Author Topic: Problem in all versions post v 4.9 on W7  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
Problem in all versions post v 4.9 on W7
« on: January 15, 2021, 12:35:35 AM »
Hi,
Been meaning to advise/address this issue for some time. I noticed on v 4.10.0.1 the program kept creating an error and dump file in ProgramData which is somewhat unusual in and of itself and generally suggests a global issue.
Anyway, through some investigating, I was able to see the error is aimed squarely at the W7 permission profile file (attached). In the later versions, it is unable to be decompressed, causing the error. It is also only 32 bytes in size, so basically nothing. Version 4.9.0.0. and previous have the file size at around 7.17 KB or 8.00 KB on disk (larger for later O.S.'s of course). So, it seems there is something to decompress and therefore works without error.
I have checked the latest version 4.10.0.3 via the portable program (I haven't found any difference between the installed and portable versions) and it too has the W7 profile file at only 32 bytes.
Please let me know what you think.
Cheers.
[/color]

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem in all versions post v 4.9 on W7
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:00:18 AM »
I'll pass this onto Shane.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 06:33:24 AM »
Hi Tom,
Just wondering as to any feedback?
Also, I thought I'd put up some color preferences I use, in case anyone else might like them. There's not a lot to them or 'it', with some minor changes, but I like it.
Shane had written no Unicode, only ANSI, but I'm unsure if he was referring to the file names or the .ini. files themselves.
I just name them 'My Preferences' with a corresponding date. Obviously, anyone using them or variations thereof, can call them what they like.
Having a brighter white rather than the grey/white available would look better imo, but we use what we have.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:32:22 PM by Seaker »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 03:02:05 PM »
I haven't had any feedback yet.

If Shane is satisfied with the way he has the program then he may just ignore your suggestions.

I could send him another email, but not sure if it would receive the same attention as my previous one.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »
OK. It wasn't meant as a suggestion however. More as a possible reason for the error/dump files being created on all versions after 4.9 as posted.
Given the profile file is so small in comparison to earlier versions (32 bytes vs. 7-8 KB) which don't have the same issue, is it not worth checking?
It would seem reasonable to assert many more people would be inclined to buy the paid versions if they were assured the programs were running without incident or otherwise advised of the programs' correct functionality.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:34:07 PM by Seaker »

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 11:24:50 PM »
Just an update. The latest version (4.11.0) resulted in the identical issues as originally posted i.e. ACL_64 dump file, error in log referring to the W7 permission profile file and the same 32 byte size of the profile file. The size of the profile files in later O.S.'s are much larger as is the W7 file in v 4.9 and earlier. Again, returning to v 4.9 raises no such issues.

I have used W10 and reverted back to W7 until such time as it is a viable option.
Perhaps there is no longer any interest in W7. If that is the case, perhaps it should be removed as a repairable O.S.

Cheers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 08:29:55 AM »
I've passed your observations onto Shane so there is nothing more I can do.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 07:25:06 AM »
Finally managing to find time to reply.

That's understandable Tom, it is up to Shane in the end. I do remember reading in previous posts however, that you were using W7 on a couple of systems, though that may be inaccurate or no longer the case. If it is accurate, it would be interesting to see if you have noted the same observations and what if any effect you may have encountered.

Nonetheless, I've attached the profile files with corresponding sizes from the latest Windows Repair v 4.11.1. They are as follows:

W7 (32 bytes)
W8 (10,532 bytes)
W8.1 (45,642 bytes)
W10 (58,905 bytes).

Cheers.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
I'm unable to view those 7z files as I no longer have 7z installed - I only had the trial version which is now expired.

I tend to only use free programs other than my antivirus program.

I still have a Win 7 machine but I don't delve into its innards on the very rare occasions I use it and trial run WR on it.

I never noticed anything untoward on it after running WR.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
Just a word of caution when using WR v4.11.2

There is a problem with the registry backup option in that it can produce The ProSvc service failed to log in after the reboot when selecting Restore now.

The program still doesn't physically create a restore point even though it reports that it has.

I would advise to leave the Registry Backup alone and to manually create your own restore point before running WR.

I've informed Shane about these bugs and hope he can resolve them.

On using the standalone version of Registry Backup, it performed without error on this machine but produced the ProSvc error on another Win 10 machine.

After booting up wit install media on that one and performing the dism /restorehealth and sfc /scannow cmds for that mode, it performed okay.

On this machine it was more difficult to get out of as it put me into a loop back to the blue screen with that error.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 09:29:25 AM »
Hi Tom,

It seems we were typing at the same time. I appreciate your post and warning regarding the latest updates. I'll post this anyway and please understand it is not directed at you personally.

I thought I would wait for the next version before replying.
On examination of version 4.11.2, the only profile file that has changed is for W10. All others are as they were previously.
Given the changes noted with the latest version include:

"Updated default registry and file permissions for Windows 10 as of March 18th 2021"

there is a clear correlation with the profile file in question and registry/file permissions. Further to that point, it would seem obvious that a W7 '32 byte' file size in comparison to previous file sizes of approximately '8.00 KB' is clearly out of order. More-so since the issues with registry/file permissions for W7 began as soon as the file was dramatically reduced in size to '32 bytes' after Windows Repair v 4.9.

Whether one can analyze these files or not, given the supporting error logs along with seems to be an obvious error from a reputable authority on Windows functionality, I am at a loss as to why this has not been rectified. Many would want to put their faith in the expertise dealing with these matters and would assuredly be willing to pay for the privilege. This seemingly obvious oversight does however, make such matters difficult.

To be clear, assigning blame is not the point. Seeking answers is as always, the priority.

As for using a free program to analyze the 7z files, I have found 7Zip from Portable Apps does this quite well without charge:
https://portableapps.com/download
https://portableapps.com/downloading/?a=7-ZipPortable&n=7-Zip%20Portable&s=s&p=&d=pa&f=7-ZipPortable_19.00_Rev_3.paf.exe

Cheers.
Seeker
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 09:41:38 AM by Seeker »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 09:40:07 AM »
Thanks for those links for 7z.

Where are these profile files ?
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 09:49:34 AM »
You're quite welcome.

They all seem to reside in the same directory which is:

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions'

followed by the corresponding O.S.'s and files including of course profile.7z
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:44:33 AM by Seeker »

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 09:53:40 AM »
For me it is what it is.

Do you really need to go that deep ?
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 10:03:35 AM »
I understand where you're coming from. The rabbit hole is pointless without a worthwhile reason.

In this case the answer is yes. It's not the fact that a file is out of order in terms of file size; it's that it directly correlates to the error logs and dump files when using a version with that diminished file.

As indicated by the changes in the latest program and highlighted by my previous post, that file seems to be imperative for the program to work correctly and without errors.

That's why I'm stuck on version 4.9. It's the last version that has the correctly sized/configured profile file and is devoid of any error. The downside is, it may also be limited in comparison to later versions.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 03:09:40 PM »
Well I've recently test run 4.11.2 and it completed without error and the main log didn't have any errors reported in it.

Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2021, 01:48:27 AM »
Geez Tom,

You must be tired mate. You ran the program on W10, not W7 as indicated throughout the whole topic.
Try W7 and see what happens...

Cheers

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 04:38:17 AM »
As it happens, I did run it on my Win 7 laptop last night after updating the program.

As you will see from the log, other than one instance of it being unable to decompress one Permissions/Profile although it then reported as Done, the rest went without a hitch.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
Well that's as reported in my initial log and post. Though you didn't encounter a dump file, the failure to decompress points to the file in question i.e. 'profile.7z'. That failure to decompress is quite likely due to the fact that being 32 bytes in size, there's basically nothing in it.

Also, just because it states 'done!', that does not denote it has done anything successfully. I have tested this using the correctly sized 8.00 KB file and found a very different result.

Again, given the changes highlighted in the latest program relating to permissions in particular and the corresponding changes to the profile.7z file size for W10, the correlation seems quite evident.

If it is enough to state, well, it doesn't bother me, it's good enough etc, then what's the point and is that the standard to expect in general, even for paid programs? I don't mean to be offensive; it just seems to be an easy fix with what I have found are obvious issues in not doing so.

The alternative as previously mentioned may be to drop W7 altogether if people are truly intent on sticking with what some of us consider to be a continual work in progress in W10. Why not be rid of W8 and W8.1 too since it seems unlikely many people are continuing with those particular works of art...

Cheers

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2021, 03:42:27 AM »
I still haven't had a reply from Shane on this.

How is what you have observed detrimental to the successful running of the repairs ?

The main repairs are the same for both the free and paid for versions.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2021, 04:07:12 AM »
Yes, I didn't think you had received a reply. This site is clearly a time consuming endeavor.

Specifically, though you only found a failure in the profile.7z file log in the latest version, the corresponding ManageACL_64.exe.1648.dmp file I observed consistently is what I would classify as detrimental. Particularly as compared with a correctly configured/sized profile.7z file which ran the repairs without issue and set permissions on all files as they are intended.

Free vs Paid: that's the point. Is it not best business practice for free programs to run without issue to incentivize recipients to pay for the privilege? If problems are raised without solution, one would expect to find the same issue(s) with paid programs, so why pay for unresolved problems?

It seems we are going in circles somewhat Tom and you are not receiving any clarification from elsewhere, so I thank you for your time and input. Perhaps the information will make headway in the future, we will see.

Regards,
Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »
I haven't been able to find any dump files on my Win 7.
Tom.