Author Topic: Windows 10 Boot Up too long  (Read 6107 times)

Offline denis

• View Profile
Windows 10 Boot Up too long
« on: April 30, 2020, 03:55:22 pm »
Hi,
I am hoping someone can help. For the last two days, my PC is taking about 15 to boot up to get to the log in screen. It usually only takes less than a minute or so.

I have tried using the CMD commands: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow as administrator. I have also checked for viruses. I have also just run Tweaking repair, but the issue has not changed.

Once I log in my PC seems to be performing as normal

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Boot Up too long
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 02:11:24 am »
Had you downloaded anything prior to this happening ?

If so, then either uninstall it or try your restore points prior to the download.

If not, even though you have checked for file corruption, I would suggest a repair install which won't affect your personal stuff or installed programs.

This article will tell you how to check the time out value for the service, but a repair install will hopefully reinstate the services to how they should be.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-error-1053-the-service-did-not-respond-to-the-start-or-control-request-in-a-timely-fashion/

To perform a repair install you will need Win 10 install media - either a DVD or USB.

You can create this install media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup.exe Application.

This process can take 3 - 4hrs.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 07:02:04 pm »
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your suggestion. I am downloading the install media. I am hoping I will be able to rectify this slow boot-up time. I timed it this morning and it took 6:30 minutes from when I pushed the start button till it got the login screen.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 03:22:03 am »
I assume you hadn't downloaded anything other than updates ?

Prior to performing the repair install, see if a clean boot improves anything.

Right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager then under Start-up items, click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If that improves the start up time, go back into Task Manager and enable one item at a time and reboot until you find the one that is causing the slow.

If disabling those items has no effect, go Start - type msconfig and press enter when System Configuration comes up.

Under Services check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart then see if there's any improvement.

Enable one service at a time if there is any improvement.

You can reinstate all of those services by going into msconfig and check the button for Normal startup.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 01:48:05 pm »
Hi Tom,
Yesterday it got into advanced repair and attempted a 'startup repair'. After a while, it said it could not repair the start-up. I then downloaded the Window
10 ISO and did a 'repair install' which took hours.

After that completed, it still took 6:30 minutes from when I hit the start button and when the login screen appeared.

This morning I went to the task manager and disabled everything and re-started and it still took 6:30 minutes to get to the login screen.

I then accessed the System Configuration, ticked the Hide all Microsoft services and Disabled all. It then took 9:10 minutes to get to the login screen.

So, now I am at a loss as what else to do.

Thanks for your help so far, Tom.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 03:07:18 pm »
I've just checked the status of my Browser service and it isn't there.

A Google found that it is part of SMB1.0 which is no longer used because it is susceptible to malware.

Go Start - type appwiz.cpl and press enter when it comes up.

Click on Turn Windows features on or off then scroll down to see if the box is checked for SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support.

Mine isn't.

Uncheck yours if it is, click OK and reboot to see if there's any improvement in the boot time.

If there's no change then boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and run a scan with the free ESET Online Scanner.

https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

It may be worth running that anyway and then run a scan with the free AdwCleaner.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

Which version of Win 10 are you using ?

Mine is 1909 18363.815

Go Start - type winver and press enter when it comes up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 03:36:16 pm by Boggin »

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 06:18:37 pm »
Hi Tom,
I have the exact same version of win 10 as you. I started up in safe mode and I could do the adwclearner okay, but could not get the
ESET Security to rum. So I am running it now on normal boot up. The security scan did not find anything.

SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support was not checked.

I'm wondering if there could be an issue with a recent Windows 10 update that is causing the issue. This issue started suddendly a few days ago.

Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 05:03:33 am »
I haven't had any problems since the last updates - this laptop boots up in about 1min 10secs.

Can you go Start - type services and press enter when it comes up and check to see if you have Computer Brower listed.

Its Dependencies are Server and Workstation.

Server should be showing as Running Automatic (Triggered) and Workstation as Running and Automatic.

If they aren't then right click on each and select Properties then use the dropdown to change their status - Apply - OK and reboot to effect.

As this only started a few days ago, check to see if you have any restore points prior to the occurrence, but before you try any, create a Hiren's Boot Disk - use the 15.2 download.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

I've had boot problems in the past after using my restore points and have found this boot disk will get Windows back up.

If you don't have any restore points then create a manual one then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds -

sc config Browser start=Demand

shutdown /r /t 00

and see how it boots up.

I haven't tried this cmd on my machine as I don't have any problems.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 01:17:19 pm »
Hi Tom,

I finally gave up trying to fix my PC after I went back to a restore point and after that I could not even get my computer to boot at all. I took it in for repairs and it turned out the issue was they cleaned and reseated the ram and re-installed Windows. I am in the process of installing my programs. Thanks for the help you did offer.
Regards,
Denis

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »
If it had been a memory problem, I would have expected other issues but other than the slow boot up, the machine seemed to working fine.

I could be wrong of course.

I've had a no boot on my Win 10 after using a restore point but was able to get the machine to boot using a Hiren's Boot Disk (15.2 version).

I would advise you to create a 15.2 Hiren's Boot Disk should you have similar problems down the line.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

I'm surprised they didn't try to do something with your machine to try and recover your personal stuff rather than going straight for a clean install - hope you had that backed up.

Offline denis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 05:11:07 pm »
Hi Tom,
I will do that. I did not lose any personal stuff. I only had to re-install the software programs. All my other files and documents are fine.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2020, 01:57:32 am »
Well that's good news and glad that you are back on the road to recovery.

I did a reset on one of my Win 10 machines once and had all of the programs to reinstall, but the Toshiba pre-installed programs that were removed were impossible to find.

It didn't detract from the system working fine though.