Author Topic: Win 8.1 does not remember last user after reboot - [Solved]  (Read 25205 times)

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Win 8.1 does not remember last user after reboot
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:00 am »
Rather than trusting to torrents I think it would be advisable to use the link I have provided.

JohnCoool

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 09:34:48 am »
Yes there is a safer way of doing things. However, I am not too worried because I occasionally take image backup of my drive just in case the disk totally fails.

The solution that I used to solve the issue was to just click on restore registry. I tried the same solution from Wondershare Live boot but did not work as it gave an error. But from Hiren-Boot it gave successfully restored.

As for changing services from settings. You will just need to locate them in the registry (I found them on internet. different for each O/S) then use 0-4 depending on what you need. the values are explained here: https://www.digitalwelt.org/en/tips/software/disable-services-state-through-regedit

I sent you the wrong link here to download the tool. I meant to send you the same one you sent me back...

I tried the clean boot 2 more times while changing some settings and failed again. This means there is a bigger issue than I expected.

I found a tool a few months ago that repairs the corrupted files because the DISM solution does not work on older systems like Win7. This tool can work on other newer O/S as well (Just needs to be run a few times and it works very quickly). Found here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/downloads/sfcfix/

I will be trying the DISM solution as a last resort (The reason is that it will be changing back some of features that I need that were created by a patch that I installed). I am now try to find the source of the issue.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2020, 09:36:44 am »
I don't understand your reply.

I've always considered torrents to be risky.

JohnCoool

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2020, 10:31:20 am »
Ok I will get on it. The last message is suppose to include text from me that in that message I sent you the wrong Link for the tool. I meant to send you the same one you replied back with.

JohnCoool

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2020, 12:34:24 pm »
I sent DM to you because I am on another device and need live assistance if possible...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2020, 12:57:45 pm »
So have you created Win 8.1 install media to boot up with ?

Re, your PM what assistance do you require ?

JohnCoool

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 02:26:48 pm »
I thought you would read it. I sent it because I needed live assistance while I was try to get it started and then I found the problem.

I had an issue with the command then I noticed I missed a letter. I ran it and rebooted.

But with no luck. It did not work.

However, I think I know the reason for all the problems.

I had same corrupted files on Win 7 and did not get repaired until I ran the tool I showed you before and when it got fixed the theme was gone.

They are patches to force certain types of theme and then they alter certain system files which the files see them as corrupted.

The one I am using on Win 8.1 is to use Aero themes.

So I will remove the patch and I am sure that it will fix all the issue that I am facing here.

I will update afterwards...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2020, 02:48:31 pm »
Okay - thanks for the update and hope your solution works.

JohnCoool

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2020, 04:07:59 pm »
It did not...

I want to try one thing but I need your feedback before proceeding so that I don't ruin it even more.

I am going to log in from Hiren boot (it should work. Moving locked files is possible from Wondershare) and move all the "corrupted files in the CBS log" to drive D. then boot from the Win ISO and run DISM.

I am assuming that will create new ones. If not then I can put the old ones back...

JohnCoool

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 04:20:05 pm »
Here are the files from the Log that I will be removing temporarily.

I don't get why img100.jgg is still showing as corrupted. That is the one I changed to use my own image at the user list background and then after the repairs I saw that it has been changed back to normal in the directory but not in the User list. Over there it is the one I created. Could this be the problem that is not allowing to remember the last use after Logon?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"\[l:34{17}]"Windows Store.lnk" from store

C:\WINDOWS\Boot\Resources"\[l:22{11}]"bootres.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\Web\Screen"\[l:20{10}]"img100.jpg"

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:14{7}]"fde.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:22{11}]"fdeploy.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:20{10}]"gpedit.dll"

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64"\[l:20{10}]"gptext.dll"

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2020, 03:19:51 am »
It's my understanding that Hiren loads Windows so I can't see the point of booting up with that.

Can you remove those files while in Safe Mode ?

I would create a system image before removing anything.

After you have run the dism /image:x:\ command using your partition letter, follow that with a sfc /scannow as I've previously described to see what that reports.

JohnCoool

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2020, 05:45:27 am »
The problems are why worse that I thought possible.

Here are the new updates.

I wanted to try your idea of moving files from safe mode but was unable to reach it. I have restricted access to safe mode and can only be done if I create a new user to remove the restriction. But I was unable to create a new user. It would not allow sign in then I checked the information on the internet and they had a tip from registry but that wont work unless there was already a login into that profile to create an entry in the registry to edit it.

Then I tried to reboot into safe mode to login to that account but the system crashed while trying to boot into safe mode (2 times). (I still doubt that system files can be moved from any active windows partition and will test it later to see if you are me is correct)(Let's do a virtual bet on this)...

Anyway I will do the same thing I did last time to remove system file which was either from Wondershare live boot (similar to Hiren-boot) or repair-boot-disk.

I don't know if we should now close the thread because now the last user can be remembered. It might be because I removed the patch yesterday or because I created a new user.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2020, 06:54:21 am »
I believe you are correct that you cannot delete a file when it is in use.

However, see if this free program will help, although I'm not sure if it will work on system files - https://www.malwarebytes.com/fileassassin/

DeleteDocter in Hiren's may do it for you where you can drag and drop a file into the UI.

It may help if you can take ownership of the file.

That registry hack for adding Take Ownership to the right click context menu can be useful in these situations.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:03:18 am by Boggin »

JohnCoool

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 07:33:07 am »
I managed to move the files same like I did last time. In case you need the program, here is the link. Just boot from it. Use Rufus to create it and it needs to connect to internet to add some files.

https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd/home/Home/

I did the DISM after I moved the files same like last time from Win 8.1 ISO and then ebooted back into it and did the SFC the way you said also from that location and rebooted

The log files are not showing any corrupted files

I am running one more sfc from within windows now just to be sure. Then I will start testing all the problems I had before...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 07:37:30 am »
That's great news - it sounds like you are getting somewhere.

Are the users still acting up or have you also sorted that ?

JohnCoool

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 07:51:15 am »
SFC still running, will test all and update.

During the SFC scan in win 8.1 iso it did not show percentage progress like it does in Windows. Is that normal?

It just said that the operation will take some time and a while later it said completed.

and it time it is completing it says that it found corrupted files and successfully repaired them. That message started after the 1st DISM repair attempt.

Before that it would just say that it found corrupted files and was unable to repair some of them....

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 07:58:05 am »
Yes, when you run that sfc /scannow cmd after booting up with install media, it just runs until completed.

It sounds like it has replaced the corrupted file that you removed.

Generally when the dism cmd has done its job, a sfc /scannow can report that it has repaired all corruption.

JohnCoool

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 08:11:05 am »
2nd SFC scan also passed.

But it still shows that it has found corrupted files and repaired them

I remember before that I saw the message that no corrupted files found. Or do I remember wrong?

I am testing now.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2020, 08:15:50 am »
From within Windows run the dism /online cmd followed by another sfc /scannow

If it reports that it has fixed files again then run SFCFix.exe to see what that reports.

JohnCoool

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2020, 08:40:29 am »
I have 4 profiles on this device and all login normally. But when I create a new one I still can't login. I get that message that the login service service is unable to load profile.

It also still crashes when trying safe mode. I dont want to test clean boot now until we have some of the above working again.

I will try your tip.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2020, 08:46:18 am »
It shouldn't be crashing when you try Safe Mode.

I think it's time to go for a repair install if it's still acting up after those two cmds and SFCFix.exe is unable to resolve.

JohnCoool

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2020, 08:58:47 am »
You do have a point.

The thing is that I have many security programs locking different parts of the system. I disabled them but not sure if they are still affecting the system

I will keep working on the to figure it out then I will update.

I will post SFCfix tool update after it is ready...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2020, 09:02:36 am »
The thing is that to fully isolate 3rd party programs is to boot up into Safe Mode - so that looks like a Catch 22 situation.

I think the only way to eliminate those would be to uninstall them with their uninstallers.

JohnCoool

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2020, 09:11:18 am »
We have reached our goal...

No corrupted files and last user is remembered...

The other issues might be related to security. I will keep on trying to resolve it but I wont be repairing windows.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2020, 09:14:46 am »
Okay, at least that is something but you still need to resolve the Safe Mode problem.

I'll be shoving off shortly for my evening meal as it's about 5:15pm here in the UK.