Author Topic: Advice on using Registry Backup and restore please  (Read 5444 times)

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
Advice on using Registry Backup and restore please
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:28:08 pm »
I’m new to tweaking.com forums so please bear with me if you can.

The first I knew that I had a problem was that a USB microphone driver failed, the microphone would not work and the driver wouldn’t uninstall. I thought I would simply have to restore the Windows Registry with System Restore and all would be well.

However, try as I might using advice from various web sites, I could not recovery any old versions of the registry and System Restore always failed with error 0x80070005. So I started looking for registry backup and restore programs and tweaking.com’s Registry Backup looks like it should do the job and give me a way of keeping the Registry up to date without a working Windows System Restore.

I have done some practice backup/restores with Registry Backup and it seems to work in that the Registry does get restored but I am unsure that I am using the best options and I do get an error when I restore.

The error I get with the Registry Backup after restoring is “The User Profile Service failed to sign in. User profile cannot be loaded”. But I can log in and my desktop looks as it should.

Would I be best to use Volume Shadow Copy from now on or Fallback?

Can I repair the Profile error that I get after I use Registry Backup to restore?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tony

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on using Registry Backup and restore please
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:23 am »
That error code denotes some form of Access Denied which could be caused by your antivirus program.

You haven't said which version of Windows you are using, but boot up into Safe Mode and try the normal restore points again.

Your antivirus program as well as other 3rd party programs will be isolated in that mode.

However, there have been problems for some in using system restore in Win 10 - and me included in that the machine wouldn't boot on the restart.

Because of this, when I advise someone to try their restore points, I advise them to first create a Hiren's Boot Disk.

I successfully used the 15.2 version but there is a later version which you could also make a disk for.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6966-hirens-bootcd.html

The failure to uninstall that driver could be because of a problem with the system files.

This dism cmd is for Win 8.1 and Win 10 while the sfc /scannow can also be used on Win 7.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Then enter shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate reboot and try the driver uninstall again.

The dism cmd should report as either successful or that it has fixed something while the sfc /scannow will report no integrity violations or that it has repaired some file corruption.

How did you try uninstalling that driver - was it from Programs and Features or from within Device Manager ?

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 11:44:33 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes sorry, I should have said Windows 8.1.

I will follow the steps you suggest and see how it turns out.

Tony

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:02 am »
Yes, I can now successfully Restore with Windows 8.1 System Restore! Huge thanks for your help!! And I am using Tweaking.com Registry Backup as well.

The problem was being caused by the unsuccessful driver uninstall, there was an Unknown Device in Device Manager - I should have spotted it sooner, but I don't do these sorts of things everyday.

On your advice I have created a Hiren's Boot Disk. And I have also bought Tweaking.com Windows Repair in the hopes that I don't have to use it much. Thanks!!

Tony

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 06:46:15 am »
Glad to see that things have worked out and that should please Shane that you have bought the repair program - he spends a lot of time on it to keep it up to date because of the changes to Win 10 with each Windows Update.

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 01:44:27 am »
I still have a query about Tweaking.com Registry Backup.

I have been keeping my Windows Registry Backup up to date by creating restore points and I have been making registry backups with Tweaking.com Registry Backup at the same time.

Something bad happened and Windows re-arranged my Desktop so I tried to just move the icons around but then it got worse and started to have a mind of it's own. I had backups from a few hours previous so I tried to restore them. Windows System Restore failed with  error 0x80070005 even though I had stopped the antivirus. I then ran Tweaking.com Registry Backup to restore the registry, this finished OK but when I went to log in I received the message that the User Profile had failed to load.

Here's my question:
Does Tweaking.com Registry Backup actually restore the backup fully before I log in and see the User Profile error? That is to say does Tweaking.com Registry Backup restore all of the registry?  * Or does it just give up and not do the restore, just the same as Windows System Restore does not actually restore anything when it fails?

Tony
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:50:13 am by gigaday, Reason: Add after * »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 01:55:03 am »
I'm not sure how the registry back up restores or what could have corrupted your user profile, but boot into Safe Mode - go Start - type rstrui.exe and press enter when it comes up.

This will get you to your restore points to try them again.

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 09:58:56 am »
OK, I'll try that.

But I still don't know what the answer to the question:
Does Tweaking.com Registry Backup actually restore the backup fully before I log in and see the User Profile error? That is to say does Tweaking.com Registry Backup restore all of the registry?
Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »
I've passed your thread onto Shane for that question, but let me know if the restore points are successful in that mode.

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 11:28:39 pm »
Thanks, Tom.

I'll be interested to know more about Tweaking.com Registry Backup as it is listed on your web site in third place in your Top Programs.

I ran rstrui.exe in Safe Mode and it completed successfully - I wonder if shutting down the anti-virus isn't the only thing that needs to be stopped before doing a Windows Restore Registry.

Tony

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 05:01:12 am »
Glad to see that the restore worked in that mode and resolved the user profile error.

Generally when you get a failed restore error it is normally because of your antivirus program, but I suppose it could have been because of a combination of other programs in your Start-up menu.

All of these items are isolated in Safe Mode.

I'm not sure when Shane will reply to my email as he's generally quite busy and can get overwhelmed with his computer repair business.

As I'm just an ordinary member of the forum like you, other than I've been elevated to Moderator, I don't know the ins and outs of Shane's programs so I have to refer any tech questions about those to Shane.

Offline gigaday

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 05:21:56 am »
As I'm just an ordinary member of the forum like you, other than I've been elevated to Moderator, I don't know the ins and outs of Shane's programs so I have to refer any tech questions about those to Shane.
Understood. You are doing a good job, Tom. Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 05:23:15 am »
Thanks - I try to help where I can :)