Author Topic: Creating a Restore Point in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Error Message  (Read 3966 times)

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
While in Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking when Creating a Restore Point in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair I got the following Error Message Alert "Error Creating Restore Point -2147023812 - This service cannot be started in Safe Mode 0".

Please advise?

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
That's a new thing that Shane has added but in normal mode, while WR will report that it has successfully created a restore point, it doesn't physically create one - so it's best to manually create your own.

I've reported this to Shane.

While you can restore from a restore point in Safe Mode, you can't create one in that mode normally.

To access System Restore in Safe Mode, press the Windows key and r together then type rstrui.exe into the Run box and press enter.

To create a restore point in normal mode, open Windows/File Explorer - right click on This PC and select Properties where you will see System protection on the right.

In Safe Mode you don't get that menu.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 01:32:28 am by Boggin, Reason: Typo »

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
I have done this for years using Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking when Creating a Restore Point in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair but I never got an error message but I perhaps it did not create one as I think you are saying.

Your response is not clear to me.

1. Are you saying that I cannot create a Restore Point using Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking when Creating a Restore Point in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair?

1. a.  If yes, will Shane fix that issue in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair?

1. b. If no, will Shane disable it in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair?

2. Are you saying that I can create a Restore Point using Windows 10 Safe Mode with Networking by "press the Windows key and r together then type rstrui.exe into the Run box and press enter"?

Please advise?

In your response, please individually note which number/letter that you are replying to.

Thanks!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The error message is only a recent addition to the program by Shane.

You can only create a restore point in normal mode which is why the WR error message when trying to use the program to create a restore point in Safe Mode w/o Networking.

As I've already said, WR does not physically create a restore point in normal mode even though it reports as successfully doing so.

Hence - you should manually create your own before running any repairs, although the Registry Backup tool works which you can restore from, but I prefer restore points.

I also think it's best to restore from a restore point in Safe Mode so that any antivirus program does not get in the way.

When I create a restore point, I name it Manual.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:11:54 pm by Boggin, Reason: Typo »

Offline DonZ1960

• View Profile
I got the Create Restore Point error message in Safe Mode with Networking for the first time ever as I used Tweaking.com - Windows Repair for years for that and it always said it created a Restore Point with a date/time stamp but I never verified it which is my bad. :)

If Tweaking.com - Windows Repair was never creating a Restore Point in Safe Mode with Networking for years and this error was not caught until now, then that is a major testing failure of Tweaking.com - Windows Repair!

You stated in sentence #2 "Safe Mode w/o Networking".

Did you mean Safe Mode with Networking?

I only use Safe Mode with Networking.

Thanks for your help!

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I also only use Safe Mode with Networking.

"Safe Mode w/o Networking" referred to Safe Mode with or without Networking.

Previously when I tested new versions of WR, initially in normal mode, I found it wasn't physically creating a restore point and reported this to Shane.

He has recently tried to rectify that with 4.11.2 but still hasn't got it.

I assume he's working on that.

Also previously there was a bug with Registry Backup 3.5.3 when you tried to restore from it.

That has been resolved with v4.0.