Author Topic: Beta Repair System Restore  (Read 152861 times)

Offline Shane

• Administrator
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Repair System Restore
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
Ah I see.

My goal is for people who's system restore isnt working to try it and see if it fixes it. MS provides no info on system restore or what it needs, so it has been a rather slow task trying to trace it down and see what is needed to make a proper repair for it.

And to make things more fun, I have found that system restore completely changes in each version of windows with what services and files it uses. Fun fun lol

Shane

Offline nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2014, 02:44:08 am »
Hello to everybody.Please help.reset system permission failed:Starting Repairs...
   Started at (27/9/2014 12:11:46 ìì)

Done, but failed, at (27/9/2014 12:12:18 ìì)
   Total Repair Time: 00:00:37

The current repair has failed to start 5 times.
Something is keeping the repair from running.
Please post in the Tweaking.com forums for support.

Running Repair Under Current User Account
   Running Repair Under Current User Account
   Running Repair Under System Account

The current repair has failed to start for over 30 sec.
Trying Again....

Trying Again....

Trying Again....

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2014, 10:17:01 am »
If you are having trouble with the program then please start a new thread. Also make sure your antivirus is disabled when you run the repairs incase it is keeping the tweaking_ras.exe from running the repair under the system account.

Start a new thread and I will help you there :wink:

Shane

Offline Cyborgjimi

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2014, 02:19:08 am »
In Tweaking.com - Windows Repair All In One v1.9.3 I have added a beta repair to repair the system restore for Vista, 7 & 8.

Please post your results here on how the repair went for you. :wink:

Shane
system error 1060 it says, I am dim in the field of what any of this means so I assume that it wasn't fixed, I can't copy the log to send you it, it won't let me, or I just don't know how to do it.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2014, 12:06:56 pm »
system error 1060 it says, I am dim in the field of what any of this means so I assume that it wasn't fixed, I can't copy the log to send you it, it won't let me, or I just don't know how to do it

The volume shadow copy service is missing on your system. In the Windows Repair try running all the repairs instead of the beta repair. Make sure to run them all :wink:

Shane

Offline bebeblu

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2015, 07:14:59 pm »
THANK YOU THANK YOU ... I have  tried everything to get my system restore to work again ... this little beta fix did the trick.  I still have errors on my hard drive the tweaking can't seem to fix, but at least I got this to work!!   :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 09:33:14 pm »
Great to hear the beta repair worked for you! I havent had much feed back on it in a while. So very happy to hear it helped.

Shane

Offline bebeblu

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:21 pm »
 BUT Then .. it stopped working again .. as I said I seem to have an error on my hard drive that won't be fixed.  It seems that one of the programs I ran - chkdisk or sfc (which found error but couldn't fix them) - disabled system restore.  So I ran your beta program again and it was "restored" again ..   trouble is all the old restore points go away each time it gets hosed.   

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2015, 02:29:22 pm »
You might have an antivirus or something else that is causing the restore points to be deleted. I personally hate system restore (I never use it, and my system is faster for it, I do my own backups) and it is easy to break, not to mention it doesnt do you any good if your drive goes bad, because all the restore points are on the same drive lol

Shane

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
Repaired
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 08:47:11 pm »
I can now do restore and the old points are not disappearing .

Offline morciguillo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2015, 08:28:30 pm »
YES IT WORKED!  :smiley:
I was about to reinstall windows 7 as no other solution found on the Internet would has worked for me. I was always getting "Backup cannot start due to an internal error (0x81000027)" every time I wanted to configure Windows backup. I tried "Windows Manager" program, changing some services startup mode, Microsoft forums tips, etc.

I have 360 Total Security antivirus installed, the first time I tried your fix it got in the way, then I disabled it and ran the fix, a second time, went to control panel, clicked on configure backup with not much hope but this time it worked.

Thank you very much.

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2015, 01:52:25 pm »
@Morciguillo:

- Did you have problems with "Windows Backup" or with "System Restore" ?
- Did you run "Repair System Restore Beta"  as well ?

Offline BludBaut

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2015, 06:29:19 pm »
Starting Repairs...
   Started at (5/25/2015 8:14:59 PM)

Done, but failed, at (5/25/2015 8:15:30 PM)
   Total Repair Time: 00:00:32

The current repair has failed to start 5 times.

Try running the repairs in Windows Safe Mode. (This will keep 3rd party programs from getting in the way of the repairs)
If the repairs still fail then please post in the Tweaking.com forums for support.
--

I ran Tweaking.com Windows Repair the other day (always in safe mode with networking and almost always with a power drain before) and it showed many reparsed files fixed, but I got the same error as above when I later tried to run the repairs.

Since my computer has refused to "wake up" after going to sleep (monitors do not come on no matter what I try) and I have to turn off the computer and then reboot and sometimes the monitors won't come on then unless I click to enter setup or safe mode. After entering setup or safe mode, rebooting isn't a problem.

Computer makes a prominent "click" when monitors come on and always has. I have a new power supply, but with the many Windows problems I've had for a good while, I'm not sure where the problem lies.

Another thing that seemed strange was when I started the program today (and I think the last time too, but am not sure) the "file_list.txt" showed to be missing and I was instructed to reinstall. Is this file usually removed as a "check" to make sure we're using the latest version?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:35:05 pm by BludBaut »

Offline Jim

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2015, 04:27:28 pm »
Hello shane,

i am running Windows Vista home premium service pack 2

yes i have system restore working again, due to applications frequently crashing i ran
your windows repair programme, i have run it four times now, and the last time i also
ran the beta programme, at first system restore would not respond, the strange thing is
that it would not show up in 'Services' so the only way to get to it is by going through
control panel/system maintenance/back up your computer etc... to find it, then if you
click on it a box opens with the message that ''the system restore wizard is already
running....'' but if you then tried to create a restore point it would respond with
''catastophic failure 8000fff'' if you then try to reset it by removing the tick from
the 'C' drive a warning would appear that you are about to wipe off all restore points,
even though you have no restore points on there to wipe, it seemed to me that system
restore was sending a false message to the OS that it was working and so if i could get
it to shut down properly it would then reset itself, so i kept trying...

i have to tell you that each time i ran the windows repair it would mess with my Avira
anti-virus, even though i followed instructions to disable it first, not a big problem,
just meant i had to re-set Avira, and if anyone here is having the same problems here's
a couple of links to help make that easy...

www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1556
www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1409

doing this meant that i had to keep re-booting, before doing that each time i would try
again to re-set system restore hoping the re-boots would make a difference, then i tried
a different approach, and this time it worked,

i right clicked on my computer and selected properties, then selected 'system protection'
this meant that the UAC box would spring up confirming that you are the Admin, this made
the difference, i unticked the 'C' drive and ticked it again, i may or may not have re-
booted again i can't remember, then tried to create a restore point, success!, i have
since created a second one and windows itself has added a scheduled one, i have not yet
attempted to roll back to see if it works, oddly system restore still does not show up
in the 'services' but when i opened 'ccleaner' all restore points are there.

i hope this info helps others, and i would also like to thank you, i am broke so a big
thanks for the free repair programme, and the free advice, in the words of Ray Winstone
you are a diamond geezer mate.

Jim.   

Offline elaina

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2015, 02:35:05 am »
Hi Shane,

I am running windows 10 pro after upgrading from windows 8.1.
I am running the windows 10 on Mac boot camp.

My system restore is not working and I get the following message:

System Protection
The restore point could not be created for the following reasons:
The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the system and application event logs for more information. (0x80042306)
Please try again.

Thanks

Offline elaina

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2015, 02:42:12 am »
Shane,

As advised before , I ran windows repair v3.4.1 in safe mode twice and this didn't fix the issue.

Offline Shane

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:55 am »
Please start a new thread so I can help you :wink:

Shane

Offline MSchi

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:00 am »
Hi, i run the WIndows Repair but he failed ...... now i run the beta repair. can you help me?

Done, but failed, at (04.01.2016 14:01:19)
   Total Repair Time: 00:00:32

The current repair has failed to start 9 times.

Offline Boggin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 04, 2016, 05:58:05 am »
Are you running the latest version in Safe Mode with Networking as your antivirus program could be blocking.

Offline MSchi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2016, 09:02:49 am »
Are you running the latest version in Safe Mode with Networking as your antivirus program could be blocking.

YEs exactly!

Offline alouey

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2016, 02:22:14 am »
Missasip1938, this is a thread on how the repair system restore tool works, not the rest of the program. Was system restore working before or after the repair?

Willy2, that DLL is a system restore component and should be in your system32 folder.

Shane

I don't know whether this is the right place to post this so if I wrong then apologies in advance.

So I recently read an article in Computer Active regarding the solution Windows repair. I ran the program and all seemed to be good although it identified some 46 areas that require repair. I did the backup as recommend by you. The repairs took around 12 hours to complete but long story short It appeared to complete.
I then went on to use the Beta Restore repair tool. For some reason the repair completed however after the reboot there appeared to be some corruption on some programs (example IE11) the certificates on known websites didn’t function. And streaming failed on YouTube. I thought that somehow the corruption was due to the repairs so I tried to do system restore but after several failed attempts I did some research on failed certificates.
I then had a eureka moment as it turns out somehow during the repair(s) the system time and date got changed. Simple solution was to reset the time and date to current time. Problem solved.

I thought I’d let you know just in case this is a bug (undocumented feature) in the solution.
 :omg: Andy

makinero

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2016, 07:49:44 am »
A restore point is never the best way to undo system changes.
You have some problems with the system and would like to undo the changes and System Restore fail.

It sounds fun, but it should be:
"Restore: System Restore Point".
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 07:52:34 am by makinero »

Offline alouey

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2016, 11:59:26 am »
makinero  If your replying to my post I'm sorry but I don't understand you post

makinero

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:03 pm »
Example scenario:

On a computer that is running Windows 7 created a system restore point by using System Restore.
     Installed update 2572077, and then installed update 2446710 or 2518869.
     You start the computer using installation media for Windows 7 or Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).
     The user is trying to restore the system to set up a system restore point using the System Recovery Options menu.

In this scenario, System Restore fails. Moreover returned the following error message:
E_UNEXPECTED (0x8000FFFF)
---------------------------

Try to update the fixes to the system with Windows Update.
OR

For OEM system
Automated Installation Kit (AIK) Windows® Windows® 7 with the addition

or

Hotfix KB2732500

Offline Willy2

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2016, 01:37:47 pm »
@Alouey:
- Slight misunderstanding: Windows Repair doesn't "recommend" or "identify" problems on your system. Windows consists of a number of components and TRIES to fix/repair those components. Each repair can fix one or more important parts of Windows. And all those components have to work together to make Windows work. If you don't know what's ailing your system then simply run all repairs.
- System Restore is a wonderful tool if & when it works. Otherwise it's a REAL "pain in the **s". In that regard I would recommend to install Tweaking's Registry Backup. Some 95% of all errors occur in the registry and then having a backup of the registry is VERY helpful. It has saved my (computer) bacon some 6 to 7 times in the past.
- In previous versions a Windows component used by System Restore would be broken by running "the "Registering System files" on a Vista system (Do you have Vista ?). But that bug has been fixed in the new version of WR (v3.81).