Author Topic: Registry Backup Tool  (Read 21721 times)

Offline spooz2

• View Profile
Registry Backup Tool
« on: December 23, 2012, 07:23:09 AM »
It would be quite helpful for the Registry Backup tool to offer the option to back up triggered by the
the execution of .exe files.

This would allow the user to install new programs and revert back to pre-installation status if chosen.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Registry Backup Tool
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
Not a bad idea, but it would be hard to make work right.

Every time you opened any program, say email or internet it would pop up. Every single program on the system including all services are exe's. While it would be best to have it only do it when installers are ran, there i no way that I am aware of that lets me know what is an installer or not. Plus that also means I would have to make some kind of monitor to watch every program that is opened, not to many people would like that :wink:

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline spooz2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
How about monitoring for setup.exe's?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 03:35:24 PM »
At that point I would just make a totally new program that was a monitor and when certain process names ran it would laucnh or do something else.

Wouldnt be a bad idea for a program down the road :-)

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
Registry Backup (RB) needs an improvement. There's a window that displays the name of the backup. When both Windows Repair and Simple System Tweaker invoke RB then they let RB display their name in that window. But the name in both cases, the name used is wider than the display window. So, perhaps you could enlarge that window. Yes, then also the button below the display window must be enlarged.

Or another possibility, shorten the name of the backup name that's passed on from these two programs to RB.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
Can you post a screen shot of what you mean?

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
See attachment. The window behind "Backup name".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:18:11 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »
Oh ok I see now.

The problem is, is that next to that text box is the yellow text that shows when a person uses the fall back backup method. I am running out of space lol, but I am sure I can get that box a little bigger.

Right now you will notice it is that size as it stops at the end of the button. Nothing more then trying to keep it aligned so it looks good :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 01:26:50 PM »
Here, this will show you the space I have to work with, I could make it a little bigger and move the text.

Here is a picture of the program in design mode :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
More Registry Backup (RB) thoughts:
- Do you store the name "Windows Repair Backup" in the registry ? I used RB from Windows Repair and since then it keeps popping up in the box behind "Backup Name" when I start my laptop and RB runs upon start up.
- Add an option "Automatically start RB upon start up". I ran Windows Repair once and made a backup using RB. As a result of that, RB now everytime runs when I start my laptop RB simply runs. RB took here a liberty I simply didn't/don't like.
- Add an option "run RB upon start up in silent mode".
- When running in silent (super silent ???) mode, I think, RB could show an icon in the System Tray. It's a clear sign RB is busy/running. Or is that already in the program ?
- Simple System Tweaker and Windows Repair come with a RB version. Since (I am sure) all programs are registered in the registry, you could let RB search for the latest installed version and run that version. The user even could have installed a separate stand alone version of RB. This would require RB to store the info in a special folder (e.g. "%systemroot%\Programdata").
- Did you add the latest RB version to Simple System Tweaker and Windows Repair ? Are you going to ?
- You certainly need to get rid of the "Close Advanced Settings" button. Because then the window closed and then the program replied with "Schedule deleted". I seemed to have clicked on the "Delete Schedule" button that's placed at the very same spot. (faulty mouse or faulty program ?). So, when the tab/pane "Advanced Settings" is open change the text on the "Open Advanced Settings" button to "Close Advanced Button".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:29:53 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:07:53 PM »
- Do you store the name "Windows Repair Backup" in the registry ? I used RB from Windows Repair and since then it keeps popping up in the box behind "Backup Name" when I start my laptop and RB runs upon start up.

Everything is stored in the settings.ini file

- Add an option "Automatically start RB upon start up". I ran Windows Repair once and made a backup using RB. As a result of that, RB now everytime runs when I start my laptop RB simply runs. RB took here a liberty I simply didn't/don't like.

The program didn't do that on its own. Under the settings tab is where you can set the startup. You might have accidentally clicked it. And it simply adds it to the windows task scheduler.

- Add an option "run RB upon start up in silent mode".

Already does, under the settings.

- When running in silent (super silent ???) mode, I think, RB could show an icon in the System Tray. It's a clear sign RB is busy/running. Or is that already in the program ?

Super silent is meant to show nothing. Users requested it. The other option is minimized where you still see it in the task bar and then it closes. Same things as a tray icon. Since the program isnt running in the background at all times I didnt think there was a need to code a tray icon.

- Simple System Tweaker and Windows Repair come with a RB version. Since (I am sure) all programs are registered in the registry, you could let RB search for the latest installed version and run that version. The user even could have installed a separate stand alone version of RB. This would require RB to store the info in a special folder (e.g. "%systemroot%\Programdata").

No, nothing is stored in the reg or outside the folders. Everything is in the settings file and the program is meant to be ran as a portable. So it runs from its location. As I update the reg backup program I replace it in the programs as well. I just haven't done the system tweaker yet as I am planning an update for it.

- You certainly need to get rid of the "Close Advanced Settings" button. Because then the window closed and then the program replied with "Schedule deleted". I seemed to have clicked on the "Delete Schedule" button that's placed at the very same spot. (faulty mouse or faulty program ?). So, when the tab/pane "Advanced Settings" is open change the text on the "Open Advanced Settings" button to "Close Advanced Button".

Already working on a change for the button, but I am not getting rid of it. I will just find a better space for it. No one has said they accidentally clicked other things.
http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,735.0.html

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 03:41:33 AM »
Your latest reply triggered this response. Remember, I look at the program as a user, not as a computer geek/techie.

- Get rid of the "Open advanced settings" & "Close Advanced Settings" buttons and instead add an extra tab called "Advanced Settings" or "Advanced"
- Get rid of the options "run under system/current user account". Instead offer the user the choice between "All users (Recommended)" and "Current user". Much less confusion for new (inexperienced) users. See attachment.
- Move the Task Scheduler (TS) options and other (more "geeky") options to the "Advanced settings" tab.
- Move the option "Do 1 Backup per day" to the "Settings" screen. Perhaps one or more other "basic" options from the "Advanced settings" tab can be moved to the "Settings" tab as well ?
- Am I right that RB has three command line switches (/silent, /supersilent, /auto) ? Change the names of two of those switches from "/silent" and "/supersilent" to "/minimized" and "/hidden". Then there's consistency with the options in the "Settings" tab. Again, it would remove a lot of confusion for inexperienced/new users. It certainly confused me.
- I still think that RB should display a system tray icon in the "Hidden" mode as long as the program is running. But then don't make it "clickable". Only let a "tool tip" show up. It gives the user an indication of what's going on. Otherwise the user could be confused why there's a delay when the user starts his/her computer.
- RB uses (among others) WMI and VSS. Perhaps you can include the VSS repair programcode (from Windows Repair) in RB. It should run that code at the very beginning of the program.
- Add one or more "repair" buttons to the "Support" tab. You can use the repair program code (WMI, VSS, .....) used in Windows Repair ! I don't know which other sub systems RB uses. Or put all that code under one "Repair" button. But then don't let any MSDOS windows pop up. Do it all (very) hidden.
- Replace all text with a button with a question mark on it. It frees up a lot of space in the window. When the user clicks on that question mark then that text/an explanation could show up in a separate window. Or use the question mark feature.

- Under which name is the RB task registered in TS ? Because I can't find the task anywhere in TS. Am I overlooking something ? But e.g. Piriform's Ccleaner DOES show the RB task. Weird !!
- According to some info I came across on a forum the Windows 7 (Win 8 ???) TS still has one or more bugs in it. How do I report those bugs to MS ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:07:36 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:16:12 PM »
Wait, what version of RB are you running? That startup picture isnt in the program.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »
No, the picture is from Cleanmem. I hope something similar could be in RB.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
No reason to have a startup, it does have a scheduling option though which i the same thing :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 04:18:09 PM »
I came across a bug. There's an inconsistency between the way RB is run. When the user has installed RB then the default option is to run RB hidden upon start up while at the same time the "Settings" tab says "Normal".
Only when the user has changed the setting from "Normal" to "Hidden" or "Minimized" (and then perhaps back to "Normal") an extra line in the setting file emerges ("Schedulecommand=") and the inconsistency disappears. This line controls whether RB is run in Hidden, Minimized or Normal mode upon startup.

I went through the backup folders created by RB. In every folder made later than January 30 of this year I came across a file called "dos_restore.cmd". Isn't this file supposed to be in every main backup folder once ? Do I need this file to let RB restore the registry ?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:27:22 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 10:35:32 PM »
Odd the Schedulecommand= isnt even in the code.

Also the code is pretty basic for it

If OptionCommand(0).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/supersilent"
End If

If OptionCommand(1).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/silent"
End If

If OptionCommand(2).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/auto"
End If

I will see if I can replicate it. I havent been able to so far.

I went through the backup folders created by RB. In every folder made later than January 30 of this year I came across a file called "dos_restore.cmd". Isn't this file supposed to be in every main backup folder once ? Do I need this file to let RB restore the registry ?

That file should be in every backup. It is made for that backup and its location.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 12:27:54 AM »
More info on the "Schedulecommand=" line. It can have three different values: 0=Hidden, 1=Minimized, 2=Normal. See the tab "Settings". See attachment.

I would like to see RB's GUI when it makes a registry backup the first time I start my laptop on any given day. It would give me a clue why the start up procedure on my laptop takes so much time. So, I ticked "Normal" but to no avail. Even when I select "User Account" the RB GUI never shows its face. A confirmation of RB actually running upon start up, was found in Task Manager.

Yes, I use RB v1.5.1
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:20:03 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 04:02:43 AM »
Also the code is pretty basic for it

If OptionCommand(0).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/supersilent"
End If

If OptionCommand(1).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/silent"
End If

If OptionCommand(2).Value = True Then
    .CommandLine = "/auto"
End If

I don't know what's "hiding" elsewhere in the program code but this looks to me like that this is another bug in the code. Where's the option/command line "/Normal" ? I see "/auto" instead of "/normal". From my standpoint of view, "/auto" should only mean that RB is run without human interference. But then it also could run "/Normal" at the same time, i.e. show the familiar RB GUI.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 04:10:27 AM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
This isnt a bug. The .commandline is for the trigger. It is the commandline sent to the exe when it is ran.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
And the thoughts/suggestions keep coming (for v1.5.2):
- Make the "Show system Tray icon" option independent of the "Hidden" option.
- I would like to see a number of command line switches:
    - /Auto. Allowing RB to run without human interference.
    - /Normal, /Hidden. Run RB normal or hidden. Default value: /Normal.
    - /name: xxxxxx. This name can be used in the name of the backup.
    - /help: displays a help screen in CMD.exe.
- Perhaps you can enlarge the "Backup  Progress" window. Then you could move one or more "progress" messages to that (pop up) window.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29:43 PM »
More suggestions:
- Change the text from "Scheduling options" to "Auto Start Up Scheduling options". Adding the words "Auto" and/or "start up" would remove a lot of confusion.
- Change the words "Create (schedule)" to "Apply (start up) options". Get rid of "Delete Schedule" and add an option "Automatically run upon start up". Like it's done in Cleanmem. I am not a programmer so I don't know how complicated the programming of this code is.

The thoughts above give an indication in which direction the GUI could be changed/improved.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Here's another thing I don't like in RB v1.53.

The default backup folder for the registry files is currently "C:\RegBackup". That's what the program says and does when the user has ticked the option "Change Backup Location". But when I untick that then the backup folder changes to the subfolder "Backups" in the folder where RB has been installed but the program still displays the foldername "C:\RegBackup". Extremely confusing !!

On the other hand I can imagine that the user wants ALL backups stored in one place/folder. In e.g. "C:\RegBackup". Because RB is also supplied with Simple System Tweaker and Windows Repair. But then I think you should modify the text that belongs to this option as well.

In other words, this option, most definitely, needs to improved. The current state of this option creates too much confusion and this problem needs a solution.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
When you take the check mark off it greys out the text box, and then the text under it says where the default location will be. I have the C:\Regbackup text in there as a default. If you changed it and then took the check off it would hold the text to what ever you changed it to.

So really it is just that when you take the check mark off it doesnt clear the text, I do that so if a person turns it back on the path is already there from before.

Also I try to influence people to store the backups on the root of the windows drive. And I do that for one reason only. If they have to do a restore of the registry from the recovery console it is far easier to get tot he backups on the root of the drive vs going into the program files folder and deeper.

http://www.tweaking.com/articles/pages/tweaking_com_registry_backup_online_help,3.html

I want even the common user to be able to restore as easily as possible :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 06:13:57 AM »
Did some more testing (RB v1.53).
- It seems that now all files are deleted when I delete a RB registry backup, instead of only deleting "Dos_restore.cmd" (as reported previously). Perhaps deleting "dos_restore.cmd" only, was the outcome of some peculiar combination of circumstances ? Again, weird.
- Still came across that "Schedulecommand=" line in "Settings.ini". You're saying it isn't included in the program code. Odd. Perhaps you overlooked something ? Or made one or more typos ?

More suggestions:
- Add a "/restore" command line switch. Using that switch could make RB go directly to the "Restore" screen.
- There's a line in the "settings.ini" file called "DidCloseProperly=". It's set to False when RB is started. I would suggest you change this. I think this line should be changed to False only (!!) right before RB starts to make a backup and is set to True only when the backup procedure has been successful. This would avoid one situation/problem I came across. I opened RB and changed a few settings but didn't make a backup of the registry. Then the computer screen went black because I choose to ignore the warning that the computer's battery was almost empty. When I restarted my laptop (now using AC power) and restarted RB a message popped up saying something along the line of "Previous Backup failed". While I knew - for certain - I didn't make a backup the last time I used RB.
- Perhaps it's useful to add a variable/line to "Settings.ini" that tells the user which backup method has been used the last time RB made a backup ? E.g. "BackupMethodUsed=1" (for VSS) or "BackupMethodUsed=2".