windows installs :

The Win7 OEM key built in to the firmware of your (or indeed anyone’s) device will never match the key on the CoA sticker.

This is a peculiarity of older Windows activation methods such as that used in 7.
Key in the firmware is a generic key for the brand of your device, Dell, HP, Acer, etc. and version that has been supplied for said device, whether Win7 Home, Pro, Ultimate.
Key on the CoA is unique to your device, but it is not used from the factory. It is only supplied as a legal requirement.
In Windows 7, OEM Windows devices (i.e. big name brands like Dell, not home built PCs made by buying individual components yourself, as many of us also do) use the generic key from the firmware (BIOS) of the device, which is validated against an OEM.xrm-ms certificate that is part of the Windows system files installed from a Windows 7 OEM install dvd.

Windows 7 OEM dvds for the various OEM brands contain the certificates needed for that brand. A Dell disc, for example, will install on, again for example, a HP computer, but it will not give you an activated system, because the Dell cert and the HP firmware key won’t match.

If you currently have a Windows 7 install that is activated and working (I mean working other than refusing to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows Update) then I would recommend that you also Google about the following. I have tried to explain as best I can, but hopefully it points you on the right track to research what I speak of before doing it, just to reassure yourself and learn what’s involved.
(This I should point out is completely legit method, not piracy in any way. You will be using Microsoft tools to do this, and you are entitled to this licence if you have a legit Windows 7.)

Get Microsoft Windows 10 media creation tool. A small app to download, this will allow you to get an install ISO of Win10 that you can burn to a DVD and use. Or you can if you know how use a USB key. (Learn about an app called Rufus if you want to use a USB. You’ll need it to make an install USB)
If you currently have Win7 home basic or home premium, then get Win 10 home ISO. If you have Win7 Professional or Ultimate then get Win10 Pro.

On a Windows 10 install disc there is a file that may be used to generate an activation file from your valid Win7 install which can then be used to permanently activate a corresponding, cleanly installed Win10 install on the same machine, without any need to go through the upgrading from Windows 7 rigmarole.

The file is named “gatherosstate.exe” and it is contained in the sources folder of any Windows 10 install disc.
Windows 10 activation is different to Windows 7, the branding of your machine won’t matter here, this is a generic method.
If you copy this file to a folder on your pc, (anywhere on the hard drive, but make sure it is the only file in the folder). Run the file and it will create a XML file “GenuineTicket.xml”, which you should save to some place safe like on a memory stick, as you’ll need to use it later to activate 10. (Clean install will wipe the hard drive/SSD of your computer.)

The rest of the instructions I will just copy/paste from another site

Quote:
This can also circumvents the "Something happened, Windows 10 installation has failed" error while upgrading.

Preconditions:
You have Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x activated successfully (retail or OEM licensing only). This doesn't apply to volume licenses such as KMS or MAK.
Download the Windows 10 ISO that's suitable for the upgrade path i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate or Pro will upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

Instructions:
Optional: Validate your copy of Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.x
Install all necessary drivers e.g. ethernet & wireless card
Open your Windows 10 ISO and extract gatherosstate.exe from the sources folder to your desktop
Run gatherosstate.exe and wait for the GenuineTicket.xml file to be created
Copy the GenuineTicket.xml to a USB thumb drive or something
Boot to your Windows 10 USB or DVD and perform a fresh install
Disable your internet connection
Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ and then reboot
Connect online and you should be activated

If you ever perform a clean install in the future simply select "I don't have a product key" and then when you connect online Windows will activate itself.
If you can’t see the “Program Data” folder after installing 10, go into folder options in the Windows file explorer and tick show hidden files and folders, as it is by default hidden.

This is a working solution.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to do a clean W 10 install for OEM Windows installations:
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 03:19:52 PM »
The days of the free Win 10 upgrade are well and truly over, so no one is entitled to a Win 10 product key unless they have purchased it.

To extract that .exe file from Win 10 ISO to activate Win 10 must be illegal as it bypasses a purchased product key.

However, I would like to point out that the MCT will auto create either a DVD or USB depending upon what you choose, without the need for a 3rd party program like Rufus.
Tom.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 06:18:37 AM »
Consider :
Windows 7 users can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free  January 14, 2020

This may indeed be something that slipped by Microsoft. In its FAQ, it states that to use the media creation tool, you will need a valid Windows 10 product key, but this is not true since valid W7 and 8.1 keys still work.

https://www.techspot.com/news/83541-windows-7-users-can-upgrade-windows-10-free.html
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 06:21:42 AM by mrwoof »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:42:22 PM »
I didn't know that Win 7 and 8.1 users can still free upgrade.

Thanks for posting the link - it was worth a Karma point :)

This free upgrade would mean that there would be no need to extract and copy that .exe file
Tom.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 05:59:54 AM »
Let me tell you the back story of my migration W7 to W 10 adventure:
W 7 was showing error : 8007001f - 0x2006, this displayed being unable to install an update.
Ran the online MS update tool, SFC /scannow, Chkdsk C: /f, none of which detected an issue.
Disabled the relevant services & renamed Software distribution folder yet the error persisted.
Remember I had full functionality apart from this.
I attempted to upgrade my system to W 10 through the M S media creation tool and late into the process the same error. (8007001f - 0x2006) At this point I replaced the hard drive
A clean install requested a Win key, unlike the upgrade process, and here my retrieved OEM  key was rejected.  And days of research produced my solution which I posted.
Boggin,you & Shane  over the years  have helped me sort various software issues that were way above my pay grade!
So being awarded a Karma point from you is an unexpected pleasure!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 09:00:47 AM »
Oh - you deserved the Karma for that article :)

An outdated audio driver has been found to cause that error code when updating one Win 10 version to another, so updating drivers before proceeding with any update may help when problems have been found.

An antivirus program can also disrupt an update

So did you revert back to your Win 7 to find that the MCT would install Win 10 and digitally activate using your OEM key ?
Tom.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 06:53:38 AM »
No, in my case both the upgrade process & clean install failed flagging stated error:

"w 10 upgrade failed
0x8007001f-0x20006
the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation".

My research tells me this error related to update issue in my case is an ehco of a deeper malaise. I suspect locked data in a bad sector.
 So I used the "gatherstateof.exe" process on my working W7 to generate an XML file, & using the replacement hard drive, completed the fresh install (off line) and  I planted this file in the appropriate location of W 10 :
Copy GenuineTicket.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket\ and then reboot.

Had I not had this specific error, I "understand" the upgrade process detects / accepts & validates.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 07:11:59 AM »
I had an experience of chkdsk not picking up on a problem with a HDD but neither did SeaTools for Windows when the trial version of HDSentinel was picking up increasing numbers of bad sectors.

I took its report and changed the HDD.

HDSentinel is a paid for program but you get a 30 day trial and if you uninstall it as I do after using it - that stops the clock on it to use it again as and when.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

The first of the Trial versions does for Windows if you want to plug your old HDD back in and see what HDSentinel reports for that.
Tom.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 10:26:49 AM »
 Thinking of the many thousands of W7 users attempting to resuscitate dated hardware, though I see little reference to this in your various forums.  Thanks for your time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 02:18:02 PM »
I don't think any dated hardware can be resuscitated - it just gets replaced.

Recently I opted to have the motherboard replaced on an old Toshiba Win 7 laptop because the local repair shop was having problems resolving the graphics chip on it.

They eventually managed to source a replacement mobo which turned out to be from the Ukraine and with a slightly earlier AMD graphics than the one it replaced.

In searching for drivers, I came across DriverHub which is a driver updater program which found quite a few drivers for the machine.

I'm not normally keen on those sort of programs but thought this one was impressive.

https://www.drvhub.net/

Tom.

Offline mrwoof

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 07:38:23 AM »
Driver hub, very neat indeed. Running it on all my devices.
Had a couple of detection's where it recommended an earlier system driver than the current one. Chose to ignore.
Also a 2019 M S driver and the recommended hardware specific driver was some ten years old. Again chose to deselect.
thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:00:43 AM »
I ran it on this upgraded Win 10 laptop and it put a couple of Logitech mouse drivers into Device Manager which had yellow alerts on them.

Uninstalling them just saw them reinstated on a reboot so used a 6 day old restore point which went all to hell in normal mode that I had to boot up with a Win 10 install USB to perform an offboot sfc /scannow, which found and repaired corruption.

I was then able to use that restore point from the System Restore option in the Recovery Environment and of the 12 driver updates it had found, manually checking for updates in Device Manager only found a couple that needed updating.

It was a bit disappointing on here but seemed to work well on the Win 7 laptop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 08:29:03 AM by Boggin »
Tom.