Author Topic: Windows start up (Dell AMD Ryzen 5, Inspiron 5675)  (Read 4173 times)

Offline johnwalker1

• View Profile
Windows start up (Dell AMD Ryzen 5, Inspiron 5675)
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:11:24 pm »
I recently restarted my computer because my app (discord) kept showing a long java error, so I hit restart delete all my apps but keep my files. (I didn’t know what I was thinking it was 4am) and now this pop up shows every time I try to load in and it won’t go past it, it says “install windows (X) The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation can not proceed. To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.” And when I click okay it just loads me back into this screen. If you need a picture I can provide one if you privately message me but I’m on my phone right now and I don’t know how to attach images from here sorry, and thanks for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows start up (Dell AMD Ryzen 5, Inspiron 5675)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 04:40:55 am »
I've noticed that you have been reported twice in February for Spamming, however, if this is a genuine post then I will see if I can help you with this.

If you can get access to another machine from either a friend or relative, you will need to create a Hiren's Boot Disk and Win 10 install media.

You'll probably need Imgburn to create the Hiren's Boot Disk.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

Use the 15.2 version.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/imgburn.html

You can create Win 10 install media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The Hiren's Boot Disk may load windows for you.

Tap F12 as you switch on the affected machine and use the cursor keys to select the disk drive - insert the disk and press enter.

If that loads Windows then press and hold SHIFT throughout a Restart to get you into the advanced boot options - select Troubleshoot/Advanced options.

I don't think the Start-up Repair will do anything for you but you could give it a try.

If that reports it is unable to fix the machine then click on Advanced options and select Command Prompt and enter these cmds -

bcdedit |find "osdevice" and using that parttion letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter -

dism /image:x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Again using your partition letter instead of the X I have exampled, enter -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Note the space before each /

exit

To close the cmd window - remove the disk and reboot to see if Windows will load on its own.

For clarity, that is a Pipe symbol before find in the bcdedit cmd and is the uppercase of \

If that's a no go then tap F12 again and select the media you have used for the install media.

If you are using an USB then insert that before tapping F12 and press enter after selecting the media.

If using a DVD then you will be prompted to press any key to boot from CD/USB and you may be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter and navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Command Prompt and enter the bcdedit and dism cmds again.

After you have entered the dism cmd you may be notified about the size of the scratch directory.

If the dism cmd executes then you can ignore that.

If the bcdedit cmd does not return a partition letter then unfortunately you will have to perform a clean install where you will lose all of your personal stuff.

You may be able to transfer your personal stuff though by using Ubuntu.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2147063/linux-to-the-rescue-how-ubuntu-can-help-a-computer-in-distress.html

Good luck and let me know how you get on, but you could also take it in to a repair shop which may negate the need to do a clean install - they would certainly know if your files could be recovered.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:32:06 am by Boggin »