Author Topic: Options greyed out  (Read 11160 times)

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
Options greyed out
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:43:48 pm »
Register system files, Repair hosts file and unhide system files are all greyed out in the Windows repair options pane.

Why would this be?

Also, it didn't correct the inability to open a hyperlink from within Outlook 2007

I'm still getting the message of "General failure. The url was--------. The parameter is incorrect"

Can't cure this no matter what I do.

Have run different versions of this program, did 3 Repair reinstalls of Windows, changed the file types options, did various spyware/virus scans.

Windows Xp pro----continues to suck, as usual. :thinking:

Thanks

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Options greyed out
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 11:46:02 am »
What version of the program are you using? I dont have any code that greys those out, can you post a screen shot?

As for the outlook not opening links, if you search the forum I helped another person with this and gave him a reg file to replace the html reg key. That got him working :-)

I cant find it right now as I am heading out the door, if you cant find it let me know. :wink:

Shane

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »
Hi there-thank you for replying.

The greyed out items were in version 1.5, I've tried the 1.92 portable and they're not greyed out.

I searched using different key words and can't find the post you refereed to regarding the reg. file.

I hope you find it and I hope it works; I've tried resetting items in the registry and just about everything that I could by Googling, including doing a repair reinstall of Outlook 2007.

I've repaired this before, but nothing is working now.

By the way, it's that NO hyper links work, even if they are in a different program, like: 'A new version is available click here '  or on an email notifier 'click to go to account'..

All the hperlinking system wide is dead.

By the way---Using the repair and tweak programs noticeably sped everything up, although the repair program runs a really long time. like 3 hours if I remember.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:18:02 pm by xhawke »

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »
When it comes to the Windows repair tool ALWAYS make sure you have the newest version. I am always fixing bugs, repairs and then some. With this tool the newest version is a must. :wink:

Down the page on here is the change log
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

You can see the amount of changes since the 1.5 version you where using.

Here is the link to the html reg file
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,563.msg3982.html#msg3982

If you read that thread you will see he had trouble opening links. This had to do with the html reg setting. See how that goes :wink:

Shane

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:20 pm »
Great-thanks so much

I'll let you know if it works, I'm waiting for stupid 'Microjunk Safety Scanner' to complete-it's showing 7 infections after running for 42 hours.

The last time it said it found these and when I clicked 'next'  the box said no infected files were found.

I've scanned with at least 3 others and they're not finding anything.  :thinking:

I'll post back and let you know.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 03:26:32 pm »
I run a computer repair business and these are the 3 normal tools I run, give them a try if you havent yet :wink:

Tdsskiller
http://support.kaspersky.com/5350

Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

Malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Shane

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:51:42 pm »
After runni9ng the reg file, I'm now getting the message:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in affect on this computer.  :angry:

At this point, I'd be telling my customer that it's time to reinstall......

I've NEVER ran into a situation like this in my life.

PLUS---when I click on a shortcut on the start menu-I get the : "The shorctut cannot be placed her, do you want it created on the desktop?"  :angry:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »
The machine may still infected, did you run those other tools? You can also use combofix.exe

After the infection has been removed it most likely change reg permissions and set policies in the system to keep you from changing things.

Try running my Windows Repair All in One tool and run all the repairs, but only do it after you know the system is clean.

Shane

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:33 pm »
Well, malwarebytes, the full scanner, did find 1 infected file , the rest found none.

I was able to clear the Administrative lockout bu using a Microsoft 'Fixit' fix.

However, now I'm getting the same 'General Failure' for  the links.

I did run your new program, it didn't fix it nor did a reg file from a different site.

I'll probably just have to copy and paste for now, as I really can't afford to spend much more time on this.

I wish I could put Android on my pc, someone said it can be done......................... :thinking:

Thank's again for your help.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 02:51:24 pm »
Looks like a reinstall is the way to go, it is what I would do if it was my customer. A repair install you could try first though.

My windows repair tool is only a year and a half old and I am always adding to it. It cant fix everything but it does keep getting better and better :-)

Shane

Offline xhawke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 04:47:23 pm »
Well, I ran Smitfraud fix and Combo Fix and they did nothing.

Now, as before, when I click on certain links on the start menu, I get the message: "A shortcut can't be created here, would you like it placed on your desktop?'

I like your fix it program a lot and I think it's wonderful that you give it up free.

It has noticeably sped up my system----the parts that still work, anyway.

Thanks again! :smiley: