Author Topic: Increase saturation color on Toshiba Laptop  (Read 10628 times)

JohnCoool

Increase saturation color on Toshiba Laptop
« on: September 20, 2020, 06:46:54 am »
I want to increase the colors on the screen of the laptop but no option for it.

I tried some 3rd party utilities but none of them would should the saturation option.

I tried to change the other settings around but could not get the desired results.

The Laptop is Toshiba Satellite Pro C660 from 2011 running Windows 7.

The attached image is the current default control panel for the installed Graphics card. I tried to update it but did not manage to do so.

It has the latest monitor and Graphics card driver installed.

Are there free tools to do so?

Is there another way to force an update to the existing utility?

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 07:54:10 am by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Increase saturation color on Toshiba Laptop
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 08:56:55 am »
I'm also using a Toshiba C660 - mine is a -28R model and has integral Intel graphics and upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.

Comparing yours to mine, I can only assume that is the limitations of your settings as mine does have a Saturation change of setting.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:59:47 am by Boggin »

JohnCoool

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 09:13:12 am »
That is fine.

So is there a way to get mine to include Saturation as well?

Is there a free 3rd party utility that can do that? or should I just forget about it?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 09:19:24 am »
I don't know if it would be worth contacting Intel or not.

I don't even know the exact model of graphics card other than Intel HD Graphics as in Device Manager.

Not sure if quoting the driver update version would help, but I don't think you'd get any help from Toshiba once the machine is a legacy model and no longer supported.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 09:32:35 am »
How long is it since you updated the graphics driver, as you may be able to roll back to see if that gives a different control panel.

JohnCoool

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 11:16:48 am »
I updated it this year after the Windows installation because it does not have that feature. But the driver is old from 2010 and also does not have the feature.

The model # is: Satellite Pro C660-10J   PSCOPE

Do you know any 3rd party utilities that I can try out.

The drivers from Toshiba website is attached and the driver details as well.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 02:16:02 pm »
I bought this C660-28R around Nov. 2011 and it has a 6 Series Chipset.

My graphics driver is dated 19/05/2016 so there was a newer one for me as that was around the time I updated to Win 10.

I have Googled to see if there's an alternative way to alter the Saturation setting but from what I've found, if it doesn't have that option in the Control Panel then it's a non-starter.

Have you considered updating to Win 10 and that way you should get a newer graphics driver as I did, although I don't know if that would give you an enhanced Control Panel.

A little while ago a member mentioned that you could still update free using the May 2020 update option although I don't know if that still works.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

I'd create a system image onto external media and a System Repair disk before trying it though.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:28:34 pm by Boggin »

JohnCoool

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 03:58:01 am »
Sounds like a good idea even if does not solve the issue because Windows 7 is good but very old and does not have support anymore. I did check a while ago if it can still be done but it is clearly mentioned on the Microsoft website that it cannot be done.

So I did a search around the internet and many people are doing it successfully which is strange.

One of the laptops for the other members of the family did it while I was away on their laptop but the HDD crashed last year(I replaced the crashed drive from another one that was on another laptop that was damaged but the HDD was still ok). I managed to copy the restore partition and I restored it back to Windows 7. So I will try to upgrade it again to Windows 7 since it does not have anything important on it and if they approve the upgrade.

If all goes well then I will consider it for mine and will update if it solves the issue.

I increased the RAM on it to 6GB and replaced the HDD since it crashed with a faster one - SSHD. But the CPU cannot keep up with multi-tasking. It cannot even run Opera GX Browser. The CPU is Core Duo 2.2 GHz. Of course this is not my main PC. It is just the backup one.

I bought the laptop when I was working at Toshiba in Cyprus. They just cut 50 Euros from my salary each month. It cost 280 Euros without Windows. Since it did not have windows and we had recovery discs of all the other models that come with Windows. I used a similar model recovery on it as per the recommendation of the supervisor. After I made sure everything was working well, I created recovery discs from Windows.

There is an older laptop running Windows Vista. I think it has 1GB of RAM. That one needs an upgrade as most programs don't work on it like updating Chrome. It does not do that anymore because the Windows does not have support on it. Same thing Will happen to Windows 7 soon.

How is the performance of your laptop after the upgrade? Does it need a lot of resources? Is it stable?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:39:35 am by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 04:13:21 am »
I have two Win 7 laptops that I've upgraded to Win 10 - I've kept an older Toshiba on Win 7.

This one is a Toshiba C660-28R which has an Intel Celeron dual core B800 1.5GHz CPU which works well with Win 10.

The other one is a Toshiba C660-1GD which has an AMD dual core 1.3GHz CPU which seems a little bit slower at times, but from your specs, I don't think you will have any problems if you can get the free upgrade.

All three machines have 8GB RAM installed.

However, Toshiba told me that neither of the two C660s were compatible for Win 10 - not sure if they were hoping I'd buy a new machine :)

JohnCoool

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2020, 07:39:13 am »
I got the approval to upgrade the family laptop. If all goes well then I will try it on mine.

What is the best way to choose the version of Windows 10. There are many and I don't think that just any one of them can be activated for free.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 08:25:45 am »
You will auto get the version that matches your version of Win 7.

Mine are Win 7 Home Premium so I got Win 10 Home

This article has some tips on getting Win 10 for free - https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 02:13:09 pm »
If you are prompted for a product key, you can use the one on your COA sticker or try the option "I don't have one" where it may digitally activate.

If you opt to use your COA sticker key, then change your Win 7 product key before upgrading by pressing the Windows and r keys together then in the Run box type Slui 3 and press enter.

You will then be presented with the boxes to enter the 25 alphanumeric key.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 02:19:10 pm by Boggin »

JohnCoool

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2020, 04:42:38 am »
Thanks for the tips.

I will be trying the upgrade today and updating with the results.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2020, 04:43:58 am »
Okay.

JohnCoool

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2020, 04:35:42 pm »
The upgrade went very smoothly.

It it not ask for product key. It is showing Windows as activated.

It completed Windows updates as well.

I will try it on my system soon and will update the results about the Intel tool for the Graphics card.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 02:54:53 am »
That's great news as it confirms you can still get Win 10 free.

One feature of Win 10 is the right click on the taskbar Windows icon which gives you easy access to a number of utilities

If the new graphics driver hasn't enhanced your settings to include Saturation, I'm not sure if when you open Control Panel and select Colour Management whether changing any of those settings will give you what you want.

To access Control Panel click on the search box where can then select it from the pane that opens.

JohnCoool

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 04:49:40 pm »
I might not be able to do the upgrade.

The 1st time it got stuck on one of the pre installation tasks. Before it started the installation.

Then I rebooted and logged into the Administrator account and tried again so that it works better.

I got the message that it is unable to determine if the machine can run Windows 10 and to try again. I tired this 2 times.

Each time it re-downloads Windows 10. So it takes time to see the results.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 05:09:56 pm by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 01:22:08 am »
Unfortunately the software to determine if a machine can run Win 10 is no longer available.

Can you disable your antivirus program before you try again - they can sometimes be over protective.

JohnCoool

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 03:41:20 am »
I actually uninstalled the Antivirus before I attempted the upgrade to avoid such problems.

There are tips online around this issue. I will see if any of them work.

The other Laptop that I upgraded is running on Icore 5 and My Toshiba is on Core Duo. Maybe this could have caused the issue because as I mentioned before that it can barely run Opera GX browser.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 05:06:50 am »
Usually if a machine can run Win 7 okay then it can run Win 10 as long as you have a min of 32GB free space to install Win 10.

My two Toshiba C660 are both low spec and they run Win 10 okay.

This one - a C660-28R has an Intel Celeron B800 Dual Core 1.5GHz CPU with integral graphics with 8GB RAM installed.

I don't know that Browser as I just use IE.

JohnCoool

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 05:10:09 am »
I did another reboot and a new attempt and this time I got another message.

We can't tell if your PC has enough space to continue installing Windows 10. Try restarting setup

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 05:54:31 am »
I think this usually relates to the Recovery Partition.

You could try installing Win 10 as a repair install after creating Win 10 install media.

You can do this from the link where you are downloading the MCT from.

When you have created the install media and with it inserted, go Start - Computer and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

JohnCoool

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 06:51:54 am »
It seems the 2nd problem was caused because I had a USB flash drive attached to the system.

I removed it and got the 1st error again.

I will try your tip. The media creator has an option to create Windows 10 on a USB drive. So I will use that and try it.

JohnCoool

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 08:51:24 am »
I got same error message when trying to run from USB about space. So I will create a DVD and try again.

JohnCoool

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2020, 10:33:07 am »
Running it from the downloaded ISO for DVD gave the same error.

How do I start the repair install?

Do I have to boot into it? I am guessing I have to boot into it?

I am trying it now while you send an update...