Author Topic: Registry Backup no longer works correctly in current build (19041.xxx) of Win10  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Ransom

• View Profile
Hello, folks,

If you execute a “Restore” via the Windows interface of Registry Backup, an error message appears after the restart:

Error during the registration of the service "user profile service".
The user profile cannot be loaded.

If you click on “OK”, it seems that you enter Windows via the same user (“Admin”), but it is clearly another user whose profile is created for the first time during login. The first thing that happens after login is an error message:

No login to the account possible.

If you click on Close here, a short note appears in the lower right corner that you have been logged in with a “temporary profile”. After another restart everything is normal again or you will be logged in with your correct profile.

Microsoft seems to have changed something in its latest build that causes an error in the outdated version 3.5.3 of Registry Backup (11/18/2016).

Not such an elegant solution: You do not use the Windows interface of Registry Backup, but the DOS program dos_restore.cmd. To do this, boot with the Win 10 repair disk, then select “Troubleshooting”, then “Advanced Options” and finally the “Command Prompt”.

Since I appreciate Registry Backup since Windows 10 as much as I used to appreciate EruNT, I would be very happy if Shane could adapt the program to the current builds of Win10.

Kind regards
Ransom

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Does the same occur when you use the Registry Backup in the Tweaking.com Repair program ?

I'll pass this onto Shane for him to have a look at.

Offline Ransom

• View Profile
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I tried it also with the Tweaking.com Repair program and the same phenomenon occurred. When you use the program, it has a black surface in contrast to the “normal” registry backup, but at the top of the program bar it says “3.5.3”.

By the way, the phenomenon occurs in my “normal” Win 10 Pro Desktop as well as in a Win 10 Home VirtualBox.

Greetings,
Ransom

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Okay - I've sent an email to Shane with a link to your thread.

I don't have Win 10 2004 so I can't check it out.

I did update to 2004 through Windows Update but it was causing my laptop to freeze so I reverted back to 1909 with a system image I'd created prior to updating.

So far it hasn't reappeared in Check for updates.

Offline BluePT

• View Profile
Same problem here. Win10 20H1 2004.  :tongue:

Offline BluePT

• View Profile
Okay - I've sent an email to Shane with a link to your thread.

I don't have Win 10 2004 so I can't check it out.

I did update to 2004 through Windows Update but it was causing my laptop to freeze so I reverted back to 1909 with a system image I'd created prior to updating.

So far it hasn't reappeared in Check for updates.

Update directly to 2004 has some issues. My advice: clean install.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Same problem here. Win10 20H1 2004.  :tongue:

Which problem are you referring to - the registry backup program or 2004 causing freezing ?

I reinstalled the update through Windows Update when it was re-offered and now the machine works fine.

Offline Ransom

• View Profile
Hello folks,

I have performed a CleanInstall for Windows 10 Pro (2004) on my “normal” (host) system, an ImplaceUpgrade of Windows 10 Home from 1909 to 2004 on a VirtualBox and just recently a CleanInstall of Windows 10 Home 2004 in another VirtualBox.

In all three cases the error message described in the incoming post appears after a “Restore” via the Windows interface of Registry Backup or after a restart:

Error during the registration of the service "user profile service".
The user profile cannot be loaded.

Ransom

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll pass this back to Shane.

Edit - email sent.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:51:59 am by Boggin »