Author Topic: I seem to have broken my computer by trying to run windows repair  (Read 7344 times)

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
I have recently installed windows 10 over windows 7. I had paid for a pro version of the windows repair program and tried opening the program today for the first time in a long time and the program suggested I update so I starting the update program and it stopped installing and told me to reboot. Since then it has not acted the same. It seems like its no longer working correctly. Is there a fix for this? TIA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 09:35:09 pm by tsmith »

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
Re: I seem to have broken my computer by trying to run windows repair
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:36:54 pm »
I am not sure if I need to ask this in another way in order to get suggestions but if I do I would be willing to provide any additional information needed. Again, Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:08:22 am »
Sorry for the late reply but I've been in hospital, although either Shane or jpm should have been looking after the forum.

I would try a restore point to prior to updating the repair program, although Win 10 seems to be a bit shy on creating these.

If that isn't an option then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds to see if they resolve.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

exit

then reboot.

Try a fresh install of the repair program to see if that installs okay.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 11:45:22 am »
Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for responding to my request for help!! To start off I would like you to know that I hope your feeling better and that you are doing well. Very odd times these days with this pandemic. Seems like there is nothing more important than your health..  I have been dealing with computer issues over the past few weeks with this computer and the one I have been using for years which I can no longer see. I had installed windows 10 on both computers very recently and while both are older machines the one I have been using for years just had windows 10 installed about a month ago and for some unknown reason the screen went black---video driver problem? It does have more data on it than it should on the hardrive so I am going to try to take some of that data and move to another drive and try it again and see if thats why its not right. Its a 17 inch asus with 2nd gen I7 processor? Works pretty good other than the screen being black?. Not sure exactly what to do at this point with it. Then there is this computer which I am using now that functions but has some glitches, It will not turn off correctly. I am getting a windows.com stopcode Driver Power State Failure message when I try to turn it off. After making my post here I had talked with a couple of Microsoft advisors who suggested I run a similar sfc /scannow  so I did and the results I received - windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations. I have not tried the Dism /online /cleanup-image/restore health yet but I will try that and then I will install again. I appreciate your help more than you know, I am very new to windows 10 pro which is on this computer and the black screen computer has windows 10 home!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 03:01:01 pm »
For the one with the black screen, leave just one memory module in to see if it resolves the screen problem..

If it does then try each of the rest.

If one module has gone down, it can take the rest with it until removed.

This article may help with the other machine - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/help-with-blue-screen-driver-power-state-failure/3a7427d5-8965-47d4-858d-b34601496f65

Where it's telling you to go into the Power Options, uncheck the boxes for fast start-up and Hibernate.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:46:32 pm »
Tom,

The machine that was going black has started to work again. I am not sure what caused it to work again. I  removed 1 of the 4 memory modules and simply put it back in then started it and it ran so I removed some of the files because it was very full then I updated the video driver and updated windows. At that point it seemed to have caused it to function again correctly. I now am trying to deal with the Dell laptop that has the windows.com stopcode Driver Power State Failure message
I will try your fix and let you know what happens-( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/help-with-blue-screen-driver-power-state-failure/3a7427d5-8965-47d4-858d-b34601496f65 Where it's telling you to go into the Power Options, uncheck the boxes for fast start-up and Hibernate.)
 I have a version of windows repair 2018 v4 on my dell computer now and am wondering if this is the correct current version? If its not can I go to the below links to get the updated version?
Download Links If Needed:

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Pro
------------------------------------------------------------
(Installer)
http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe

(Portable)
http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip

I also have been trying to install a usb device I have Realtek 8812AU Wireless Lan 802.11ac USB NIC (LTeriver 1200Mbps Dual Band Wi Fi Adapter) for a faster wireless connection on this DELL which currently has a built in Wifi and Bluetooth. I can not get it to install so it works on the dell but was able to get to work on the other computer that also has windows 10. I was wondering if you had a fix for me.  http://lteriver.com/download.php

Thank you again for your help.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:01:31 am »
Glad to see that machine is working now but I had asked you to remove all but one of the memory modules to see if it would boot and then try each of the remaining in turn which would have pinpointed if any were defective.

For Win 10 x64 you require a min of 32GB free space for it to work properly.

Turning off Hibernate will give you a few more GBs of space and perhaps a defrag may also help.

Yes, it would be best if you downloaded the latest version of WR from www.tweaking.com

I'm not sure if you could try installing the driver for that USB in Safe Mode with Networking as Win 10 disables wireless in that mode, but in that mode any 3rd party programs that could be interfering with the install would be isolated.

You would need to Ethernet connect.

What is happening when it fails to install - are you getting any error messages ?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:10:29 am by Boggin »

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:59:59 am »
I have 1 Asus Computer and 1 Dell that both have recently had windows 10 installed. The wireless ac usb device does work on the Asus which was the computer with the memory issue you asked me to remove the memory 1 by 1. When trying to install the wireless ac USB device to the Dell it fails to install and I get this error when looking at the properties tab in Device Manager-Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). The Dell computer also has a Dell wireless 1540 802.11A/g/n (2.4 Ghz/5Ghz) network adapter that does work luckily, today anyway. however today when I turned the Dell on my the Intel 82579UM Gigabit Network Connection went out or stopped working and gives me this message under properties (device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful. So right now the only way I can get on the internet is wirelessly using the wireless 1540 802.11A/g/n (2.4 Ghz/5Ghz) network adapter. I am having issues since I moved to windows 10 ( about 1 month or so for the dell and a little longer for asus). Any thoughts? I tried to go to an earlier restore point but did not have on the Dell. Do you think these are 2 old to work with windows 10? I am worried but at the same time cant afford to get a new one. Thanks again!! You really are so helpful I am very appreciative!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 02:29:51 pm »
One adapter could be conflicting with the other, so when you try to install the new one, go into Device Manager, right click on the inbuilt one and select Disable to see if it will install then.

If they are both trying to get a DHCP IP address, then that will conflict and knock out your connection.

I upgraded two low spec Toshiba Win 7 laptops to Win 10 which were bought in 2011 and while the shop where I bought them from said they weren't compatible with Win 10, while one seems a bit slower than the other, they both work fine.

What do Dell and ASUS say about compatibility of the machines ?

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 03:40:56 pm »
so the dell computer now has an ethernet connection so I can wire directly to the router with a cat 6 cable. Not sure what the blank happened but now I have that connection back. I will try to disable now and install. I will tell you what happens

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 03:49:16 pm »
when I try install the driver the software installer Realtek USB Wireless Lan Driver looks like the fonts inside of the installation window are huge and at the very end of the install it gets hung up and says Now installing Cisco EAP-FAST. That has been what happens every time I install. I have to go into task manager to stop it or reboot.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 04:54:29 pm »
I missed your last compatibility question about Dell and Asus. Dell says that it is not compatible after November of 2018 I believe thats what the guy told me today when I called. I was so pissed about it I couldnt think straight and dont remember for sure if it was November or not but I think he said it is compatible with windows 10 up to that November update. Right now I dont know about the asus I have not found out. I dont know what happened for the Ethernet connection adapter to stop and then start working about 5 hours later. This is odd for sure. I did reboot a few times and ran a restore point at 1 point today/ I cant believe that driver software cant be maintained by these large companies. Thanks again for any ideas or suggestions they are greatly appreciated.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:57:13 pm »
It seems like the problem with this deal is that it is not uninstalling the old driver. It doesnt make sense that it runs on the ASUS computer fine and not the Dell. Is it possible to Delete that driver manually or replace a comple of the files inside of the driver?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 02:09:54 am »
You could download the Realtek drivers and save them in your Downloads folder then reinstall, either as an reinstall or uninstall first.

I have both the Ethernet and wireless drivers for my Realtek saved in my Downloads folder.

You may have to Google for Realtek adapter drivers unless you are using an Ethernet GBE LAN as Realtek seem to be no longer supporting drivers.

Sometimes a 3rd party antivirus program can block an Internet connection and to confirm if that is the cause, boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and check the connection.

This can happen because of a Definitions update and will self rectify as they move on.

CISCO EAP-FAST is part of the driver.

Can you go into Event Viewer when an install fails to see if it has recorded anything.

When it has read the data, click on Error then on View All Instances of This Event in the lower right pane.

This will produces a list of date and time stamped errors and clicking on either will produce more info in the pane below it.

Offline tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 03:51:26 pm »
So I am wondering why I have so many Realtek things still in my computer. I used the add remove program feature to uninstall the realteck driver, sorry about the name may be spelled differently. I have attached a snip it of the folder that has a ton of references to that driver utility that I have installed but for some reason I still have the Icon on my desktop and there are ton of references to it even though I have uninstalled it prior to making the snip. Its like it did not really uninstall it. Is it possible to edit the registry somehow to make the computer think that its not installed anymore to maybe cause it to install it correctly? I am guessing for sure but also am lost as to why I cant get it installed correctly Thanks again for the help

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 12:26:47 am »
You could see if you can install it again and then go into Device Manager - click on View/Show hidden devices then expand Network adapters to see if it is listed.

If it is, right click on it and select Uninstall device and check the box to include the software.

I'm not sure if it will also be listed in the USB Controller section.

If it is, then you can right click on it and select Uninstall.

If those prove successful, then you could try the reinstall, but after what you have managed to uninstall, if you aren't prompted to reboot, then it's best to do so.

If the desktop icon is still there after the reboot then you may have to manually delete it by right clicking on it and selecting Delete.