Author Topic: File permissions repair taking VERY long time  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Nakkisoosi

• View Profile
File permissions repair taking VERY long time
« on: February 16, 2020, 02:17:44 am »
Windows 7 64-bit, using Windows Repair free 4.7.1, chose to perform only the file permissions repair job. In safe mode with Administrator account.
It's been working for over 35 hours now. Does 9 times reading, then writes one time, and repeats that.
If the gray bar next to the clock icon should show some progress, it isn't showing anything.
Stuck? Normal?
It would be really usefull if it showed something else too, than just the elapsed time. Maybe how many files it has checked/fixed, ro something.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:29:52 am by Nakkisoosi »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: File permissions repair taking VERY long time
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:42:48 am »
I would stop the program, run a Command Prompt as an admin and enter sfc /scannow to see what it reports.

If it reports it has repaired all corruption or is unable to find any integrity violation, then reboot and run the repair program again, but why do you need to run the Permissions repairs ?

Offline Nakkisoosi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:36:20 am »
Yeah, I did run sfc /scannow already before starting Windows Repair. No problems found.
Installations (e.g. flash player) fail, Firefox and Thunderbird won't open window, only start background processes.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:39:25 am by Nakkisoosi »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:10:56 am »
When the program is running, initially you will see it counting through the initial steps.

I'm running the first three Permissions repairs on my Win 7 laptop and after seeing it reset the Permissions for various things, those repairs completed in just over 11 minutes.

Does IE work -  wondering how you are posting.

Will Flashplayer install and Firefox and Thunderbird work in Safe Mode with Networking ?

While in that mode, can you download and run a scan with the free ESET Online Scanner to see if it finds anything, also run a scan with AdwCleaner to see if that finds any adware.

https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

If they find and remove anything, create a manual restore point and run the repair program again in Safe Mode.

It's best to create the restore point yourself rather than use the option within the program as it doesn't always physically create one, even though it says it does.

If your machine had picked up an infection, that could have been the cause of the prolonged Permissions repair time because the machine needs to be clean before any repairs are run.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 02:27:20 am »
If ESET and AdwCleaner come back clean, here are two articles that could help with Firefox and Thunderbird not opening.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-and-diagnose-firefox-problems

https://windowsreport.com/mozilla-thunderbird-wont-open/

Offline Nakkisoosi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:07:50 am »
Oh, I chose run only the one repair tool: file permissions. And then saw nothing else except elapsed time and the rhythmical reads and writes.

Yeah, Explorer works. Now actually not in home, and using another computer with Firefox.

Firefox doesn't open application window in Windows Safe mode either, only the unkillable process starts. However, the profile creation/selection window does open in Safe mode with -P paramter in the shortcut after the file target. In normal mode Windows the profile creation window does not open, although using the same shortcut and ther parameter is there.

I didn't try the Flash Player installation in Safe mode. Reason is, it's not an important piece of software for me now, and if the installation would work in normal mode window, I would know something positive has happened. BUT installing it in safe mode could also be a good test, seeing then what could be the culprit in normal mode.

Thanks a lot about those suggestions, I'll try them when I get home!

At the moment my biggest suspect is Avira Antivirus. About a week or two ago it updated with new user interface and installed new components too. And of course I tried to unistall Avira to see if that's the case. Well, it didn't go too well: two of the components were uninstalled clean with Windows Programs and Features uninstallation. One was uninstalled a bit dirty (a window was minimized, couldn't be brought top and did not close) and two components did not uninstall at all (Antivirus and VPN). The uninstallation starts, but after asking if I want it uninstalled, nothing else visible happens. And if I try to start another installation jobs, it always compains there's still one uninstallation going on, so I can't start another one. I did try the Microsoft Uninstall and Install troubleshoot cabinet file (MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab and Program_Install_and_Uninstall.diagcab) too: Avira also recommends to use it to remove old leftovers from earlier versions. It did something, but still can't remove the two avira components. I have a support question there in Avira community forum about uninstalling.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:11:55 am by Nakkisoosi »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 08:35:42 am »
Safe Mode with Networking is the only mode that isolates all 3rd party programs as in a clean boot, antivirus programs tend to re-assert themselves.

Windows Uninstall always leaves residue in the registry, but it would seem that Avira no longer provide an Uninstaller.

This website does - https://www.techsupportall.com/avira-uninstall-tool/

If you want to try a different AV program, Kaspersky have a free one you could try - https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-antivirus

I use the paid for version.