Author Topic: Internet Connection Drops After A Few Hours Until Reboot (SOLVED)  (Read 10397 times)

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
Hello,

My Internet connection drops after a few hours and I have to restart to regain internet access. I am running Windows 7 SP1 64-Bit. I can access my router and local network fine but not the internet. I have my FIOS ONT box connected to my DD-WRT router, which is connected to a ethernet hub which connects all my devices to the internet (I strongly prefer to use wired connections wherever possible). As far as I can tell, it's just my desktop computer that disconnects. I have tried everything I can think of to resolve the issue, such as running various commands like ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew, changing various settings on my router, running the NetAdapterRepair tool, and I even changed my security software from Bitdefender to Kaspersky, thinking that would solve it. Nothing I have tried works so far. The built in Windows troubleshooter doesn't help because Windows thinks I'm still connected. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this dilemma? I have literally been losing sleep over this.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 10:22:47 am by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Connection Drops After A Few Hours Until Reboot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 09:26:48 am »
You could try going into Device Manager - click on View/Show hidden devices and expand Network adapters.

Right click on the Ethernet one and select Properties.

Under Power Management uncheck the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power - OK

Under Advanced scroll down the dropdown and click on Wake on magic packet then change the value to Disabled - OK and close Device Manager.

If Internet works okay otherwise then I think the winsock and TCP/IP stack should be okay, but as a belt and braces, run a Command Prompt as an administrator and enter these cmds -

netsh reset winsock catalog

netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

The last one will effect an immediate reboot to effect the cmds.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 09:34:43 am »
I've already tried all the above, and I still have the issue. 2-3 hours after booting my computer, without fail, my internet will cut out, and I will have to reboot to restore full connectivity. I'll try the commands again, however, I'm not too hopeful.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 01:43:29 pm »
I tried running the above commands again, and I'm still having the same issue. I even uninstalled some software that I thought might be causing the issue. That didn't help. I'm typing this on my phone as my computer currently does not have internet. I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I don't want to have to restart my computer every 2-3 hours.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 01:54:04 pm »
There's a couple of other things you could try.

In Device Manager scroll down that pane again until you see Receive side scaling.

Click on that and change the value to Disabled - OK

Right click on your WiFi icon or go into Control Panel and select Network and Sharing Centre - right click on the Ethernet adapter and select Properties and uncheck the box for TCP/IPv6 - OK and then see how the machine performs.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 03:09:25 pm »
Tried that as well. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 03:12:37 pm »
Not really, other than changing the Ethernet cable.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 04:19:57 pm »
Ok. Thanks for your help so far.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 09:35:44 pm »
Upon further investigation, it appears that my router isn't renewing the lease for my desktop, even though I set a static IP for my desktop on my router with lease set to never expire. I removed the static IP for my desktop from my router's settings. Assuming that won't work, does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this?

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 03:30:25 am »
This won't be easy; there are a lot of possibilities. I would look at my router first. Is a firmware update for your router? Is your router failing? Is this a known issue and they have an updated router availalbe.

Otherwise, browse this topic:
https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/DHCP-lease-not-renewing-properly/td-p/516327
Tweaking.Com Support and Moderator

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 03:52:06 am »
On re-reading the opening post, Ethernet goes through a number of devices and while the computer needs to "talk" to the router, I was wondering if connecting the Ethernet directly to the router would eliminate a breakdown in the other devices.

Does the Internet still drop in Safe Mode with Networking ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 04:00:53 am by Boggin »

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 05:31:09 am »
@Tim_Tewaking: I don't use Verizon's router. I have my own, as I need to be able to set static IP addresses and forward ports, in addition to other advanced networking tasks that just wouldn't be possible with a Verizon provided router. I just updated the firmware (DD-WRT) 2 days ago, which didn't help fix this issue.

@Boggin: I have 8 devices connected via Ethernet and the router only has 4 LAN ports. I strongly prefer to use wired connections whenever possible, so I really don't have another option.

Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate all the suggestions so far.

Offline Tim_Tweaking

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 05:36:12 am »
I didn't take it wrong in any way. We're just scratching our heads with you.
Tweaking.Com Support and Moderator

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 05:41:10 am »
I was thinking just temporarily connecting the affected computer directly to the router to see if it maintains a connection.

Have you tried that machine in Safe Mode with Networking ?

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 05:52:17 am »
I actually removed the static IP for the desktop from the router and rebooted the desktop. I left it on the login screen and went to bed. I wake up this morning and to my surprise it maintained an active internet connection all night. So, at this point, it's either 1 of 2 things: the static IP was somehow expiring and not being renewed properly (even though I specified in the router settings that it would never expire), or some software installed on my desktop is conflicting with or blocking the internet connection after a while. If my internet drops out again, then it's the latter scenario. I'll let you know, however, I would appreciate any tips or advice on how to pinpoint the software causing the issue if it comes to that.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 05:56:01 am »
Safe Mode with Networking will isolate all 3rd party programs from running in the background and if the machine maintains a connection in that mode then you will need to perform a clean boot to find which program it is in your start up menu.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 06:06:22 am »
Ok. Thanks. I'll try that if I lose internet again. Since it takes around 2 hours after booting my computer for my internet connection to go out, should I just let my computer sit idle in safe mode to see if it loses internet before trying to pinpoint the exact software product(s) causing the issue?

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 06:15:30 am »
You can still use your computer in that mode but it will be using the onboard graphics and you would lose audio.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 06:27:41 am »
Ok. Thanks.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 06:17:12 pm »
I spent the entire day troubleshooting this issue, just as I have been doing for about the past week. It occurred to me I failed to mention what was probably a vital part of the way I have my internet connected, which is I had my ONT connected to my router via powerline adapters (it wasn't a direct connection), which I suspected for a while was at least part of the issue, but didn't initially want to admit or change it. My ONT is in a closet and my router is in the living room. So, I finally gave in and removed the powerline adapters and connected my ONT directly to my router via a 25 ft CAT6 cable that I had lying around. After all that, I was still having the issue, so I did some more investigating, and come to find out, I'm experiencing what is a well known issue with Verizon FIOS, especially for those who opt to use their own router, which I did. The issue is that the lease between the ONT and the router is not renewed properly. A common solution is to powercycle the ONT, then powercycle the router, however, since I opted in to receiving the battery backup, I have the additional step of removing/unplugging the battery backup before powercycling the ONT. This is too much to do every 2 hours for the foreseeable future, so needless to say, I will be calling Verizon tomorrow.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:18 am »
Glad to see you may have found the cause.

I assume you will be asking for one of their routers.

We have a much simpler system in the UK.

For the most part we get our broadband through the phone line from the nearest exchange street cabinet, although there are some companies that use a coax connection in the home.

For Fibre connections it's much cheaper to use the ISP's supplied router although I had my own while I was on ADSL prior to changing to Fibre.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2021, 01:57:05 pm »
Unfortunately, here in the US, the ISP supplied routers are pretty heavily locked down, and I need to be able to tweak settings that just wouldn't be possible with an ISP supplied router, so asking for one of their routers just isn't an option. A technician is scheduled to come out to install some wall jacks and look at my equipment in a little over a week (that's unfortunately the earliest I could get an appointment).  I'm still not completely convinced that the aforementioned FIOS issue is the only issue at play, as my WiFi never went out, it was only the connections on my desktop, so I'm hoping that by the time the technician does arrive, I will have solved whatever else is causing issues with my connection, if there are any other issues.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:58:37 pm by DanTheTechMan »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2021, 03:04:39 pm »
Did you check to see if the connection remains stable or not in Safe Mode with Networking.

If it still drops out then it won't be because of any programs you have installed.

Offline DanTheTechMan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 05:45:10 pm »
Yes. I just checked. It doesn't drop in safe mode. While in safe mode, I did some more investigating. I disabled some components of my security suite that may be interfering with my internet connection. I will report back with the results.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 02:32:11 am »
If that doesn't do it then go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under Start-up click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart and check again.

If that resolves then you will need to enable one item at a time until you find the one that is causing the problem - Apply - OK - Restart.

If it still drops with those disabled, then go back into msconfig and click on Services.

Check the box to Hide all Microsoft services - Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart.

If that resolves then enable 2 or 3 items at a time until the problem returns then it will be a process of elimination of the last group you had enabled.

When you uncheck the box for your antivirus program in Services, you may find that it reinstates itself when you click on Apply.

Remember to check the box to Hide all Microsoft services each time you go into msconfig/Services.

Given that you have to wait about 2hrs to check, this will be a long process, but hopefully worthwhile.