Author Topic: Computer won't boot up after using Windows Repair (all in one)  (Read 6975 times)

Offline juliettegw

• View Profile
Computer won't boot up after using Windows Repair (all in one)
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:38 am »
Hi, I used Windows Repair (all in one) from the site of Bleepingcomputer.com.  I went to step2 as instructed by a moderator on the bc site and clicked the Do It button.  A message came up that my computer would need to be restarted and so I clicked OK.  Now it won't boot up.  I used the restore disk and tried to restore to a different point and it said that it is now restored to a previous point, but my computer still won't boot up.  It just says "Windows is loading files", however, the screen never changes.  I've tried booting up several times with and without the cd.  Nothing works.  Please help.  Thanks for any help you may give me. 

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Computer won't boot up after using Windows Repair (all in one)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:09:08 am »
Step 2 isn't even the repairs yet in the program.

All step 2 does is tell ask Windows to schedule a check on the drive at next boot. Nothing was changed on your system at that point.

So something else is diffidently wrong with the system for it to be having trouble like that :wink:

Have you tried booting into safe mode yet?

Also what version of Windows are you on?

Shane

Offline juliettegw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 04:53:25 pm »
Hi Shane, Thank you for responding.  I thought that was kind of funny too that it hadn't even done anything but scan.  The problem has been solved.  I was lucky that it happened yesterday (or the day before?).  The IT guy came in today to work on some of the other computer problems in our office.  I had already reinstalled the Operating System and he fixed everything else.  My computer had gotten a rootkit virus and we hadn't been able to get rid of it.  I think that it was inevitable that we would have to reload the OS.  Thanks for your reply.  Juliette

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:39 pm »
Glad to hear you got it working. Those rootkits are nasty and sometimes a reinstall is the only option :wink:

Shane