Author Topic: Been running for 48 hours and no end in sight ... help!  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
Been running for 48 hours and no end in sight ... help!
« on: September 04, 2020, 03:34:52 pm »
Hi,

Two or three years ago I ran Tweaking,com on an XP computer and got good results.  It ran a few hours, four or five maybe.  Now I'm trying to fix  problems on a Windows 10 computer.  As I write this, Tweaking.com has been running 48 hours.  I'm concerned something is wrong.

It's running in Safe Mode.  I did a power down as instructed.  Then booted Tweaking.com.

It ran through the first few repairs in minutes or less, but seems stuck on repair 8/42.  As I'm sure you know, there's a warning screen instruction to be patient and that stopping it can cause problems.  I take that to mean screw up the computer.  I assume that means the registry could be corrupted.  It also says, 'Registering 132 files.'

The Tweaking screen shows CPU Usage changing once a second.  It reports CPU usage varying between about 0.1% and 1.5%  Mostly around 0.3%.  I haven't seen any Drive Read: bytes reported.  But Drive Write Bytes reports brief writes as large as about 14 bytes every minute or two.   Memory Used had been running at a constant 1.08 gig until (maybe) just a few minutes ago when it ticked up to 1.11 gig.

How much trouble am I in?  Is it stuck?  Will it ever finish?  Is there anything I can do?
I'm prepared to be patient, but this is so far beyond what I expected.  I'm occasionally subjected to brief power outages.  I have a surge protector/backup battery, but it didn't seem to keep the computer running during the last couple outages.  So that's got me worried too.

My computer:
Windows 10 OS (1909) 10.0.18363.1016
HP Compaq Elite 82 SFF  (purchased factory reconditioned in 2018)
Intel Core i7-2600
64 bit
4 gig ram
C: solid state Samsung.  I forget the size. 
F: conventional mechanical hard drive 2 TB Hitachi
  My programs/applications are on C:
  My data files are on F:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Been running for 48 hours and no end in sight ... help!
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 01:38:05 am »
It's quite possible that your older version of Win 10 may be the problem, although the repair program is supposed to be backwards compatible.

The latest Win 10 version is 2004 - up from 1909.

Can you perform a manual check for updates to see if any are waiting to download/install.

However, did you run a chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow prior to running the repair program ?

You can stop the repair program, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter these cmds and then try the program again, but these cmds can usually resolve most Win 10 problems.

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

Enter exit to close the cmd window.

If there are any problems with the sfc /scannow then perform a chkdsk /f

If you have to run that, let me know and I'll describe how to view the chkdsk log.

Let me know how you get on.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:44:51 am by Boggin »

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:43:27 am »
Thanks for getting back to me.

I ran into the same problem again, though the remaining 42 jobs completed.

I found a Windows update that hadn't been  installed automatically.  I manually updated.  I now have
Windows 10 Home (2004) 10.0.19041.450

Hadn't run checkdsk /f or sfc /scannow prior. didn't see instructions that was necessary or recommended.  But ran them after your advice. no errors.

Then ran dism /clearup-image /startcomponentcleanup
        and dism /online /clean-image /restore
  and then sfc/scannow

no errors reported.

ran chkdsk /f again.  no errors.

Did another full power down and reboot in safe mode.

booted Tweaking.com.  And I had the same problem at Job 8/42 MDAC/MS Jet.
It ran over night (12 hours) with the CPU usage running 0.1% to 0.3%.

This morning I terminated job 8/24 and Tweaking.com completed the remaining 42 jobs and then rebooted.

What do you think?  Did  the remaining repair jobs work as designed?  Am I missing something important because the 132 didn't register?

Thanks.

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 09:48:14 am »
And for what it's worth, Windows gave me messages that it reset default apps to Microsoft  default programs.

Easily fixed, of course.  Just mention it in case it means something in your analysis.

Thanks.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 03:17:29 pm »
And for what it's worth, Windows gave me messages that it reset default apps to Microsoft  default programs.

Easily fixed, of course.  Just mention it in case it means something in your analysis.

Thanks.

I normally get about 14 instances of apps being reset when I test run the repair program but I always create a system image first to restore with.

The chkdsk and sfc /scannow are Steps 3 and 4 on the main UI but as you are using a SSD then you would only use the /f parameter and not the /r one because your drive doesn't have any moving parts to wear out.

The MDAC/MS Jet repair relates to DLL files which would suggest one or more are missing/corrupt, but as the dism /restorehealth and sfc /scannow came back clean, I'm not sure what it relates to.

You can run the repair program with just selective repairs and they will complete.

As the program is sticking on that repair, I think I'd go for a repair install which doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs.

If you don't have Win 10 install media you can create either a bootable DVD or USB after reading https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

When you've done that, open Windows/File Explorer - This PC - insert the install media and double click on its drive.

This will start the process when using a DVD but will open to its files when using an USB where you would then double click on setup Application.

This takes 3 - 4hrs on my Win 10

You haven't said why you originally ran the repair program, but as long as it isn't 3rd party installed program related, then the repair install should fix any errors.

There's an alternative you could try prior to running the repair program again and that is to boot up with the install media by tapping F12 as you switch on then use the cursor keys to select the media you are using insert the DVD and press enter.

If you are using an USB, I've found it best to insert that before tapping F12 and switching on.

If using a DVD you will be prompted to press any key to boot from a CD/DVD and then you will be presented with an inverse window with Windows Setup [EMS Enabled] highlighted - just press enter.

You don't get that when using an USB.

When it has loaded, navigate to the Install screen and click on Repair your computer - Troubleshoot and select Command Prompt.

At the prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

For clarity that is a Pipe symbol before find and is the uppercase of \

Then using your partition letter instead of the x I have exampled, enter -

dism /image:x:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Follow that with this cmd, again using your partition letter instead of the X I have exampled -

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\Windows

Enter exit to close the cmd window, remove the install media and reboot.

If the repair program still sticks on that repair then I'd go for the repair install.

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 12:30:39 pm »
Tom,

thanks for your detailed reply.  I wanted to assess how my desktop was doing for a few days.

I originally ran tweaking.com because of a number of problems I had on a number of applications.  My email (Opera Mail) couldn't remember I'd approved a Hotmail..com's security certificate.  And I both Opera and OpenOffice Writer paused for seconds when scrolling or sometimes when entering keystroke commands.  Tweaking.com seemed to fix those problems, but not other problems in other applications.  Windows sometimes froze while playing a video.

Sadly, delays and hesitations are returning as is the freezing during videos. 

And  last night a new problem has popped up.  I run Advanced System Care.  It tells me my memory usage quickly creeps up to 95% and higher.  When it hits 100% it shows 100% disk usage and freezes. 

Does this sound like a problem Tweaking.com could address?  Or should I skip to the repair install?

Several  months ago I created a both DVD and a USB to run the repair install.  I had Windows 10 version 1804 (or whatever the correct number was).  I wasn't able to get the repair install to run, (I'm pretty sure) because I didn't understand how to make the DVD or USB bootable.  Tinkering with the innards of Windows makes me nervous, but that's looking more and more necessary. 

If I go that way, do I need to download  an updated  repair install ISO again or can I use the one I have?

Thanks.

Edd

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 12:33:53 pm »
Also,
will the repair install  delete my applications?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 03:32:46 pm »
A repair install doesn't affect personal stuff or installed programs, so if there is something wrong with a program, it won't fix it.

However, I would advise creating newer install media after reading - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The default is to auto create a bootable USB.

If using an USB, I find it's best to insert that before downloading the MCT.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking, download and run a scan with the ESET Free Online Scanner to ensure your machine isn't infected.

https://www.eset.com/uk/home/online-scanner/

If that comes back clean then I would look to your Start-up items.

Right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager then under Start-up click on each item then on Disable.

Click on File/Exit then reboot to see if that improves your CPU and Memory usage.

I just have two Realtek Audio items enabled in mine.

Task Manager will also show the CPU and Memory usage and if you click on CPU it will sort to the highest user first.

I'm not a fan of Advanced System Care although I used to have it installed.

I guess I got sick of the pop up warnings relating to a build up of Temp files which are normal as the machine is used.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 03:39:51 pm by Boggin »

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 01:14:13 pm »
Thanks for your excellent advice.

I ran the esat scan.  It found 5 dozen items.  (I feel like I just got caught dating nasty girls without a condom.)  Esat really hates utorrent and Advanced System Care setup files.  Most of the items were in their update files.  But it must have found something real, because the amount of my memory usage has dropped.

I've depended on Avast Antivirus since the first day I booted this computer, but It </sarcasm on> seems to do a great job of  everything but catching viruses. 

However, the scan didn't solve my escalating memory problem.  The Task Manager didn't reveal any unexpected programs, but it did show my Avast Service was running continuously.  Uninstalling/Re-installing fixed the problem.  Which is great, because rebooting every 5 minutes really hampers getting work done.

Will do the  Repair install in a few days when I've completed my current project. 

Thanks

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 02:55:11 pm »
Shane isn't keen on Avast for some reason or other, although he's never explained why.

This article lists 5 free AV programs you may want to consider trying - https://www.safetydetectives.com/blog/best-really-free-antivirus-for-windows/#

However, no AV program is 100% effective, even the paid for ones, but they seem to do a better job.

Glad your memory usage is now back to normal - infections are the first thing to consider when Memory/CPU usage increases to the point of slowing a machine, although as you have found, it can also be because of an installed program.

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2020, 04:25:21 pm »
The SafetyDectectives article said Avast was their #1 best rated anti-virus....except for one thing.

Until they were caught, they engaged in a 7 year history of recording keystrokes to sell browsing habits and personal data to Google, Pepsi, Home Depot, et al.

SafetyDetectives rates Avira and their sister company AVG untrustworthy.

Offline Eldritch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 05:31:50 pm »
Opps.

That should be "Avast and it's sister company AVG."

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2020, 03:07:22 am »
It sounds like it's time to try another AV program.