Author Topic: Problem in all versions post v 4.9 on W7  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
Re: Problem in all versions post v 4.9 on W7
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 03:22:26 AM »
I'm not sure which other 2 to which you are referring. The Everything file is my config for those unfamiliar with that program as I wrote. The text file just references the Profile Permissions Error in the dump file and the ManageACL can be opened with notepad or whatever text editor you prefer (I just re-checked). Alternately, there are dump analyzer programs as I'm sure you are aware.

Whatever the case, they all match the Profile file along with the 'failure to decompress' in the repair log you found, which again is little wonder given the truncated 32 byte size. When the file is replaced with the older version 4.9 file of approximately 8000 bytes or 8 KB along with the necessary changes to file_list to match the checksums, the program runs without issue, dump files, error logs etc.

If that's not good enough evidence for anyone, I respect their right to make that choice. Respecting their choice is another matter altogether.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 06:51:01 AM »
Though I was intending to write a lengthy explanation of the workaround to highlight the advanced methods outlined within the program, in light of the lack of acknowledgement, explanation or for that matter action to take what would amount to a simple step to eradicate this issue, I'll keep it short and hopefully useful for anyone with the wherewithal to utilize what they may find.

As most users would know when initializing the program, it runs a file check and MD4 hash to ensure the files in the program match the file_list and the corresponding checksums. This is useful for advanced users who want to customize the service start-up for example as depicted in the attached file: 'Set Windows Services To Default Startup'.
In that file at the end there is a note regarding checksums, which is how I managed to implement this workaround and prove my findings along the way.

If you take a functioning file (in this case the W7 Profile from v 4.9) and simply replace it with the problematic file of the same name (in any version after v 4.9, they're all the same), you would get a checksum error message when the program is loading. Attached are the functioning 8 KB Profile file from v 4.9 and the 32 byte file from v 4.11.7.

To overcome this, if you have the file_list from the alternate program version, you can copy the file's checksum from there or just make a note of it via copy and paste using a text editor. Then open then file_list in the later version and change the checksum for the changed file to match that files checksum from the original file_list or what the program reported in error. Close the file_list after pasting over the original checksum (make a back-up just in case) and you're done.

Now you have a matching file and checksum in the file_list. When you next initialize the program, all files, hashes etc are shown to be intact. Moreover, the repairs are performed without error, dump files or malformations of any kind and the repair log reports all success in all areas including the profile permissions, unlike before the changes were made.

If that is useful to anyone, then it's worth the effort. If it continues to be discarded or not taken as self evident, then I would raise caution to anyone before trusting bugs, glitches or other issues have been addressed in a manner that ensures the safety of your O.S.

Please note, I came here to contribute my time and energy for the benefit of this program and the users herein, with the hope of making a worthwhile difference and learning what I could; nothing more.

Cheers,

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 07:18:13 AM »
As the program runs fine as you've previously said, why are you bothering with this ?

Most people who have used this program are full of praise for it.

The program has moved on from 4.9 and Shane is currently adding Win 11 to it.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 08:44:47 AM »
Wow, some people you just can't reach.

The program runs fine only after my workaround i.e. importing an old file and checksum. Without that workaround, the 32 byte file in all versions post 4.9 causes the same issue. Equally, the workaround solves that issue.

The point is, once that file was reduced from 8000 bytes to 32 bytes it failed to decompress (since it was basically empty) and failed to do the job as it was intended.

Restore the file in the program... Or is that the standard, if most people don't know there's a problem, who cares? Move on and put your faith in the next overlooked flaw.

Whatever.

I've had enough of this.

All that's happened here is a prime example of how trust in a program is eroded.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 09:17:33 AM »
Search the forum and let me know how many serious complaints you find about the program.

I've used it a number of times as trials without any adverse effects.

How does what you have found affect the program.

I ran it on my Win 7 and there were none of the files you have found.

Check out v4.11.6 to see if it still produces what you have found.

It may be academic though as Shane is working on a new version that will incorporate Win 11.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 11:33:27 AM by Boggin, Reason: Typo »
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2021, 04:05:42 PM »
From your attached repair log:

'Decompressing & Updating Windows Permission File C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\files\permissions\7\profile.7z
Failed to decompress the file!'

The Everything program on the previous page was recommended in case people had dump files on their system which weren't caught by other means as I had found.

Nonetheless, your own log file states quite clearly what I have pointed out. Stating this file presents no problem over and over is not an explanation of a failure in your own logs nor does it satisfy any measure of basic math given the virtually non-existent size of 32 bytes and corresponding failure to decompress.

As written, the truncated profile file is the same in all post v 4.9 programs and predictably, causes the same issues. The last attached 32 byte profile file is from v 4.11.7

Since there has been absolutely no acknowledgement of the possibility of an issue, there is at this stage, no reason to believe any updated version will attend to this all too easy to fix file or any other that may raise concern for users for that matter.

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2021, 02:43:21 AM »
I've asked Shane to look at your thread but as he's getting over Covid, I'm not sure when I'll get a reply.
Tom.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2021, 02:15:35 AM »
I've just had a look at your repair log but I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

It looks about the same as I get, although I thought you had run it more recent than March this year.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2021, 03:56:16 AM »
I've asked Shane to look at your thread but as he's getting over Covid, I'm not sure when I'll get a reply.

That's a step in the right direction. I hope Shane recovers well, along with all people affected directly and indirectly by Covid.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2021, 04:04:07 AM »
From your repair log I don't see what you are complaining about.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2021, 04:30:46 AM »
I've just had a look at your repair log but I'm not sure what you are complaining about.

It looks about the same as I get, although I thought you had run it more recent than March this year.

From your repair log I don't see what you are complaining about.

Just when it seemed we might be getting somewhere. It's interesting you think 'my' repair log is about the same as 'yours'. Look a little closer and actually read it or my post for that matter; IT IS YOURS!!!

I almost renamed it 'Tom's Repair Log', but I didn't want to be rude or presumptuous. I'll re-attach it re-named in case you come back with another response of equal measure.

For the record, despite (as written ad infinitum) all of the W7 profile files being identical post v.4.9, I have tested on every version and found the same results. You'll have to take my word on that. Quite honestly, I've grown weary of contributing explanations and efforts only to have them dismissed without any level of logical rationale or reasoning.

All yours, Tom.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:36:15 AM by Seeker »

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »
Keeping Unlocked in case Shane or someone else is able to offer some explanation which may give clarity for not only this, but for all future files and program functionality, irrespective of O.S.

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2021, 09:48:53 AM »
I'd passed a link for your thread onto Shane but found he had been suffering from Covid.

He's recovered from that now but is currently working on a WR update to incorporate Win 11.

I can pass another link to your thread onto Shane but he has a lot of other work to catch up on.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 11:06:25 AM »
Cheers for doing so. That's all anyone can ask.

I have no doubt he is incredibly busy which is unlikely to change anytime soon.

Building on a foundation that makes logical sense across the board may suggest a more elegant, efficient process to minds of a certain persuasion.

Unless of course, everything I have encountered is completely without merit   :wink:

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 12:18:49 PM »
Shane being the author of WR is the only one who can make changes to the program.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2021, 06:53:59 PM »
Though I'll be running W7 and W10 or W11 concurrently, it's disappointing to see no acknowledgement, explanation or change to the file in question in version 4.12.0.

I haven't tested it as yet though being the same 32 byte size, date etc, I expect a similar result. Disappointing given W8.1 has been given attention and the lack of response of any kind seems almost intentional for reasons unrelated to justifiable discourse.

I reiterate that paying for the service is not an issue for myself or many others on the proviso some level of support is engendered for a supported O.S. and issues with the program are addressed in a courteous, reasonable manner.

Perhaps it is believed that the 32 byte file size and all reported examples are incorrect, ill-conceived or have some other reason for the complete lack of response. Continuing to leave the file unchanged despite my workarounds demonstrating the contrary using the older, approximately 8000 byte file and checksum from version 4.9 is quite simply unconscionable.

Perhaps you might like to ban me next for good measure. That would be consistent with what I have experienced and for the record, I'm not the only individual on this forum to cite sub-standard support (paying 'Hero' members included).

Cheers...

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2021, 01:46:48 AM »
I'll email him again with a link to your thread - that's all I can do.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2021, 05:00:28 AM »
As expected, version 4.12.0 was tested and the results were identical, including logs, dump files etc..

After the profile file and checksum were changed using the aforementioned workaround, there were no such errors.

Moreover, the latest version '4.12.1' has the same 32 byte profile unchanged, despite these consistent and predictable errors.

It's fair to conclude that an issue on any O.S. which is seen as unimportant or insignificant, will simply be ignored. Users will have to find their own solution, avoid certain components of the program or avoid the program altogether; irrespective of payment, 'reviewer status' or otherwise.

How unfortunate...

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2021, 05:31:22 AM »
Shane and part of his family have had Covid so not a lot would have been done then.

I'm emailing Shane on Wednesday about another member's problem so I'll include a link to your thread.

BTW - I'm a volunteer on this forum and don't receive any payment.
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Today at 08:57:41 AM »
That's understood, in part. As written previously, it's disappointing that attention has been afforded to W8.1 or as written in the Changelog for v 4.12.0:

Added Windows 11 support
Updated default registry and file permissions for Windows 8.1, 10 and 11
Restored the Repair App store. The repair has been redone from scratch and is enabled in the repairs again.
Multiple small bug fixes and a lot of code improvements.

Yet, this small, but obvious change to the 32 byte profile file has been completely ignored. Even exchanging it for the working file and checksum as found in version 4.9 and previous.

I understand only Shane can make such changes and that you volunteer your time Tom. Personally, I don't believe that is sustainable.

What is in essence a valuable program is bound to grow in demand and complexity. It only makes sense that those involved be incentivized to provide the best possible support for which users would surely be happy to pay.
You get paid, users are happy to spend far less wasted time finding solutions for what can amount to nightmarish problems and the makers have a more profitable business model.
For those not in a position to pay, they will at least have access to quality knowledge until they are able to pay or contribute in some other way.

Everyone wins...

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Today at 09:15:50 AM »
For a start - I do not get paid.

I email Shane with any concerns about WR as he's the only one who can address those.

I've emailed Shane today with a link to your thread, so it's down to him to address your concerns.

How does what you have found impact WR ?
Tom.

Offline Seeker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Today at 09:54:46 AM »
For a start - That's exactly what I wrote; I believe you should be paid...

"I understand only Shane can make such changes and that you volunteer your time Tom. Personally, I don't believe that is sustainable."

I was making a case for a better situation for all, beginning with volunteers such as yourself being incentivized with payment to provide greater input/support as the program demand/complexity grows.

Some of us think in terms of what is good for everyone. Despite altruistic efforts here, it seems I may be wasting time. When supportive comments are taken negatively, I'll take mine to go thanks...

Seeker.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Today at 11:33:25 AM »
You didn't answer my question -

How does what you have found impact WR ?

Tom.