Author Topic: NOn-functioning DVD/CD ROM drive has completely disappeared  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Waysider74

• View Profile
Or, perhaps the subject heading should be phrased t'other way around: "Completely disappeared DVD/CD ROM derive isn't functioning". Reason for the either/or is because I've no idea which came first; the disappearance from Windows Explorer of the drive, or the fact that nothing now happens when I press the button on the computer case to open the disk tray.

The first time I realised there was a problem was when the tray refused to open despite repeated button pressings. Then when I happened to check Windows Explorer I saw only Computer/ Drive C/ Drive E, where C is my internal SSD for the Windows 7 OS and programs, and E is the 'My Documents' drive for everything else.

No sign of Drive D -- the drive letter that used to be there for the CD/DVD drive.

I've looked in Device Manager and there's no mention there of any DVD/CD ROM drive either.

It. Has. Vanished.

And because it's not showing at all in Windows, I'm stumped as to how to get it to actually start working again. (I've re-checked, usingSystem info, from Windows 7 forum. It shows only two hard disks: the Crucial SSD and the Western Digital E Drive.)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:37:17 am by Waysider74, Reason: mistyped something and the text posted before I was ready »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NOn-functioning DVD/CD ROM drive has completely disappeared
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 03:08:23 pm »
It's quite possible that it has died as it is no longer listed in Device Manager.

Over the years I've had DVD drives go toes up on me, but when they no longer would read any disks, I assumed the lasers had gone and so had them replaced, but for it to be missing from Device Manager suggests that it is dead.

This probably looks like another trip to the repair shop - are you able to carry the case or do you have someone to help with that ?

Offline Waysider74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 06:18:44 am »
@ Tom: Many thanks again. Your help continues to be appreciated. I reckon you're right: the fact that the device has vanished completely would seem to indicate it's no longer working. Fortunately our son is staying on the top floor of our 3 storey home throughout this 'lockdown' and he'll be able to shift my PC from my 2nd floor study down to the car for me to drop off at the repair shop. Again, thanks Tom for your thoughtfulness. (Dear God: the sooner these days of lockdown are over, the better. . .)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:56 am »
The lockdown doesn't make a great deal of difference to me as I've been suffering from chronic back since getting out of hospital near the end of March - so I couldn't go out for a walk even if I wanted to.

With living on my own for so long now, the isolation doesn't bother me, although I get to have a chat at a distance with one of my sons when either get my shopping for me.

The UK is starting to relax some of the lockdown but given we still have deaths reported, I think it's still too early.

Anyway, as long as I'm confined to my home, I should remain safe - hopefully :)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 01:31:34 pm »
When did you first notice that DVD drive wasn't working and that it had gone missing from Device Manager ?

A thought came to me that is was possible that the repair shop could have dislodged a cable.

I don't have any experience of a desktop machine so I don't know how they are connected to the motherboard - on laptops that I've changed them on, they just plug in.

When you take the machine back to report the missing DVD drive, mention could a cable have been dislodged when they serviced it.

It could save you shelling out for a new drive.