Author Topic: win 7 major screw up after running windows repair v4.9.0 pro  (Read 4251 times)

Offline kk159

• View Profile
I have recently been having AMD driver issues so I decided to do a clean install of the driver, then run all repairs using windows repair v4.9.0 pro in safe mode.
Did all pre-repair steps except I forgot to back up the registry.
My system is win 7 x64 SP1 ultimate.

After the repair, my OS's folder icon associations are completely messed up.  They are normal in safe mode, but in regular mode, the following issues suddenly appear:
When I open 'My Computer', none of the drives shows up.
When I launch control panel, there is 0 icon in it until I wait a minute or 2.
When I open any folder, all icons(.png, .mp4, .doc, .txt etc.) are blank.  After a few refresh, the green bar in the address bar shows up and it always takes longer than 3 minutes for the icons to display.  That folder only has 10 files.  I got very fast CPU and SSD.
The above issue repeats the next time I open the same folder.

I tried to reset the icon cache and restore win 7 default folder templates, none of them helped.

Searched on sevenforums and didn't find a solution.

Then I realize I have a windows generated registry back up in c:\windows\system32\config\RegBack
The back up was created just before I used windows repair pro's repair all function.
I manually restored the 5 registry files using cmd before getting into the OS, and the icon / explorer problems are solved.

I'm 100% sure your software was the reason for this mess up, spent the whole afternoon trying to fix it.
:angry:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 06:18:31 pm by kk159 »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: win 7 major screw up after running windows repair v4.9.0 pro
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 01:30:45 am »
There has been a similar complaint about WR in Win 10 1909.

I'll report your problem to Shane as well.

The repair program auto creates a registry back up prior to running the repairs, so glad that back up got you out of it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:43:49 am »
Shane has suggested that Windows could have created another profile but the program doesn't have a line of code that could have caused the loss of those files.

I've asked him how/why the profile change could occur after running WR.

Offline kk159

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 11:59:05 am »
Another profile?  User profile?

I don't know which repair option caused this icon bug / green bar of death.  Maybe the ones in file associations?
Should be reproduceable on a lot of machines.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 02:28:41 pm »
I haven't test run this version on my Win 7 or Win 10 machines, so don't know if it would cause the same problem on mine.

However, prior to test running the program, I always created a system image first.

Creating system images onto external media should be a routine thing though as you never know when you would need to restore from one.

Offline Jmtweak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 09:58:43 pm »
There has been a similar complaint about WR in Win 10 1909.

I'll report your problem to Shane as well.

The repair program auto creates a registry back up prior to running the repairs, so glad that back up got you out of it.

YEs I have had a problem where windows 10 wouldnt boot after running WR aswell as seing other posts , solution was to run recovery in command promp and find the Regbac directory and run the dos_restore file in it.