Author Topic: Registry Backup Tool  (Read 21722 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
Re: Registry Backup Tool
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
- Still came across that "Schedulecommand=" line in "Settings.ini". You're saying it isn't included in the program code. Odd. Perhaps you overlooked something ? Or made one or more typos ?

Nope nowhere in my code or in my settings.ini file. It could be an old command I had from the start that I later removed. Delete it out of the settings.ini file and you will see it doesnt come back :-)

- There's a line in the "settings.ini" file called "DidCloseProperly=". It's set to False when RB is started. I would suggest you change this. I think this line should be changed to False only (!!) right before RB starts to make a backup and is set to True only when the backup procedure has been successful. This would avoid one situation/problem I came across. I opened RB and changed a few settings but didn't make a backup of the registry. Then the computer screen went black because I choose to ignore the warning that the computer's battery was almost empty. When I restarted my laptop (now using AC power) and restarted RB a message popped up saying something along the line of "Previous Backup failed". While I knew - for certain - I didn't make a backup the last time I used RB.

How it works is when you start the program in the startup code it sets it to false. In the shutdown code of the program it changes it back to true. That is for if the program crashes for any reason. So only when the program closes properly does it get changed back to true.

- Perhaps it's useful to add a variable/line to "Settings.ini" that tells the user which backup method has been used the last time RB made a backup ? E.g. "BackupMethodUsed=1" (for VSS) or "BackupMethodUsed=2".

This is already done in the backup log with each backup. Most users dont look at the setting.ini file. It is just a settings file for the program it isnt meant to give the user information :-)

Shane
PLEASE EDIT YOUR TOPIC AND PUT (SOLVED) IF YOU ARE ALL FIXED.

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
- Still came across that "Schedulecommand=" line in "Settings.ini". You're saying it isn't included in the program code. Odd. Perhaps you overlooked something ? Or made one or more typos ?

Nope nowhere in my code or in my settings.ini file. It could be an old command I had from the start that I later removed. Delete it out of the settings.ini file and you will see it doesnt come back :-)

Then tell me: Why does this line keep popping up in the "Settings.ini" file when I change the start up mode (from e.g. "Normal" to "Minimized" or "Hidden") ? It did come back !!! Even after I deleted that line ? Did you bother to take the time to test what happens when the user changes this option ? I just re-tested changing this option and it DID confirm what I reported !! It only takes less than a minute !! Do your own testing !!!!!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
Doh! I looked up the wrong word in the code lol

That setting is in there and is just the setting for which option you choose in the program, 0,1 or 2. Again just a setting the program uses :-)

I was getting confused with it and the task scheduler lol

My brain gets fired sometimes with the number of programs I keep an eye on and I am making a new game AND I am making another program for tweaking.com that will reindex the registry.

To much code in my damn head lol

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
No problem. I know you're a busy man. You've got a computer repair shop in order to earn a living. But if you're too busy then simply ditch a number of "projects". Like e.g making a new game and making a program that re-indexes the registry. There're only 24 hours in a day and you've got a family to take care of. Lars Hederer's REGTOPT will do the job of compacting the registry very nicely.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
Just like how I made the reg backup tool to expand on erunt I am doing the same with the reindexer as REGTOPT, but I am taking it further :-)

The nice thing about this and why I am doing it, 90% of the code is already done in the reg backup program. So this new program will only take me a day or so to make. Just started on it now. One feature is an analyze option where it will hows you the size of the registry now and after so you can decide if you even need to do it. Other wise the program will be simple and not hard for me to make.

As for the game that is something I have wanted to do for a long time. It is a word game unlike any other that I came up with and so I am making it and it will be part of tweaking.com but I have to lean a whole new programming to make it so i wont be rushing it lol

I have a wife and 4 kids to feed, who has time for a break? lol

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline rbfb

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:32 AM »
I would just like to add my vote for a command line option to the registry backup tool.  One of the good things about ERUNT was this quick ability to save the registry and just as quickly restore it using batch or or other scripts.  Unfortunately, ERUNT has not been updated recently and it chokes on hidden partitions.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
It already has that option :-)

That is how it runs from the task scheduler. The settings you want are kept in the settings.ini file in the folder of the program and you can use a couple of different command lines to auto backup :wink:

I added those back in v1.4.0
v1.4.0
The program now detects if it didn't close right, if so ask if they want to use the fallback backup method instead (This is for people who get a blue screen of death when trying to use the volume shadow copy)
You can now have the program always use the fallback backup method instead of the volume shadow copy service. The goal of this is for the people who have a messed up VSS on their system. Instead of making them wait for the VSS to fail it will now run right away.
Per user request you can now have the program only make 1 auto backup per day. (This is for the people who have it set to backup at system startup but reboot their machines multiple times per day)
Change the -silent command to run the backup minimized.
Add some new command line options. -supersilent (Backups but shows no GUI at all) -auto (Runs the program, does a backup and then closes, the user can see it as it works, this was the original way the -silent command use to work)
Now that the program has 3 different command lines it can use, the user can now tell the program which command to use for the scheduled backups.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 06:25:40 AM »
I came across a problem with RB. RB is always run upon startup but every now and then this process keeps running, even after some 40 minutes after starting up my laptop. And with high memory usage (~ 50%). It looks like there's a problem/clash with other programs (AVAST virusscanner ?, .......... ?) that are run/started upon start up as well. See attachment.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 01:44:45 PM »
Does that say 50% CPU?

From the looks of it the program is stuck in a loop of some kind (Which explains the high CPU). Do you have it set to show itself at startup?

How often does it happen?

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
It's a picture of Taskmanager (in dutch) sorted by CPU usage (arrow head). Translation for the header info: "Processname",  "Account", "CPU usage", "Memory usage", "Description".

In another part of the picture the "System Up Time" is shown (~ 30 minutes). RB (v1.5.3) is run with the boxes "Normal" and "Show Tray Icon" ticked. I looked in the folder "C:\regbackup" and RB didn't make a backup (at ~ 14.00 hours) at this particular point because it already had made a backup in the morning (at ~ 8.15)

I fear it has a conflict with another program. AVAST antivirus (not the free version) ? CLEANMEM ? ................ ? But which program ? Does RB use some resources other programs need as well ? An special icon in the System Tray tells me that for the first say 30, 45 seconds to 1 minute the harddisk is constantly busy reading & writing. And it seems that there RB is "thrown off the rails". I will tell RB to do a backup every time I reboot. Perhaps then this irregular behaviour shows up once more. To be continued.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
Make sure ot use the newest version 1.6.0 and let me know.

On some older posts I had some users where the program would do the backup and then get stuck on the closing down. And it only seemed to happen at startup and if you had it set to run hidden.

Has something to do with the way it is closing itself and its controls even though they where never shown. I did some code changes to try and make it better and it seemed to help.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2013, 02:14:34 AM »
I fear, CLEANMEM running upon start up threw RB into a loop with high CPU usage. That's why I removed a shortcut to CM that was placed in a "Start up" folder. We'll have to see if this helps. Time will tell.

Upon start up, one's computer is very busy with reading + writing from/to the harddisk (e.g. AV related I/O). Perhaps it's possible to let RB monitor disk "traffic". When that "traffic" has slowed down (a little) then RB could start making a registry backup ?

Here's a new (and - IMO - better) layout for RB version v1.61: When RB runs upon start up under the System Account then there's no visible indication that RB is running, other than in Task Manager. But that changes when RB is run under the current  user account. That's why I moved the "Hidden", "minimized", "Normal" and "Show Tray Icon" options directly under "Run under User Account". This makes it more clear that these options belong to this type of account. And grey out all four (sub-)options when the user has selected "Run under System Account". This eliminates a lot of confusion. See attachment.

The text behind "run under System Account" could be "This ALWAYS backs up the Entire registry".
The text behind "Run under Current User Account" could be "When this account has no Administrator rights only a part of the registry will be backed up".

- Let the user be able to decide whether or not he/she wants a System Tray Icon to show up, independent of "Hidden", "Minimized" or "Normal".
- Change the text "Scheduling options" to e.g "Auto start up schedule options".
- Change the text "Create schedule" to "Apply Schedule" or e.g. "Create start schedule".

Currently I have to hit "Delete Schedule" before I can create a new start up schedule. Isn't it possible that when I hit "Create Schedule" the old schedule get overwritten/refreshed ?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:47:39 PM by Willy2 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Tweaking.com
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
Currently I have to hit "Delete Schedule" before I can create a new start up schedule. Isn't it possible that when I hit "Create Schedule" the old schedule get overwritten/refreshed ?

Right now there isnt that I am aware of. The task scheduler doesnt have an api to open the edit rule.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
There's - IMO - no need to use a "Edit Schedule" API. RB could do it like Cleanmem:
- delete old schedule
- write new schedule
Because RB already has a "build schedule info" (sub-)routine. Then RB could automatically update Task Scheduler everytime the user changes something (like in Cleanmem). Then RB could get rid of the "Create Schedule" & "Delete Schedule" buttons. That creates space for an additional "Automatically start at Windows start" option. See attachment for a possible layout.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:44:33 AM by Willy2 »