Author Topic: After using Tweaking.Com I can no longer open new folders.  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Quiller

• View Profile
After using Tweaking.Com I can no longer open new folders.
« on: December 08, 2020, 05:58:43 pm »
The other day I used the tweaking.com windows repair app just for a tune-up, but after the repairs completed, I was no longer able to click "New Folder" in the save dialog box, that is, clicking does not produce a new folder. Also the "New" option has disappeared from the the list of options when I right click on the desktop. I have tried a couple of solutions mentioned on line without success. Since it seems that the problem occurred after using your app, I was hoping you would know how to fix this.  :cry:

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: After using Tweaking.Com I can no longer open new folders.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 07:22:26 am »
The Windows Repair program isn't a tune up program but a Windows repair program.

I've never heard of this problem before - which version of Windows are you using ?

Do you have any restore points that will take you back to before you ran WR ?

Offline Quiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 03:32:30 pm »
I realize the Windows Repair Program isn't a tune-up, but I use it every so often to see if there are any problems. I am running Windows 10, Version 20H2, Build 19042.685.

Nope, there are no restore points that would help.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Quiller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 03:59:16 pm »
Hold the phone! I found a script on this page:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/97de8a2a-12f2-4381-a409-a78f4ae551cf/cannot-create-new-folder-in-windows-7?forum=w7itprogenera

which fixed the problem. Whatever the cause was, the issue is resolved. Many thanks for those who tried to help

Quiller

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 02:37:03 am »
Glad to see that you had found a fix for this.

I too had found registry changes to fix this but as you had said you had tried a couple of fixes without success, then I wasn't sure if posting links to those would help.

That Win 7 fix is a lot more involved than the ones I came across.

As so far you are the only one to report this issue, then it may have been because of something you have installed.

I haven't test run the latest version of WR on my 20H2 but will see if it causes any problems for me and get back to you on that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 02:48:08 pm »
I finally got around to running WR 4.10.2 on my secondary 20H2 machine and there were no problems afterwards.

I was still able to select New/Folder etc. on right clicking on the desktop, so don't know what caused your problem.

BTW - I always create a system image before test running the program should it have untoward effects on the machine.