Author Topic: CLEANMEM program update  (Read 942 times)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
CLEANMEM program update
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:14:17 AM »
- The forum at the PCWINTECH website has been "taken down". That's a pity because a program called CLEANMEM still can be improved (a bit). I hope this post won't be "locked"and/or thrown out.

- I want to bring to Shane's attention that when the user has a (very) high DPI monitor, the GUI of both the "Setting" menu and the "Mini Monitor" of CLEANMEM have problems properly displaying all the characters used in the GUI. The user who posted this problem had a Windows 10 system but I am sure it will happen on other Operating Systems as well.

- This problem was posted on the PCWINTECH forum before that forum was removed.

(I still have a few more suggestions to improve this program).

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: CLEANMEM program update
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:59:12 AM »
I'll pass this on to Shane.

What happens when you use the repair program's Clean Memory ?
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »
- Tweaking's Windows Repair indeed also uses the same "engine". But it's a stripped down version of CLEANMEM.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:37:45 AM »
Does it not do the same job ?
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 12:28:20 PM »
- Yes, it does the same job. It reduces the amount of "In Use" memory (See Resource Monitor (memory tab) in e.g. Windows 7). It's also the same *.exe file. But the "CLEANMEM package" comes with some extra features and it places an entry in Task Scheduler to execute the program every 15 minutes.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »
Well as it isn't even listed in the Tweaking.com programs and with that forum being closed, it will no longer be accessible and no longer supported.

I've sent Shane an email with a link to your thread, so we'll just have to wait until he picks it up.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 08:07:58 AM »
@Boggin:
- I know that there is a version v2.51 of the CLEANMEM program. Where has that version gone ? Because when I download the program it tells me "v2.50".

(More CLEANMEM suggestions will follow, when time permits)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
- Of all the tools I have downloaded from the PCWINTECH website this tool is the only one that I still use everyday on my Windows 7 system. Perhaps the PCWINTECH forum website can be restored in trimmed down version. E.g. only support for PCWINTECH programs ? Or move all the PCWINTECH programs to the TWEAKING website / forum ?

- Suggestions for the new CLEANMEM version:

(See the picture "Screenshot_66")

1)
- Black arrow & rectangle:  Where is version v2.51 ??

2)
- Provide info on the size of the pagefile and/or the amount of used pagefile. (either in % or the amount). Let the user to select those option (see the 2 red arrows) Then that info can show up in the Mini Monitor (3rd red arrow).

- Perfomance Monitor is able to pull this info up (on my Windows 7 system) as well but this counter is language dependent.

3)
- Add an additional tab (between green arrows) in which options can placed to (temporarily) "clean out" the "Standby" memory. I don't know whether or not there is an API that can be used to do the job.
- There are 2 tools around that are able to "clean" the "Standby" memory:

- https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/
       - https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released
         (The GUI of this program gives a good clue of what kind of options could be put in that new "Standby" tab. See also the picture "Screenshot_103" below).

- But I would like to see this feature integrated into CLEANMEM.

4)
- Move the info inside the olive green rectangle a bit lower. Then the option "Show Monitor" (blue arrow) can be displayed in larger font and underlined. And perhaps in e.g. red characters.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 03:37:54 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 01:26:20 AM »
- Question:  Does CLEANMEM also "Clean" the socalled "Zombie" processes ?

- "Zombie" processes are processes that aren't detected by Task Manager but do show up in Sysinternals' RAMMAP. E.g. when I run Piriform's Defraggler then a number processes called "Defraggler.exe" show up in the "Processes" tab in RAMMAP. The highest number of these processes I saw was 38. But when I open the "Process" tab in Task Manager I see only 1 Defraggler process called "Defraggler64.exe".

- Each of the processes - even every zombie - has a unique PID. So, these "zombies" can be cleaned as well by CLEANMEM. It's just a matter of pulling up the proper PIDs of those zombies.

- The following video brought the existence of those "Zombies" to my attention (watch the video from about 21:00)
https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-6-RAMMap

- Sysinternals' RAMMAP:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/rammap
(The latest version (v1.52) still contains a SMALL but annoying bug.)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 01:35:39 AM »
That's the first I've heard of these as well, but they must be a natural part of Windows.

However, when I clicked on the 21.40 link I was just sent back to the home page - how do I view that section ?
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 02:16:25 AM »
- Odd, very odd. I don't have any problems viewing the video and "playing" with it.
- No, based on info from the video, these zombies can be prevented from showing up by improving the program code of a program.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 02:24:28 AM »
Well if they don't cause any memory problems then you can probably ignore them and given how unknown they appear to be, they don't appear to be causing any problems for anyone else.

As they say, "ignorance is bliss" :)

I use IE - which browser do you use ?

There is one site I need to use Firefox to get to and I think there has been another website that I had to use Firefox for, so perhaps that is the reason ?

I'll try later with Firefox to read the article.

Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »
- In both IE and Chrome (Windows 7) I have no problem watching the video. Seems something on your system is "interfering" with the webpage/video.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 03:02:48 AM »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 03:11:30 AM »
I use Win 10 - I do have a machine that still has Win 7 on it but it will be a while before I can try it on there.

I'm currently trying Firefox and while it has taken me to the video, I just get a black screen with a busy circle on it.

I'll leave Firefox open to see if it can get there.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 03:20:03 AM »
I've closed Firefox as it looks like it's not going to get there.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 05:28:14 AM »
- I heard that the latest Win 10 update (2004 ???) had some "weak spots". Perhaps that's the reason the video won't play ?

- With some GOOGLING I found this script that seems to clear the "Standby list". It's written in C# and that language is all gobble-dee-gook for me. But I know Shane knows C (like the back of his hand ??). There indeed seems to be an API to clear the "Standby" memory.

Source:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12841845/clear-the-windows-7-standby-memory-programmatically
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 05:38:39 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 03:22:56 PM »
Well I've tried it on my Win 7 machine and got the same result for IE but Firefox initially went to the black screen with the busy on it and then back to the home page but I got audio.

As the video related to pics, I couldn't see what they were referencing.

However, when I tried it on my other Win 10 machine, both IE and Firefox played the video fine, so I don't what's happening there.

They are both Win 10 1909 machines.

I did update this one to 2004 through Windows Update but it froze the machine, so I reverted to 1909 with a Macrium system image I'd created before the update.

I've noticed that I've been offered the 2004 update again which I may give another go tomorrow after creating another system image.

I've also noticed that I've finally been offered the 2004 update on my other machine, so I may try it out on that one first.
Tom.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 04:09:58 AM »
- I have another question regarding CLEANMEM. How does the user know that a new version is available ? Is there a balloon appearing on the CM system tray icon ? I Always let the program run upon start-up using Task Scheduler and then I don't see the main GUI of the program.

- Same question for Registry Backup. Because this program runs under the system account and with Task Scheduler as well. Therefore there is no user action required to start the program.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 04:24:31 AM by Willy2 »