Author Topic: Missing taskbar icon  (Read 5008 times)

Offline templar

• View Profile
Missing taskbar icon
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:58:51 am »
Hi guys,

I purchased Windows Repair Pro and wanted to know if it can fix missing icon problems.

For some reason unknown to me, recently my Windows Security Centre Icon that appears in the Task bar has disappeared.  When I boot it will appear for half a second, then a vertical white bar will flash in the task bar and then my Security Icon will disappear and I can't get it back.  I don't know what to do short of reinstalling the OS.  Any help appreciated.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Missing taskbar icon
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 03:09:34 pm »
Yes, Repair #12 will repair the icon cache.

However, for Win 10 you can also try this -

Press the Windows key and r to open the Run box then copy & paste or type ie4uinit.exe -show into the run box and press enter.

It may take a reboot to effect if it doesn't reappear straight away, although you have to reboot to effect any repairs carried out by WR.

I have something similar to the batch file in this article saved in my Downloads folder.

https://superuser.com/questions/499078/refresh-icon-cache-without-rebooting

Select Save on the download and then right click on them in the Downloads folder to Run as administrator.

Offline templar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 12:50:12 pm »
Hi Boggin,

Apologies for getting back so late.  I attempted both those methods you mentioned to no avail, but it's okay as I've reinstalled Windows, (something I was planning on doing since my laborious upgrade to 2004), and everything seem to be okay now, but thanks for your help nonetheless.   :smiley:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:23:31 pm »
It did seem unusual that it appeared briefly before vanishing - with a corrupt icon cache I wouldn't have expected that to happen.

It crossed my mind that a repair install may have been required, but glad that you got it sorted.

Offline templar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:29 pm »
Cheers Boggin!👍