Author Topic: Failure to update to Windows version 2004 0xc1900101 error  (Read 5410 times)

Offline toolpusher

• View Profile
Failure to update to Windows version 2004 0xc1900101 error
« on: April 20, 2020, 09:08:00 am »
Well I have just about given up after 15 failed attempts to update to  Windows ver 2004. I do have two laptops that ungraded first attempt. The error I see is Failed to install on ‎20/‎04/‎2020 - 0xc1900101. I have tried everything suggested on the web. I have tried to install from a USB-- same error. I have updated all drivers. . I ran all 46 repair options in Tweaking repair tool. I don't think I have any errors on my pc I even uninstalled Bitdefender in case it was that. Still failed.  I run an i7 cpu 4790 and geforce GTX1060 with 6MB and 16 MB of ram. The update always fails on the 2nd stage when windows restarts and tells you  its updating the PC. Goes to about 50% then it just states returning your PC to what it was. Trying to update from Win 1909 never had a problem before this. Any suggestions will be appreciated ?.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Failure to update to Windows version 2004 0xc1900101 error
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:27:29 pm »
Windows 2004 is a phased release and is currently just for the Insiders.

That error code generally relates to drivers but as you've extensively searched Google, you will have seen other suggestions.

You could try it as a repair install after creating a 2004 install disk after downloading it from https://thewincentral.com/microsoft-readying-to-launch-windows-10-2004-releases-iso-rtm-build-19041-to-wsus/

A repair install doesn't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

When you have created the disk, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the disk and double click on its drive which should start the process but first open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc scannow

then copy & paste these cmds to the prompt where they will auto run except perhaps for the last one where you will need to press enter.

These cmds will reset the update components.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Enter exit to close the cmd window then try again.

If it still fails then try it as a repair install.

Offline toolpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 01:27:50 am »
Thanks I am a Win insider or was I have now removed myself from the program

The repair option was not available to me as win 2004 never finish's the installation but I did try and install the upgrade as per your instruction again but this sadly fails again once the installation says it complete. Windows restarts and as normal tells me its updating my computer. Then at 27% (this can vary) it stops and simply tells me "Undoing changes to your computer". When the computer eventually restarts and I look in widows setting it tells its failed to install due to the same 0xc1900101 error. 

Thanks for your help and will just wait now for the final release of  version  win 2004 to appear . At least now I don't get nagged to install the ver 2004 anymore as I have withdrawn from the insider program  and possibly the final release will install. I have always been a sucker for BETAS!!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 03:02:55 am »
Hopefully when it is released in May the update will be smoother.

I had problems on one of my Win 7 machines when updating to Win 10 - I think that used to fail on 32%.

I can't remember now if it was because of the Norton 360 I was using at the time.

There must be something on that machine that is incompatible with 2004 - do you use Bluetooth Network adapters ?

Offline toolpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 08:39:46 am »
Hi Boggin

I have installed three things since my last update, never had problems before this.

A wireless keyboard and mouse the runs on the generic HID keyboard  driver so I thought this would not be a problem? (Yes its Chinese)
Also installed a 8 port USB hub that was unplugged during my failed attempts would that still affect the update as its unplugged??
Also a gaming wheel and pedals for my gaming but that was unplugged.

Can drivers that are not in use affect the upgrade?

I use Bitdefender  which I used revo uninstall to totally remove all traces of in case that was the culprit. all drivers double checked and report back all uptodate

Too be honest I will wait now to see what happens when 2004 is officially  released to everyone.

I have installed Tweaking Windows repair and upgraded to pro. Thinks its a great program even though it could not clear or identify my problem this time.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:21 am »
When you unplugged those items, that generally removes the drivers but your USB hub may still be registered in Device Manager.

As they were unplugged then I don't that would have caused the problem as it's advised to unplug external devices when there's an update problem.

Until it is found what was causing 2004 not to install, then there could still be a problem installing the released version - but time will tell.

Offline toolpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 05:03:51 am »
Hi Tom

I just installed a further update to win ver 1909 which went done the same road of the failed ver 2004 . It  downloaded , restarted and fully completed the update without any problems . So that gives me great hope when Win ver 2004 is officially released .

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 07:01:52 am »
Yes, I recently received an update on one of my Win 10 machines and I'm doing the other one now.

Major feature updates can have their own problems though, but hopefully your problem was just with the Insider version.

Offline toolpusher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 08:37:36 am »
Now they tell me!!! Was looking at the Windows insider forums seemingly there's a bug in the present offering of Win 2004 that’s make the OS fail on some PC,s  due to the 0xc1900101 error. Just a heads up for anyone else who has this problem. 

Not sure why I am so keen to install this on my PC  I already have it on a laptop and to be honest  it’s no great shakes as far as I can see.
 :undecided:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 01:34:31 am »
Well hopefully by the time it is released they will have sorted out that bug.

Thanks for letting us know - at least it solves one problem :)