Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro version 2004 Slow Login Page  (Read 5551 times)

Offline cstocci

• View Profile
Windows 10 Pro version 2004 Slow Login Page
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:17:40 pm »
Hi,

My system boots up fine until I get to the pretty login picture. I can either touch the mouse or hit any key and the little box for my login password always appeared until yesterday. Now I have to wait about 45 to 50 seconds before the system reacts correctly to my request to enter my password.

When I look at the event viewer, I see a number of services being delayed by 45 seconds from starting which was never the issue a few days ago. I have had no Microsoft updates, application updates and no hardware updates over the last week, but this thing started yesterday about 2PM.

This is what happen exactly: I was in one of my VMware Workstation Pro guest machines getting a Microsoft update in that Windows 10 O/S when I noticed I was running late for a GoToMeeting, so I finished the update successfully, shut down the VM O/S successfully and started an older GoToMeeting application to get me into the meeting. When I hit that GoToMeeting "join" button, my whole system (now at my host Windows 10 Pro operation...no VM running) locked up very hard. The mouse cursor moved around, but could not select or activate anything! After a few moments, the system came around enough for me to shut everything down and reboot to get to my meeting. That is when I noticed that everything seemed normal until I went ot login by hitting the <enter> key to start the login process. Nothing happened. the date and time dropped off like it should, but the little password box did not come up, hence there was nothing to log into. I could not even reboot as nothing worked until after 45 seconds, the login box finally showed and I could log into my machine. Everything work perfectly fine after that.

Finally, I uninstalled the GoToMeeting application and did a clean reboot, but the 45 second delay still exists at the login page. If I boot into a Safe Mode., everything works fine and I login very fast. I also use MSCONFIG.EXE and disables all of my non-Windows services and still have the 45 second delay to login, so it is not related to any of my applications. Besides, with no changes and everything workign from before, why would any of my applications make any difference on this login problem.

Has anybody had this kind of delayed login problem? remember, once logged in, everything works perfectly. BTW, this delay login only takes place from a cold startup or restart. You can log out and log into any other user on your machine and the login process is fast. This has something with a driver that loads one-time at either a cold-start or a warm reboot or restart.

Thanks for reading through this as I want to give people the most detail I could.  BTW, I noted that the login screen being in verbose mode indicated that I had to wait (a long time) for the ProfSvc (Profile Service) to load.

Can Tweaking help this issue?

Chris

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Pro version 2004 Slow Login Page
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 03:51:30 am »
As the system works as it should in Safe Mode then it could be your antivirus program hanging onto files as it checks them on boot.

You could disable it and see how the system works then.

If that is the cause then I would suggest uninstalling it using its Uninstaller and then reinstall and again check to see if that has resolved.

AV program problems can be caused by a recent Definitions update and would eventually resolve itself, although sometimes you need to contact the AV program's Customer Service for help or to just let them know so they can sort it.

This can also relate to a corrupt user profile.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:54:22 am by Boggin »

Offline cstocci

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:08 am »
Hi Boggin,

I guess the same questions still might apply.  I did the AV shutdown (Webroot Security) and the issue remains with the slow password login box.  So I did I added a DWORD to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Personalization
NoLockScreen with REG_DWORD set to "1"

This change forces the login screen to immediately present the password entry box without having to touch the mouse or keyboard.  This saves a huge amount of time, but even with that said, you will see the "waiting for ProfSvc" dialog which takes a while, maybe 20 seconds.  Finally, you log into the machine.  I never had to do that in the past (like a few days ago!)

Something tells me I have a corrupted profile.  As a test, I created another user with Administrative permissions.  Doing a basic creation and setup of my new profile called "John Doe," I logged out and logged into the new account.  STILL had to wait about 45 seconds!  Therefore, either it is not the profile that is corrupted or I cannot create a decent profile anymore for some reason.

Is it better to use the Media Creation Tool and reinstall Windows while keeping my applications and settings or give Tweaking Repair a crack at the issue?

Thoughts?

Chris

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:50:13 pm »
Let's see if these two cmds run from a Command Prompt (Admin) will resolve anything first -

sc config ProfSvc start= auto

sc Start ProfSvc

Enter exit to close the cmd window and restart, but you may have to effect a cold boot to test properly.

I don't know if running the Start-up Repair from the advanced boot options will do anything for you, but you could give it a try.

If they don't then before performing a repair install, you could boot up with the install media you have created with the MCT.

When the install media has loaded, navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer/Troubleshoot and select Command Prompt then enter this cmd -

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Then using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter -

dism /image:x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Follow that with this cmd, again using your partition letter instead of the X I have exampled -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the install media and restart to check.

If they don't do it then you will need to perform a repair install.