Author Topic: Windows 10 boot up tips are required - Solved  (Read 6042 times)

JohnCoool

Windows 10 boot up tips are required - Solved
« on: October 19, 2020, 09:14:02 am »
I noticed different results while booting up 3 different Windows 10 systems.

One is the normal one. The other one is when the system starts loading the startup programs after boot-up but before login. One is when the system boots up and opens the same programs that where still open before the restart was triggered.

I would like to know the settings for each one to know it for future configuration. Not able to find much info on the specifics of this on the internet.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:03:06 pm by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 boot up tips are required
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:48:04 am »
I have my msconfig set to minimal items but my secondary Win 10 laptop has always taken longer to boot up than the primary laptop.

You could try turning off Hibernate to see if stops the same programs starting.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter powercfg -h off then shutdown /r /t 00 to effect an immediate restart.

Win 10 has a fast startup utility which incorporates Hibernation but turning off Hibernation disables the fast satartup.

To turn Hibernation back on, enter on instead of off in the cmd.

JohnCoool

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 10:48:21 am »
My laptop boots up normally.

The laptop which loads the same programs after reboot is my Uncle's and I rarely see it but just wanted to know if it is some sort of feature.

However, I noticed on the other laptop that I upgraded for the family that it I used to load programs before reboot but lately it stopped that. I want to get it back to loading the programs before the login.

So I will check if the fast boot up is still enabled.

JohnCoool

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 04:03:22 am »
I found the answer to one of them while searching on the PC. I attached an image for that one.

I found information that other one might be related to Fast startup but it seems that Fast Startup does not work well on Legacy support motherboards.

I am not sure about this and will keep on looking for a better answer.

I want to set up the other Laptop for the family to load the desktop before login. It did the 1st few times then it went back to normal boot. Maybe it was a setting that I changed or maybe it was the issue with Fast Startup on Legacy support motherboards.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 04:23:32 am »
I'd come across in the earlier Win 10 days where a number of people had turned off fast startup because of problems.

My laptops date from 2011 and also use the Legacy BIOS.

JohnCoool

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 08:47:16 am »
According to some forum threads found on the internet. There are two settings for this but it did not always work for them.

I did it on the two upgraded laptops here (mine and the family one). It did not work on mine but it has worked on theirs.

There is a third laptop that was upgraded a few years ago from Windows 8 to Windows 10. But an earlier version to what is being upgraded to now and it has the fast startup option but does not have the 2nd one that is in the attachment and it did not work on it and it is on UEFI mode BIOS.

I worked on mine right after the upgrade for a dew days. So still not sure if there is something missing or if it legacy mode as mentioned earlier.

The two settings are:

Fast startup turned on.

The 2nd one is the same as the attached image.

I have been unable to find Microsoft documents on the subject.

Is it possible to try and check if you can find any on "Load desktop before login" from Microsoft just to confirm all the requirements so that I can test them.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 09:01:36 am »
You could try the steps in this article, although it seems a bit dated - https://lifehacker.com/make-windows-load-your-desktop-before-you-log-in-5645098

Create a restore though before making any changes.

JohnCoool

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 09:22:33 am »
I did come across that solution. I wanted to see if the Windows 10 way would work without 3rd party tools or solutions.

Seems hopeless...

JohnCoool

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 12:01:32 pm »
According to the below link. It is only suppose to work after a required reboot after an update. So maybe that is where I noticed it before.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49963-use-sign-info-auto-finish-after-update-restart-windows-10-a.html

So not sure why it is working every time on the other laptop.

Anyway I needed to work on the other one and it is done...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 boot up tips are required - Solved
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 01:33:40 pm »
So does that mean it's sorted ?

JohnCoool

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 04:48:42 pm »
I did a test and uninstalled an updated and reinstalled to see if it would do it and it does Load desktop before login after restarting it.

So that is when I saw it working. But not sure why it does it every time on the other laptop. Seems like a glitch but I require it to work that way.

Yes it is done. Marked as closed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 04:50:20 pm by JohnCoool »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 02:03:05 am »
Okay.

What did you uninstall/reinstall ?

JohnCoool

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 04:03:13 am »
I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest update for Windows 10 released last week for me. It is (KB4579311)

I found a difference between the two laptops. Mine has more than one user and the other has only one and maybe that is why it is preloading the desktop before login. So I am disabling the others for testing and see if I can get the same result.

Will update after testing...

I want to clarify that on the above test. What I meant is that it works only for updates and not each time... This test will reveal if it works each time.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 05:21:35 am by JohnCoool »

JohnCoool

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 06:26:28 am »
The last test has failed. I have home edition and Administrator account is disabled. The only way to disable it is from CMD as it does not have local users and groups like it does in Pro edition.

So when I disable it from CMD it stays on the logon screen just does not allow me to login. It gives error for wrong password but works normally once I enable it again.

So the test could also be inconclusive.

Anyway I do not require it on mine and still working on the other one. So I am done with it.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 08:16:56 am »
Okay - I'll leave that with you.

JohnCoool

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 08:57:17 am »
I came across the reason it was not working on mine without by fluke. I found it without searching for it.

Now the Windows 10 that I am using also loads desktop before login after restart. It also ignores other users on the Laptop and will need to log off to access them. So this solution is not for everyone.

It is the restart option. I was restarting it from a third party application called classic shell. However. Restarting directly from the Windows 10 start menu will do the trick.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 02:14:08 pm »
I had read about classic shell when it first came out as to make Win 10 a bit more like Win 7, although this article doesn't seem familiar.

http://www.classicshell.net/

I've moved on from Win 7 and take Win 10 as it comes, but glad you've found the solution.

JohnCoool

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 06:08:06 am »
To complete the same from Command line.

Restart:

Shutdown /g

On boot after a shutdown:

Shutdown /sg