Author Topic: Tweaking om's Windows Repair new version won't install. Old version won't either  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Waysider74

• View Profile
 I downloaded and installed (without a hitch) Tweaking com's Windows Repair version 4.8.0 in April on my Windows 7 computer. I'd been experiencing a variety of problems with the PC, including failure to boot and a sluggishness that was growing ever more noticeable.

Thanks to the generosity and genius of those responsible for Windows Repair, I only had to run the program once. . . and my PC came to life and has run smoothly ever since.

I left the program in place with its tray icon visible ever after, just in case anything else went wrong. I had a problem with the PC seeming to refuse to awaken from an overnight sleep mode a few days ago, so I clicked on the icon to launch Windows Repair but was immediately advised that version 4.8.0 was out of date and that I should download and install the new version.

So I did. And have gotten nowhere since.

I downloaded the new exe into its own subfolder whilst keeping the old 4.8.0 exe still in its own sub folder. I used Revo Pro to uninstall 4.8.0. Next, I attempted to install the latest Windows Repair version.
Unfortunately, everything came to a stop with the warning:

"Could not open the uninstall excutable for writing:
Access to C:\Program Files (x86) Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\uninstall.exe was denied.
C:\Program Files (x86) Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\uninstall exe"

I tried another couple of install attempts but each time the process failed for the same reason.
As I was perfectly happy with the earlier 4.8.0 version (I do wish I hadn't tried to update it!) I went back to that version's original installer exe. Installation had gone without a hitch in April; I could see no reason why it wouldn't do so again. 4.8.0 might be out of date but it would obviously be better than nothing.

Unfortunately, the re-install of the old version came to an abrupt halt in the same way that the install of the new version did. The warning in regard to 4.8.0 install was identical.

So I now have the installer packages/ exes for both the current and previous version of Windows Repair but neither of them will install because:

"Could not open the uninstall excutable for writing:
Access to C:\Program Files (x86) Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\uninstall.exe was denied.
C:\Program Files (x86) Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\uninstall exe"

Sorry to be a nuisance with a query that may be trivial, but I feel such an idiot. :confused: Advice/ help appreciated!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and try the fresh install again.

I don't know what's blocking it - whether it's your antivirus program or the fact that you had two versions on there which conflicted somehow.

You could try your restore points back to before you tried to update, but they can cause some programs not to work on completion.

Offline Waysider74

• View Profile
Thankis Tom; you do seem to have to keep coming to the rescue where I'm concerned at the moment. I'll go into Safe mode now and try to install the new version again. If that doresn't work, then I'll try System restore. I've never had much luck with that in the past but it'll be worth a go.  :smiley:

Offline Waysider74

• View Profile
Hi Tom/ AKA Caped Crusader: well, you did it again -- I've just followed your advice, and it's worked perfectly: Windows repair 4.9.0 installed without a hitch in Safe mode. I've also run a repairs check with it to make sure it's functioning OK. All is well. Please take the weekend off now; no more work for you. Thanks again -- the help is much appreciated! :cheesy:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Glad that worked for you and thanks for the update.

No rest though :)

Offline Fizbin

• View Profile
Tom,

Super Newby here. I am having the same issue with Windows 10.  :cry:  Should I also perform the reinstall in Safe Mode?

Thanks,

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes - give that a try.

Offline Fizbin

• View Profile
Tom,

That was the trick.  I installed it in safe mode, and all is well.

Thank you!
 :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Glad that worked for you as well.

Sometimes your antivirus program on checking files can retain them so they don't install.

In Safe Mode with Networking, all 3rd party programs including your AV program will be isolated, allowing legitimate installs.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 01:55:39 am by Boggin »