Author Topic: Create a Downloadable Fully Self Contained Tweaking Windows Repair Boot Disk  (Read 853 times)

Offline memorialparker

• View Profile
Yes, from Windows one can create a recovery drive.
But,
1. If you have not created a recovery or WinPE bootable USB prior to your computer crashing, the only option Windows 10 gives you is to reinstall Windows, wiping out all your apps, settings, and data. When in reality, you might only need to restore one of your Tweaking registry backups.
2. I have a Win10 WinPE Recovery Drive. It's no help. I am unable to enter safe mode thus unable to run Tweaking Windows Repair Pro.
3. A self contained bootable Tweaking Windows Repair should have everything it needs to get its GUI running. All the Tweaking backups and fixes are useless if one can't run tweaking.
4. If there are command line equivalents for all the functionality in the regular GUI of Tweaking Windows Repair, please publish a dedicated user guide of where they are, and how to use them. Better yet what all to copy to a bootable USB. I downloaded your portable version, but it was useless. It assumes one can log into Windows.
5. Finally, Macrium Reflect, Disk Genius, EaseUS ToDo Backup, AOME! ... many others all are able to create a self contained USB bootable full version of their GUI product equivalent to their installed version of their product. In fact, some of their operations can only be done with their bootable GUI product.
I am guessing based on their product experience in Windows, they have learned it is best not to make their product functionality dependent on flaky Windows.
FYI, I'm a little burned out, spent the weekend reading so so so many googled author's answers who present solutions to fixing various windows problems, in my particular case fixing the green screen of death, from within Windows. Da! If I could get into windows, I wouldn't have the green screen of death.

Thanks. I believe that running some of your file and registry permission reset scripts and services scripts, ... , or being able to restore a few of the many registry and permission backups I made with your app would fix my problem. Having backups one can't get to or an app one can't run is frustrating.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
There is a portable version of the program that you can download onto an USB but the repair program can only be run from within Windows.

While I don't know what caused your machine to crash/not boot, if you have access to another machine you can create a Hiren's Boot Disk which could get your machine back up and running.

Use the 15.2 download - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

Also if you have access to another machine, you can create Win 10 install media after reading -

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Booting up with that and navigating to the Install screen and clicking on Repair your computer will get you to the advanced boot options where you can first try Start-up Repair.

If that says it can't fix the machine, click on Advanced and select Command Prompt and enter these cmds -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter -

dism /image:x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Note the space before each /

Again using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter chkdsk x: /r to see what that reports but if there's a problem with your HDD the Start-up Repair may ID it.

Enter exit to close the cmd window, use the back arrow and select Continue to Win 10 to see if it will boot.

EaseUS also has a data recovery disk you could create should the machine still not boot, although it appears to be a paid for program.

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/windows-10-creators-green-screen-of-death-fix.html

Tom.

Offline memorialparker

• View Profile
I did download the portable version but it was useless as I cannot get into windows. I already created a recovery drive from another pc. But, I've often heard of but never used this Hiren's Boot Disk. And never found instructions on what to do if I did have it. On a working version of Windows, I have run DISM and SFC many times but not in this situation. Thanks I will try thias Hiren's Boot Disk along with the instructions as to what to do afterwards.
Its utterly insane how backwards Microsoft as gone. Used to be able to do an upgrade/repair install from boot. I will never understand their current logic ... you can only repair Windows if its not broken. AND  as a special bonus, NO MORE SERVICE PACKS ... EVERY RELEASE OF WINDOWS AS A SERVICE WILL BE IN ALPHA (NOT BETA) STAGE FOREVER. What a wonderful idea. I've reinstalled Windows10 in Sept 2019, Dec 2019, twice in April 2020, and probably now again. INSANE. Can only assume all programmers with any historical knowledge, like Bill Gates himself, have all retired. History is repeating itself, we are back to 3.1.

Offline memorialparker

• View Profile
I created a new win 10 install media created from that media creator, again useless, for me Startup Repair has never worked, and it will only do a repair install from within a running windows installation (that doesn't need repaired). It will only do a clean install of Windows wiping out everything, even folders and disk space that has nothing to do with Windows. Go Figure. I own EaseUS todo backup, did a full disk restore and for my effort got a the green screen of death.
I can get to a cmd prompt.  All my disks, all my folders, all my data, all my users folders are there. Its just Microsoft is obsessed with total destruction of all just because they have one or two bad files in their Windows directory.
I ran chkdsk on all my disks, all perfect. Ran SFC, came back said everything is perfect.
I've never had Windows 10 run more than a month without some major problem. Every new Feature release, they obsessively feel the need to reset all your personal settings. Simply Insane.
If I could get Tweaker Windows Repair to rip through all its scripts from a command prompt, I am sure what ever it is would get fixed.
Then there is that MVP that pops his ugly head on every post. His solution to everything is to reinstall windows from scratch. That is not feasible every month. How can they not detect and fix errors, or rebuild indexes in their SXS and update folder, these are problems we worked out in Windows 3.1.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Did you run the dism /restorehealth cmd as described before the sfc /scannow ?

I've never had much luck with Start-up Repair either except for once when it reported there was a S.M.A.R.T problem on my HDD and that it was failing, but you have to give it a chance to diagnose.

I've occasionally performed a repair install when I felt my Win 10 wasn't working as it should, but for the most part, found the dism /restorehealth and sfc /scannow cmds have resolved most problems.

Reading up on the GSOD, it seemed to only apply to the Insider build from a Feb 2020 Google article.

The Hiren's Boot Disk should hopefully boot up Windows.

I've only had to use it once when the machine wouldn't boot up after using a restore point, but the screen remained black prior to that.

When you boot up with the install media to go into the advanced boot options, there is an option to use your restore points.

Have you checked those, although as you've attempted to restore with a back up, that may have wiped out any restore points.

Have you tried another restore with that EASUS back up ?

When you switch the machine on, does it go to the Win 10 logo.

If it does, then power shut down as soon as it comes up.

Do this another twice where you will see it go into Diagnostic mode which will eventually get you to the advanced options where you have the Reset option.

While this will remove all installed programs, you can opt to retain your personal stuff.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Here is a later version of Hiren's Boot Disk which may have more tools to get you back up - https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hirens_bootcd_pe.html
Tom.