Author Topic: Windows Repair Error Message ... Missing file from "...files/regfiles"  (Read 3988 times)

Offline coover

• View Profile
I am running the latest version of Windows Repair ... 4.7.2 ... on a Windows Insider machine running Windows 10 Pro Build 19577, and I get an error message that the file 10_2004 is missing. I tried reinstalling 4.7.2 and got the message again. I then downloaded and ran the Portable version of 4.7.2 and again got the same error message.

I have 7 other machines running Windows 10 Pro Build  18363.693 and am not getting the same message on any of them ... though I notice that the file 10_2004 is not on any of them, too.

That said, ignoring the error on the Insider machine does not appear to stop Windows Repair from running.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The repair program isn't compatible with the Insider version of Win 10.

What problems are you having with this version of Win 10 ?

These should normally be reported to Microsoft but you can run a couple of commands which may resolve Win 10 problems.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit (to close the cmd window).

Offline coover

• View Profile
Two problems ... 1. This problem has to do with Microsoft Office Professional 2019. For the last week, when I attempt to open an Office Application such as Outlook, I have to "repair on-line". This usually works a day or two, but then reappears. ...2. The computer seems to run and boot slowly, even though I try to keep Start Programs to a minimum and unnecessary files deleted (using the tools built into Windows).

The computer is an HP 8300 Elite with an i5-3470S, 16 GB RAM, and a 240 GB SSD.

Offline coover

• View Profile
I have not yet run the commands you have given, but I will this evening.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Is it too late to revert back to the previous Insider build to see if this one is the cause, or was that build 18363 ?

In any event, see if those cmds will resolve the Office problem but report it to Microsoft.

It's fortunate that you didn't experience problems after running WR on an Insider build because which each Windows Update, the Permissions change, which is why Shane needs to keep updating the program.

It's been found that running an older WR on the latest version of Win 10 has caused the machines to fail to boot after the reboot.

When there has been a Windows Update, it's best to wait until you see if the program gets updated before running WR but those two cmds can resolve most OS problems.

An additional one to run first is -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

That one cleans out obsolete updates from the WinSxS folder, although older updates in Win 10 are supposed to be deleted after 30 days.

Depending upon what is wrong with the machine, that cmd can help.